Sign in to follow this  
sugarlandians

County cache dash

Well, we did it this past weekend and it was quite scary. Left Friday morning the 27th headed north hoping to get 35 counties all weekend. We rented a Nissan Cube from Enterprise (was all they had). Friday night at about 10:30, in Foard County., we hit a deer at about 60mph. Mrs says I never hit the brake. I think I may have for a microsecond but it did not slow us down a bit. It was a large doe and the front end of the car was demolished. Air bags deployed and I really thought the car was on fire because of the smells and fog from the airbag propellants and powders they use. The deer must have survived because there was no body anywhere. We were probably at that place for 2.5 hours alltogether with the sheriff deputy and then waiting on the wrecker. In all that time not a single car passed. I talked to the county sheriff today and he said that is probably the lonliest stretch of highway in Texas, and he has known people that broke down on that road and been stuck there for 24 hours. Thank God for a cell signal to call 911! We were towed to Vernon, Texas and got a good rate in a brand new Hampton Inn there thanks to the wrecker driver. Lost about half a day the next day waiting on a replacement car to be brought to us from Wichata Falls.

We were not injured but pretty well shaken up. We contimued with an abbreviated trip that took us all the way out to Muleshoe. It was so late in the day that we did not cache on the way back to our hotel in Comanche,Texas, but got up Sunday morning and did a few counties then headed home. Did not get home until 10pm, though. Alltogether 35 caches in 30 counties. so almost got what we set out to get. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!

Edited by sugarlandians

kianlo    17

Dear Fields,

Deer Fields,

Please remind me not to go on a trip with y'all. This time you run into a deer and don't even bother to slow down. Last time somebody jumped from the boat.

Glad y'all are fine. But things don't go well for the others or animals while y'all are on a trip it seems.

Nov64    55

WOW ... glad you guys are OK.

There are a lot of "Middle of Nowhere" in Texas and you were very lucky to have gotten a cell signal (half of the time I can't get a signal at my home)

Welcome home and {{hugs}}

TheNorman    132

Glad to hear that you are OK. I was going to say "everyone is OK" when I realized that the deer most likely was not.

kianlo    17

Hope you got the CDW insurance. Makes dealing with the rental car company so much easier also.

TAZ427    66

Glad everyone was ok, well everyone but the deer that is. The deer would not have survived long. It's not uncommon for a deer impact that the deer gets a 1/4 mile or more away before dropping from internal injuries.

Scary stuff! Glad to hear you guys escaped without serious injury - it sounds like you probably punted the deer into another state and that's why there were no remains to be found.

2katz    174

Glad you guys were ok AND still almost completed your goal!! When driving in the lonely Texas area's I try not to drive at night due to all of the deer out there. You never know...

Glad you are ok and were able to finish an abbreviated trip. Just got back from out west and saw deer next to the highway in the middle of the day. Never know which way they are going to jump.....

KeyResults    604

This happened to my friend near Colorado Springs a few years ago when a Mule Deer ran in front of her Mustang convertible. Like you she was not injured, but the car and the deer were totaled. It was hard for her to drive a car in the country for quite a while. She said the trooper told her that cows, horses, elk and big cats get hit "all the time" in the mountains but it's the people swerving to avoid a squirrel or coon that lose their lives most frequently.

Very glad you escaped to tell the tale.

K