Sign in to follow this  
crossmage

ET Hiway, Here We Come

OK, I just bought my plane tickets for my April trip to run the ET Highway. And I know that some very wise people have run it before me. But as far as I can tell, there has not been a single thread to collect their collected wisdom - and I could really use some of that wisdom.

So I hear the best idea is to get a mini-van with sliding doors on both sides and to leave them open. What is your feedback?

I had thought I would stay at the Little Ale'Inn, but some feedback made it seem like it would not be a pleasant stay - nor does the clown motel. So where WOULD be the best location to stay?

I used to hear about people doing the ET Highway, and then hitting Route 66 on the way back - with this being the ET v2, is this still possible? We are arriving on a Thursday night and returning on Monday afternoon.

What else is a must-do or must see? I heard something about a busy-day challenge out there and I have heard we have some locals with caches out there. This is the place to collect your ET wisdom. I need it - I will be there soon!

Ok here it goes........The four of us ManofSteel, Geohiker, Sticks and I all went to Vegas on Wednesday and drove to Barstow. We did 300 or so Route 66 caches that night and then got up early and did the other 600 or so. We bought food and coolers in Vegas. We then drove to Alamo and checked in at the MOTEL in Alamo. We went to the event. The next morning we got up early 5AM and gassed up and supplied. We made our way to 500 and started caching. Sun just came up. We hit 1008 over the next 13 hours. We then went all the way back to Alamo and got up at 5:30AM and went and did the spaceship and Alien. Then did the other 500. The next day we hit a bunch of random caches. Make sure you hit. FENDER BENDERGC32ZJ5 Elvis can't driveGC3332 and of course XKD-380 GCF9 which is the oldest cache in NV and just a short hike from the car between 1147 and 1148. Glad I made the guys do this one as we did not know it was the oldest.

Bring with you. Plenty of batteries, chargers, food, water, gatorade, snacks, coolers ice, wipies!!!!, towells, and TP!!!

As far as logging that is a whole other story. Sticks figured that out and I was able. Make sure to clear your GPS cached data and show every caches as found when you do it. It will help. Ask him to help since I lost my notes.

Edited by Log Dawgs

The minivan worked great, but the clearance sucks. It was fine on (or just off) the hwy itself. On the ET Hwy, you'll only need one door open at a time. But for other nearby mini-series-es (especially ones by NVTriker) they'll be on both sides, so having one with both doors open on those will prove useful.

For ones up in the hills, the minivan can only go so far. And there are lots of fun ones out there to do that you'll find are just out of reach of the minivan, but still plenty off the main hwy that you can do in a minivan.

Must Dos:

One Busy Day On The E.T. Highway http://coord.info/GC334ZA

XKD-380 (Nevada's oldes - GCF9) http://coord.info/GCF9

Tonopah Cemetery: http://coord.info/GC35YDB - Crossmage, you'll love the photo opportunity at this site.

You'll find all the types you need in Rachel to do the Busy Day Challenge, but make sure you time it right.

Consider hosting an event at the Little Ale'Inn to get your 6 in case there is an issue with one type or another. Locals may show, too. ;) Since I was there in October, there is a new letterbox hybrid and a new multi in Rachel, and a new EarthCache in Tonopoah (but that's too far away for the challenge, I think). The two EarthCaches along the way are fun and easy. And make sure you get Quark's -- the cache inside the Little Ale'Inn. Lots of TBs tend to be in there.

Can't comment on staying at the Ale'Inn. But some had a not so pleasant experience at the Clown Motel. I was perfectly fine there. They have a nice, friendly cache/cemetery guardian cat there, too. Check out the Mizpah hotel. I can promise you it's more than the Clown Motel. But very nice, and a great place for dinner after a long day of caching.

Our first night was spent at the Bates Motel in Alamo. Can't remember the name. It was a bit scary, but was fine. And cheap. The Windmill hotel/cabins/whatever just before then has a restaurant with great bacon cheeseburgers to start you off before your adventure. And icing-stuffed cookies, which, on the trail, work like a 5 hr energy drink. Just not for 5 hrs.

Bring with you. Plenty of batteries, chargers, food, water, gatorade, snacks, coolers ice, wipies!!!!, towells, and TP!!!

Ditto that. And tylenol, tums or someting (just in case) and a sense of adventure. Also, be sure to bring a lot of film containers and pre-made logs for ones that are wet, damaged, or missing.

You all have a team stamp yet?

What was wrong with the Clown Motel? :what???: All we did was sleep and take a bath...the rest of the time we were on the road. If you are on a budget, it is worth it as well. We were all being *budget* conscious. I will admit tho, the Best Western is the 4 star hotel on Tonapah. We had stayed in it before and it was nice. The Mizpah hotel is a must for dinner, it had just been rebuilt and is worth the *history*. They have rooms as well. I would go with your feelings...I mean when would you get to stay in a Clown Motel again? Never!! There was fun moments too with a certain crazed clown knocking on doors and *Reinforcing everyone's fears of clowns* I mean how many people get to see a clown with geocacher clothing on? Not many! :2funny:

Logging in GSAK 8 for large numbers of finds is really trivial - once you know how. After our 500 cache weekend for the OK Land Run, I decided to figure it out. It basically looks like this:

1 - Set up a new database (/database/new) and copy the caches you will be logging into it. i found this easier than trying to do this in my default database.

2 - When you have all the caches now marked found (by setting the date) and in the "publish logs" screen, the click the templates button on the "publish logs" screen and write the log for "found it"

3 - Optional - you can add features like "find x of y for today" by adding tags to your templates

4 - Select all of the found caches - I used the user-select tool here - and then filter so they are the only caches in the selection

5 - Go to the database tab and select global replace - and set the found by me date to the date you want them logged

6 - Goto the Geocaching.com Access tab and select "Publish Logs" - fetch the caches from the selection

7 - Repeat for each date

8 - When done (and verify this by checking one or two caches to make sure the logs took) then publish the logs

I tend to cache by phone and GPS, but have never marked caches done with my GPS - steps 4 and 5 are necessary to get the caches marked as found and on the right dates. People with the fancier GPS gear that uses them more than phones should be able to upload finds and fieldnotes to this process instead of those steps.

Hope this helps someone!

Wait a minute... if you've got a van, why do you need a hotel?

Sleep in the van you fool!

6 people in a van overnight! Sounds like a party!

Cheech and Chong would approve.

Wait a minute... if you've got a van, why do you need a hotel?

Sleep in the van you fool!

6 people in a van overnight! Sounds like a party!

Cheech and Chong would approve.

Don't listen to him...driving in a van with 6 people is enough!! :2funny: Cheech and Chong were high most of the time anyway!! LOL!!!!

Edited by georeyna

Why not rent an RV to do the run.

Not easy to maneuver and stop and go the whole time 528 feet at a time for 160 miles!

Some other interesting caches along the ET highwayin addition to the ones already mentioned:

GC2ME48 Enik - neat narrow canyon

GC2ME48 Area 51 black mailbox (was white when we were there)

GC24WYB NVtrikers 50th cache (David created what he calls a "nano") hehe

GCG9TX The Phantom's demise - jet engine parts in the mountains

GC26CK1 Crescent - interesting old cabins and historic area

These are our favorites that we found the day we spent in the area.

The Alien inn in Rachel had a film crew staying and filming while we stopped in back in late January.

So what is the best stamp to use on the logs in Vegas - and are they standard film cans on ET Hiway and Route 66?

Well. You should end up in Tonopah at the end of the run if the second version of ET took the same route. I haven't checked.

That puts you just about 1.5 to 2 hours from the best cache location I ever hid a cache at: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=2ae4b77a-5e19-494b-9923-687627e0af4e

Just look at the gallery: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/gallery.aspx?guid=2ae4b77a-5e19-494b-9923-687627e0af4e

I know you said that you wouldn't be going that far but I wanted to tempt you anyway. I have quite a few caches in the area and they are all in interesting locations with cool views.

ca01b7cd-a45c-4c35-ad06-180e8fed007f.jpg

e78b1c8e-1abd-400f-ae39-ec7b07908155.jpg

66f1ba4b-c5b7-4a2a-8f3f-5c609c24aa04.jpg

When you go to do XKD-380 (Nevada's oldes - GCF9) http://coord.info/GCF9

watch out for the animal traps near the wash just to the right and below the cache. When we were there my walking stick tripped one. Scared the cr@& out of me. There were two traps.

The other warning is to watch out for cows - this is a free range area. On the dirt road, we did encounter cows that were slow to move off the road. We saw several coyotes running across the country during the middle of the day.

Pindroppers....was that the only cache that had the animal traps? did you run into the various climates while you were there?

That was the only traps that we saw, but have heard of others out there. Don't know locations.

We were doing part of ET series towards Tonopah. The temp during the day was about 45 and the wind was blowing very hard. Had to fight the door being blown closed on us trying to get out of the car.

We were in the Vegas area a couple of weeks ago and one weekend was snow and blowing winds and the rest of the time was blowing winds and temps in the mid 70's. As you go from Alamo on up to Tonopah the elevation goes up.