Sign in to follow this  
crossmage

Any Chicago Must-Dos?

I am headed to Chicago for a few days and will be staying near the lake, just north of downtown. Any must-do or must-see caches that I need to make sure I visit? I have a few virtuals marked to keep up with my daily goals. I learned how valuable they are in Canada when park traditionals were buried under snow and urban micros meant taking my gloves off to feel for them in sub-zero temps.

But I am willing to ride a train or hop a cab for a good adventure. Any thoughts or favorites you want to share?

If you like architecture I would take the subway to Oak Park and walk the area with the Frank Lloyd Wright home. There is a FLW Museum there as well but check the hours as they are limited.

I did this earthcache while in Oak Park

http://www.geocachin...90-7014e3cc820a

I would also check out some other earthcaches.

Edited by SockPuppet

Cloud Gate aka The Bean - virtual cache. Bring a camera. (257 favorite points)

http://www.geocachin...41-629f7b42eaef

I agree! The cache owner is a good friend, he's the first guy I cached with up there. I grew up in the Chicago area.

There are also a lot of cool caches along the lakefront, in the area were Meigs Field used to be. I agree there are also a lot good vituals downtown.

Most of my experience up there is around mom's house which is out in the suburbs. If you need any other guidance around the city or the area, just send me a PM.

Trying to get to "The Bean" today - it is in between my hotel and my client. Visited the Chicago Water Tower last night. Got a foursquare badge for that museum. :)

LOL. Foursquare is a different location-based game where you check in where you are - like when out at a restaurant or place of interest. Look for the app on your phone. It's not caching, but it's a location-aware social media thing.

Well, I left work and went to the bean today. I wasn't real excited about it from the cache page, but I had real fun playing with it with my cell phone camera...

302135bf-2778-4416-883e-381b4981b960.jpg?rnd=0.4404486

9c7f239f-611e-4d18-a777-50ef04c6dfec.jpg

Then I grabbed a nearby traditional:

6c252c58-8ab4-4716-afd1-a0ddf6b49b91.jpg

And finally found a bit of home at another nearby virtual while walking back to the hotel:

[e2d32fea-8dff-42a7-855e-39360729d784.jpg

Edited by crossmage