Sign in to follow this  
bbqandbeer

New to scouts, question about camp Bovey

bbqandbeer    7

I am a first year cub scout Dad. My son is a Tiger scout currently working on a bobcat badge. The cubscout curriculum seem ridiculously light but in general I guess that's ok because most of the other boys are pretty far back from where me and my son are.

We are signed up to camp at camp Bovey the latter part of the month with the rest of our pack, anyone have any thoughts to share about the place or what I should expect? Any must bring things to make the trip easier or more fun? Anyone see any problem with me bringing fishing poles?

We are pack 827 is anyone else on this forum may be a member.

Mr Muddy Buddy    223

It's been a long time since I've had a cub scout, but unless things have changed, cub scout camping is considered "family camping" ... that is, a member of the scouts family (mother or father or other legal guardian) must be present at the camp.

Bring what you would normally bring on a family campout.

However, you may want to coordinate with the parents of your sons den.

Food and cooking utensils can be combined, and/or food can be bought by one parent and then everyone else pay him/her back.

Also consider what activities that the den may want to do together. Bring fishing poles if everyone else in the den is bringing them.

The family camping is a gradual way to introduce the boys to scout style camping. There may be activities already planned. Check with the Pack leaders and/or den leaders to see what is going on.

Overall, plan to have fun, and especially let the boys have fun.

Bring plenty of bug spray in case the mossies are out.

If your son has never camped before, then be prepared to reassure him that all of those noises during the night are just small little bugs, that are way far away....

Also, our Pack and later on Troop, had a "no electronics" policy. Don't allow the kids to bring electronic games, cell phones, DVD players, mp3 players, etc. They are out there to enjoy the outdoors.

TravelingGeek    140

Bovay is a great first camping experience for tigers AND their parents that haven't camped before. That is by design, especially the part about the parents. This camp has a dinning hall and willl serve meals for you, which is good since the camp is under a no fire / no propane ban currently. BUT.... the food is generally more intended for easy of prep/serving than tailored for the taste buds. :) You might want to bring a bottle of hot sauce to spice things up a bit.. at least for the adults. They NEVER run out in the food line, but sometimes the salad bar / condiments run out, so I try to hit that first.

The nice thing about Bovay is they staff the activities for you (with a little bit of help form the pack). They have a pool, archery and BB range, BMX course, mining, water sports, and yes, lots of fishing available. I can't attest to the other activities because I was usually working on the archery range. I would recommend bringing bikes to get around quickly. You have to have a ANSI rated helmet, and no, you can't ride your bike on their track.

The bathrooms are individual stalls (toilet and sink) with a locking door to the outside. They also have shower stalls with hot water. This make the whole YPT bathroom visits a non-issue.

This is what we woke up to our first time there. The river boat is set up for double decker fishing... or just playing on. The kids loved it.

Bring your own tent or rent one they set up for you.

Fun water sports!

You should pay attention to the archery instruction... you may have to repeat it.

Well protected on the BMX course!

Eagles1181    48

I cannot speak to Bovey directly since I have never camped there (it was still being built when I received my eagle). In general I recommend bug spray, sun screen, rain gear, flashlight, something warn in case it gets cool (cold might be a stretch, but cool happens), and a good air mattress. More importantly is what I would leave behind. When ever I am camping I try to leave life at the gate. It can be tough, but focus on spending time with your son. Typically the cell phone gets turned off when we pull on property, and all other electronics get left behind. Only exception is a GPS since it can add to the outdoor experience. If your phone is your GPS (like mine currently is) just set the phone to airplane mode.

Eagle

heftydude    132

I am a Den Leader for Webelos this year. My son and I have gone to bovay's summer camp for the last three years. You need to find out what level of services Camp Bovay is providing for your Pack campout. It may not be the same as their summer program where they have a full complement of staffers and a set program of activities. Our Pack sticks with State Parks and the cooking and programming is up to us. But you will have a blast at scout camps. My daughter who is now 12 still wants to come to the scout campouts.

And that lake is quite low. This summer there was no canoeing or paddle boating. I doubt the fishing will be any good and I didn't see anyone fishing this summer.

And I'm sure you've already looked it up, but there are a couple of caches on the road that leads to the park. And a fair number to be grabbed from Navasota. Be sure to check out the tank at the VFW - GC23PZ6

Relative to the "light curriculum", I'm finding that the curriculum is actually quite dated and needs to be refreshed for the 21st Century. The boys these days are ridiculously overscheduled by overzealous parents that sign them up for 3 sports and piano and scouts. Keeping boys interested is a problem. I've had anumber drop out in the past couple of years so they can concentrate on their gymnastics, baseball, or whatever. But it's the values that matter most and that's what my goal is with my group.

TravelingGeek    140

Good points HeftyDude! I was assuming BBQ&Beer is attending a Fun with Son session, which I'm assuming is staffed at the council level. Or at least the folks at my the district committee meeting didn't know how it's being staffed. Bummer about the lake!

here's what the scouter said about the Fun with Son program:

Fun with Son

Fun with Son is an overnight campout for NEW Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts and their adult partner at Camp Strake or Camp Bovay. Sessions run from October 21 - 23. Scouts will enjoy BB guns, archery, sling shots, crafts, sports, games, campfire, and more. This fall we will be hosting 4 sessions of exciting Cub Scouting activities on October 21-23 at Camp Strake and Bovay Scout Ranch.

heftydude    132

Good points HeftyDude! I was assuming BBQ&Beer is attending a Fun with Son session, which I'm assuming is staffed at the council level. Or at least the folks at my the district committee meeting didn't know how it's being staffed. Bummer about the lake!

here's what the scouter said about the Fun with Son program:

Fun with Son

Fun with Son is an overnight campout for NEW Tiger, Wolf, Bear, and Webelos Scouts and their adult partner at Camp Strake or Camp Bovay. Sessions run from October 21 - 23. Scouts will enjoy BB guns, archery, sling shots, crafts, sports, games, campfire, and more. This fall we will be hosting 4 sessions of exciting Cub Scouting activities on October 21-23 at Camp Strake and Bovay Scout Ranch.

They could indeed all be going to that. I've been getting those emails too from SHAC. He only mentions going the latter part of the month with the Pack. I do think this would be a good way to dip your toes into cub scout camping.

bbqandbeer    7

Our fun with Son outing is the weekend of the 21st which it does not look like we can make. This would be the pack fall campout on the weekend of the the 29th. Thanks for all the discussion above, it was helpful.

bbqandbeer    7

We had a great time at Bovey. There were plenty of activities, bbguns, archery, slingshots, nature stuff, and lots of land to roam around on and explore. The lake was pretty low, the "paddlewheel fishing pier" was obviously closed.

One thing I found odd was that almost nobody cooked. I brought a campstove and did chicken and green beans on Friday and eggs and bacon on Saturday. I saw a someone do a pot of canned chili on Friday night and alot of mcdonalds coffee cups on Saturday morning.

640x480-2011-10-28%2018.37.38.jpg

640x480-2011-10-28%2018.36.09.jpg

640x480-2011-10-29%2008.50.03.jpg

TAZ427    66

Yeah, it's a great place for cubscouts. When we where there last March we even had a snipe hunt, I couple of the adults had one in the bag for a few seconds but they escaped ;-)

I think it really depends on you Pack as to how much cooking you do. That said, they provided us w/ Breakfast and Lunch, so that only left us w/ dinner on Saturday (grabbed dinner on the way in on Friday.) Other locations we go like Lake Texana and Brazo's Bend we tend to have one Pack made lunch and everything else you're on your own.

TravelingGeek    140

Wow, the lake is amazingly dry!

Glad you had a good time.

When we went a few years ago, I'm pretty sure we were asked not to cook in the campsite. But times have changed, especially now that they have the Camporee in the main part of the camp instead of the camporee field. Good Changes.