Sign in to follow this  
Nov64

Tickets for the Belle of Louisville are on sale now

OK, so tell me. Is geo woodstock fun? Why does someone WANT to go? Is it just an excuse to get away? Or is there anything special going on? If you've gone before, would you go back? Did you have a good time? What did you like best? What shoulc have been done differently/better? Where's the best place to stay? I went to the TX Challenge and had a good time but there were some problems. I camped in Huntsville and wouldn't have done it any differently. Camp at GWX?

Just curious.

Any answers to these or others questions that I should have asked, just let me know.

GeoWoodstock is the largest gathering of geocachers across the country, as far as I know. That brings both pros and cons. On one hand, there are a lot of people there. On the other, there are a LOT of people there....

It is fun to meet new people and see all the vendors...there can be a long line for things, though....

I've been to two, I liked them both, I always want to go again. The special things that go on at them depend on the planners and the location. The one we had in Texas was like a giant laid back camping trip. In California, I didn't camp, but they had it at a pumpkin patch place and there were a lot of activities that went hand in hand with that. Group caching outings, if you are into that. I personally think camping it out is the way to go, but that depends on a lot of factors....

Rob and I went to the one two years ago, and had a blast. We stayed in a hotel near the event, and it was full of geocachers from all over. We all wore geocaching t-shirts, and would introduce ourselves to each other, so soon we felt like a community that had taken over the hotel. The event was fun, but not as much fun as all of the caching we did before and after the event. We met new people at every cache we visited, and it was really fun swapping stories and getting to know new folks. Everyone was super friendly and eager to team up to go caching or have a meal together. The event was very well organized and there were lots of booths to visit. It was in Washington, so the hiking was fabulous. We are really looking forward to the next one.

I went to the one in Seattle a couple years ago for many reasons. FIRST, I needed my MEGA event icon, I needed my APE CACHE icon, I needed my HQ Cache icon, there were some earthcaches I needed for the EC challenge, a special one-time only 10-year icon, and I think there was one or two more.

I spent $1500 flying in and out, hotels, car rental, and knickknacks.

I highly recommend it at least once if you can swing the $$ and time. Think of it as an all-day festival geared towards geocaching.

The only reason I'd go again is if it was cheap, close, or there were a LOT of icons I needed to justify the $$.

Edited by aaronbarbee

We had a good time last year, but are glad we didn't make a 'special trip'. We were on the road for six weeks [THE perk for being a teacher] , and it was one of our stops. We camped on site for four nights, and had more fun visiting with fellow campers than we did at the actual event. Next year's event is closer to Houston, but not at a good time for us, since it is at the end of the school year.

Of course, our Anniversary Event was a highlight, since 640 people attended, but we'd have to think hard about going back to one until we BOTH are retired.

GW is one big mega event somewhere between 3,000 - 6,000 cachers show up. I have gone to the last 6 GW. I love meeting new caches and by now I know a lot cachers =)

They have seminars on GSAK, caching with your cell phone. There is a poker tournament (the buy in is geocoins), lots of pathtags trading.... and if you are lucky you make the cover of FTF magazine.

I road trip it GW and caching all the way.