Geocaching Challenges

151 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Okay, I made this Challenge to test the system.  As I understood the rules you have to give a specific location.  I didn't expect anyone to do the one I started it with (but they did).  The idea was for people to find Quadruples and go to them.

Posted · Report post

The inability to edit the descriptions of these things is a problem.  If you forget to cover some point or the other there's no way to correct. 

Posted · Report post

Well, that and you can't enforce them.  See my CLAPs one with someone 'doing it' from WA and someone from FL.  You don't own it, so you can't enforce.  Their rule is basic:  "Challenges run on the honor system. Say you completed it? We believe you. After all, you're only cheating yourself!"

Posted · Report post

I just completed http://coord.info/CX502 at the No Label Brewing Company, and when I put in co-ords, it gave me the option of selecting the brewery itself as the location instead of raw co-ords. I also put in my note of where I was and that it was the tallest thing for miles...

It said "challenge completed" and my pic showed up in the gallery. I recheck my challenge list, and it shows it completed.

15 minutes later it's deleted by persons unknown. No trace of my logging it, no pic.      Wonderful.

I'm resubmitting it with no mention of the company- We'll see.

Posted · Report post

Well, that and you can't enforce them.  See my CLAPs one with someone 'doing it' from WA and someone from FL.  You don't own it, so you can't enforce.  Their rule is basic:  "Challenges run on the honor system. Say you completed it? We believe you. After all, you're only cheating yourself!"

If they count as caches found it may put an end to "It's all about the numbers" because the numbers will become meaningless.  In one night of armchair Challenges I could do a thousand or so.

Posted · Report post

We just claimed 3 challenges.  It is strange, because the website says we have 3 more finds, but still lists our caches.  I checked on cacherstats.com, and it has our actual cache finds listed.  I'd like it if it stays that way, to keep people from padding their stats.

Posted · Report post

I just completed http://coord.info/CX502 at the No Label Brewing Company

15 minutes later it's deleted by persons unknown. No trace of my logging it, no pic.      Wonderful.

The link you posted is a valid challenge, but I suspect its not yours (no way of telling that I know of...).

So maybe there was a snafu with the servers and submission.

Posted · Report post

The CX502 - Show Us Your Landmarks, is one of the official Worldwide challenges.

Posted · Report post

The CX502 - Show Us Your Landmarks, is one of the official Worldwide challenges.

Exactly my point.  Seems like there might have been a problem with duplciate CX #'s between local and worldwide?!?

I read that NativTxn in College Station has a similar issue. 

Just speculating : Adam's cancelled challenge might not have anything to do with No Label Brewery being in the description.

Posted · Report post

Two questions.

• When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?
  • Can a Challenge require paying for a specific commercial activity like riding the roller-coaster in Kemah or taking one of the Party Boats in Galveston?

Posted · Report post

Two questions.

• When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?
  • Can a Challenge require paying for a specific commercial activity like riding the roller-coaster in Kemah or taking one of the Party Boats in Galveston?

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.  I really hope that doesn't become the trend though.  I don't like having to pay entrance fees to cache.

Posted · Report post

When a Challenge is archived do people keep their completions like when a cache is archived?

So far, yes (at least for us).

Posted · Report post

I really hope that doesn't become the trend though.  I don't like having to pay entrance fees to cache.

Like those 'regular' geocaches in state parks - or even Houston's First and a few EarthCaches in Armand Bayou Nature Center?  Nothing makes you have to go there.  And most places (all I've seen for traditional caches) the fee is nominal and goes to the charitable entity's upkeep, etc. 

While I have seen some for-profit entity challenges, I don't think there will be a huge trend in that direction.  I also think they will likely get flagged as being commercial and archived. 

Overall, I don't think there will be any significant change in percentages of challengs vs. geocaches that have assocaited fees at nonprofit type entities (zoos, parks, nature centers, etc.), but could be wrong.  Only time will tell.

Posted · Report post

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.

The zoo isn't a commercial activity.  The roller coaster at Kemah and the Party Boat are commercial/for profit.  I feel sure it's acceptable to have Challenges that require nonprofit fees.  The Baytown Nature Center requires fees most of the time.  The State park a Huntsville, Armond Bayou Nature Center, etc. all require fees. 

Posted · Report post

For the 2nd question, the challenge at the zoo shows that the challenge can require you to pay an entrance fee before doing the challenge.

The zoo isn't a commercial activity. 

Really?? Have you been there lately?

Posted · Report post

post-40-131759834778_thumb.png

Posted · Report post

Barely.

They are as non profit as NCAA football.

Posted · Report post

I know what you mean.  But where do you draw that line between free vs. commercial?  Kemah Boardwalk is clearly commercial.  Yet it costs you nothing to go there.  No admission fee... just if you want to eat/drink/do something.  So, one could have a photo taken in on the boardwalk with the boats in the background, or infront of the roller coaster, etc.  Is that commercial in nature?  Any more so than a photo at a retail establishment?  The Boardwalk is, after all, a major destination point down our way.

Posted · Report post

I know what you mean.  But where do you draw that line between free vs. commercial?

By commercial I meant an activity or business operated for profit.  Said the other way 'round, it's an activity not classified as nonprofit. 

Posted · Report post

Geocaching is as commercial as it gets...at it's most basic level you need internet access to get to the site, so short of walking from home to a public terminal, eyeballing the cache location and going and finding it (a la Nebulus) then you have to pay money to play:  Gas, GPSr, Smartphone, typical internet access (fee-based) ...yet if you mention anything commercial it's a Bad Thing....  kinda kooky.... ???

Posted · Report post

I haven't figured the 'adding pictures' thing out yet.  Sometimes when I save a challenge and return to edit it it will let me add another picture.  Other times it shows the first picture posted and gives no way to post another.  Anybody figured this out?

Posted · Report post

I noticed on Action challenges it seems to not let you, but photo challengs if you edit it may.  I have not tried it, but it might work.  It's just not a choice with the other.  Rememeber, the photos don't stick on the page anyway -- they house X number and as people complete it their photos rotate through it and I think yours fall off.  So I hadn't bothered with more than one.

Posted · Report post

I noticed on Action challenges it seems to not let you, but photo challengs if you edit it may.

Nope.  The one that just let me post two was a Action Challenge

After I had closed the browser, I went back to an Action that wouldn't let me and it did.

Posted · Report post

Now, they have listed your Finds and Challenges at the top right in your 'mini profile' box.  And you your external profile box, it shows Finds, Hides, and Challenges.  Hover over Challenges and it shows Accepted, Created, Completed.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, the Finds number now no longer includes Challenges.  Which totally messes up my cache find numbering.  Luckily I don't have monthly finds like Kirbydox to log, but still.  I just wish they'd make up their mind and stick with something.