Geocaching Challenges

151 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I just created two challenges and I know alot of you meet the requirements.

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX838

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX841

We will see how long this stays approved.

My personal opinion is that there are requirements.  You must do something in order to *get the smiley*.  It is just another twist to finding neat places to go.  One is still traveling for the sake of a smile.  Let this happen, don't worry...Groundspeak is great about changing their minds and moving onto something different!!

I tried accepting and completing this, but the site couldn't respond.  I think the DoS attacks may be successful.  If that's the case, it's a shame since it will only escalate the issues because GS will have to take action.  What a mess they have caused themseleves!

Posted · Report post

It was entertaining last night to watch the fireworks....we have never seen such a sh@#storm against GC before.....even to the point where Jeremy lost his cool and sniped at someone....which led to a firestorm of people publishing endless drivel in an effort to crash their servers....contentious isn't even the half of it...

You know, they PROMISED virtuals, they said they were coming back.  THEY LIED..  They gave us Challenge junk.  Whether they intentionally did it or not, they mocked all of the REAL challenge caches out there....

Sure, sure, we know, we all have choices to play the game or not, to do or not to do, we get it.  But don't tell us, "Well, we thought we couldn't turn the switch back on for virtuals..." despite saying on their feedback joke site that They Were Coming Back.

GC's lousy efforts to police virtual submission had a direct fallout on the community so they shut them down.  Cachers paid for their shortcomings.

By telling everyone they were coming back it indicated that, perhaps, they would police them better, be more stringent.  But, by all appearances, they LISTENED to what their CUSTOMERS wanted. 

Let's not forget that:  This is a customer driven business.  Call it a hobby, call it what you will, but if it were some mamby-pamby dalliance then there would be no advertising, no membership fees....

What they did was bad for business and having their CEO take pot shots back at his customers for expressing outrage was not a smart move.

Relying on a podcast to get the word out was also a bad move.

They are going to have a lot of damage control to work on....

Really not a smart move for a business to piss the product off (yes, in GCs business model we are the product, eyeballs reading the ads) and then attacking them, just about the time a new competitor is entering the market with a neat are attractive variation.  This whole debacle might actually give munzees a chance to make head way.

Eagle

Extra bad timing since they have the block party at HQ tomorrow.  Yikes!

Almost wish I could be there.  Hopefully GC will get the message pull these suckers FAST!!!

Eagle

Posted · Report post

As I was completing this challenge it was archived.  No Fair >:(

Posted · Report post

Ok -- so what was it?  Man - you don't check here every minute and you lose out.

Posted · Report post

Another bold move by the same people that brought you Waymarking!

WTF!!!

So you got it archived from under you and worse, you can't even go and look at Mike's profile to see what it was....for that matter, it just shows you've done a Challenge...

Waitaminnit....so we can all do a zillion challenges, run our numbers up and THERE'S NO ACCOUNATABILITY......huh, sounds like the Federal Government!  :D

Posted · Report post

GS must have all hand on deck  reviewing challenges and archiving them.  what a resource waste. 

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I don't like the implementation of these challenges where when it is archived, you can't view it anymore.

I have a few accepted challenges showing up in my accepted challenges list, that I can apparently no longer delete.

Seems like they didn't think this through very well at all.

Posted · Report post

I posted a challenge and it was deleted.  I thought it was a cool one too.  I guess I better not publish anymore.

Posted · Report post

My personal opinion is that there are requirements.  You must do something in order to *get the smiley*.  It is just another twist to finding neat places to go.  One is still traveling for the sake of a smile.  Let this happen, don't worry...Groundspeak is great about changing their minds and moving onto something different!!

I tried accepting and completing this, but the site couldn't respond.  I think the DoS attacks may be successful.  If that's the case, it's a shame since it will only escalate the issues because GS will have to take action.  What a mess they have caused themseleves!

The second one is going to be published tomorrow.  It will be *take a photo with Signal*.  I am sorry, but what is the big deal...that is my thought.  This bites the big one!  Now the people who were enjoying the challenges have to pay for the people who disliked the challenges..unfair!

Posted · Report post

I saw Jeremy posted to FB that they were pulling back the location-less challenges (and the kiss a frog challenge)

Posted · Report post

Well I added a real challenge.  Many of you will be able to complete it now.  Complete the Presidential Series in Jones Forest

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX964&msg=4

OK, so I went and accepted the challenge...two people already voted it down.  Why?  It is geocaching related? 

P.S.  I still need to do two presidential caches PLUS the puzzle, but I accepted the challenge.

Posted · Report post

Well I added a real challenge.  Many of you will be able to complete it now.  Complete the Presidential Series in Jones Forest

http://www.geocaching.com/challenges/view.aspx?cx=CX964&msg=4

OK, so I went and accepted the challenge...two people already voted it down.  Why?  It is geocaching related? 

Anyone can vote it down.  Includnig people from Canada, eh, who may never come down and do this.  And they think, why did I bother looking?  So they vote ti down.

My CLAPS one has a few vote-downs.  I think it's a location-driven thing.  Since people can't armchair log it.... and since it's not open to doing an equivalent locally (not that that stopped someone from logging a FLA kayaking trip and a WA whitewater trip that didn't take place on Armand Bayou) they don't like it.  I think some of those may be coming from those who are not local to it and thus can't complete it in that fashion.

Of course they may be other reasons, too.  But looking at various ones that are location driven, it does seem there are a quite a few more than you'd expect for a decent challenge.

Posted · Report post

So... maybe this can/will take the place of the 'bonus caches' derived from picking up coords from random caches in a series.  That would free up more real estate for other caches that way.  I guess... if they keep these.

Posted · Report post

I also tried to accept and complete it, but nothing happened.  We just got back from Seattle (and visited Groundspeak HQ).  While there, my wife kissed Signal and posted the picture to complete one of the challenges.