Geocaching Challenges

151 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Now the key question is did the makeover completely screw up C:geo?

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Just read the replies to the announcement on facebook.  Unless they can get people to change their mind these will not be around very long. 

Eagle

Posted · Report post

OK, I have one published. You folks down town don't let me down.

Do you have a GC code on it?  I cannot find it or are you still waiting on Prime Reviewers blessing?

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Do you have a GC code on it?  I cannot find it or are you still waiting on Prime Reviewers blessing?

I think they show up right away. See above post for link.

Posted · Report post

They honestly are posting these with no supervision?  This is going to get ugly, REALLY FAST!!!  I am tempted to go do this one, just so that I can say I have a challenge cache before these get closed down.  I don't see these lasting long.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

FYI: these challenges are editable for 24 hours after publishing or UNTIL someone accepts it.  :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

OK, so I accepted this one just to keep it from changing.  Is there a way to search for these?

Posted · Report post

Anyone know how these challenges will show up in a PQ?

Posted · Report post

It also appears like these don't show up on the iPhone GC app.

Posted · Report post

It also appears like these don't show up on the iPhone GC app.

There is supposed to be a new geocaching challenge app for these released today.

It is just called Challenges and is by Groundspeak, Inc.

Posted · Report post

Cool, I can post a picture of myself kissing a plastic frog and get credit for a find in Canada.  All without getting my butt out of my chair.  This is going to make the Texas county challenge EASY!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff: :tickedoff:

Eagle

Posted · Report post

half tempted to go see what the comments are on the GC.com forum.  That is unless they are being policed REALLY hard.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

These sound like locationless caches to me... anyone else see this?

Posted · Report post

So once it's out there, I assume people can keep accepting the challenge like a cache ... so these are 'fairly permanent' in nature?

Posted · Report post

So once it's out there, I assume people can keep accepting the challenge like a cache ... so these are 'fairly permanent' in nature?

I haven't read up too much on these, but I think if the down votes out weigh the up votes by a certain margin or percentage, then it gets auto-archived. Or that is the impression I got from a few things.

I think some of these can be like locationless caches, but others are more like do a certain action or photo at certain locations.

Posted · Report post

I am sure there will be some that survive just like there are some locationless, mailbox, ect... still around.  And honestly I am sure there will be some challenges that should survive.  But hopefully when the deactivate the category, they also will archive most of the junk challenges.  FYI I have looked at about a dozen, and only one so far would I say really justified a challenge. 

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Yea, I just got FTA (First to Accept) on Houston Event Challenge (http://coord.info/CX257)  Does that count for anything?

That one will be a Challenge, but one I was working on anyway.

Thanks AgTitan.

Posted · Report post

The search algorithm doesn't work very well. I can put in my zip code and only 2 show up. I wonder what the cutoff is. I assume they don't show up on the news maps.

Posted · Report post

I don't know about y'all, but i'm waiting for nightfall to let geodog catch me a REAL frog to kiss.

Posted · Report post

I added one up in the Woodlands with several more waiting in the area.  Since you can only publish one a day.

Posted · Report post

Do the challenges count toward your finds?  I see the new stat boxes have them called out separately.  I hope they don't count toward the finds... that would bug me, and can only assume it would really really annoy anyone who has accumulated a comma or two.

Posted · Report post

These sound like locationless caches to me... anyone else see this?

Worse. 

We can understand them being done away with due to server space constraints, which at the time of their inception, was probably a little costly to maintain and add to....Now?  Storage is cheap.

GC's lack of oversight is what killed Virtuals and now their pushing this boondoggle without a review process...as if that's going to remove all subjectivity.....wow.