Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hiding a cache without finding one first

89 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

This will continue be a source for debate.  O0

Let's just say, for whatever sake, that Mr. OSC decides to make an official Mr. OSC user account and Mrs. OSC uses OneStepCloser.

Mr. OSC won't have any finds in the account so now I've got to wait how long until I can hide?

Nevermind the sockpuppet account but this scenario happens quite frequently....

So when there are too many exceptions it becomes an untenable situation, at best, and cumbersome and frustrating at worst.

Bottom line is those that hide without experience and end up having hides that have issues, whatever they are, tend to resolve themselves eventually.

It's the "eventually" part that takes a while and can be the source of frustration.

There's also the issue of the fact that there are absolutely no requirements to find everything published and the ignore cache feature can help in the process.  Sure, there's the whole inconvenience factor but there's no perfect solution.

Posted · Report post

I think GC.com has enough rules!  If you keep adding rules it will end up looking like Congress. :idiot2:  As far as hides I was really pumped when I started this hobby.  I had a grand total of two finds when I hid my first one.

Having said that, there was no issue with the coordinates from anyone until the container went missing over a year later so I archived it.  Have I had to adjust coordinates on some of my caches since then?  You bet, but I think 22 feet was the biggest correction on a cache where the container didn't have to be relocated.

Sometimes I wonder if new cachers when hiding say to themselves, "These are the coordinates, but I'm going to put it here so they have to look a little harder".  Maybe they don't understand that handheld GPSr aren't laser accurate.  At least mine isn't.

So was I frustrated when I drove nearly 50 miles round trip and came up dry not only on the FTF but the caches period?  You bet!  So what did I do?

1.  I dealt  with it knowing it was probably a new cacher excited about hiding something but didn't have much experience.  Been there done that.

2.  Sent him a nice email and a link to Thot's Beginners Guide.  Told him it came in handy for we when I got in the game.

So now what?  I'll watch the area,  when he (she) puts out a new cache I'll look at their stats and see if they have a few finds under their belt.

Oh yeah, I'll let someone else chase their caches for the FTF's for awhile. O0

Posted · Report post

I found Cane Pole Surprise.  It was only 142' off.  I knew the coords were likely bad when I left.  CO has 1 find.  But he's obviously excited about hiding.  He did post new coords when I sent mine so there's some hope.

Yes but his new coords only moved about 15 feet.  I posted logs on all three of his hides with encouragement that he go find a few more caches before hiding anymore.  I told teh cache owner that he/she were already starting to develop a reputation for "bad hides".  Although it is fun to hide caches... it is more fun to have other cachers actually find them.

I guess wasn't politically correct enough because the cache owner changed the coords 15 feet and deleted all three of my DNF logs.  ???

Posted · Report post

Sometimes I wonder if new cachers when hiding say to themselves, "These are the coordinates, but I'm going to put it here so they have to look a little harder".  Maybe they don't understand that handheld GPSr aren't laser accurate.  At least mine isn't.

So was I frustrated when I drove nearly 50 miles round trip and came up dry not only on the FTF but the caches period?  You bet!  So what did I do?

1.  I dealt  with it knowing it was probably a new cacher excited about hiding something but didn't have much experience.  Been there done that.

2.  Sent him a nice email and a link to Thot's Beginners Guide.  Told him it came in handy for we when I got in the game.

So now what?  I'll watch the area,  when he (she) puts out a new cache I'll look at their stats and see if they have a few finds under their belt.

Oh yeah, I'll let someone else chase their caches for the FTF's for awhile. O0

Well said!

Posted · Report post

I guess wasn't politically correct enough because the cache owner changed the coords 15 feet and deleted all three of my DNF logs.  ???

I never really thought about the CO being able to delete DNF logs.  I don't like that because I use the GSAK macro to eliminate caches from my to do list that have multiple DNFs, so by the CO eliminating that history, it keeps us from knowing that there were ever problems. 

The cache owner may have had good intentions thinking he's helping TDW by taking away his DNFs.  I personally want to know that I had a DNF on a cache if I'm ever back to look again so that I either can avoid it, try again and be victorious the 2nd time by finding it, or add another DNF if I can't find it again. 

Posted · Report post

The cache owner may have had good intentions thinking he's helping TDW by taking away his DNFs. 

I'm not so sure.  This one http://coord.info/GC2ZAG9came out last night.  I thought maybe....

So I looked at it on satellite and the cache looks like it could very possibly be on private property.  I looked at the CO's stats again and he still has just 1 find.

I put it on my watchlist and no one has gone after it yet.  And, I probably won't.

Posted · Report post

The cache owner may have had good intentions thinking he's helping TDW by taking away his DNFs. 

I'm not so sure.  This one http://coord.info/GC2ZAG9came out last night.  I thought maybe....

So I looked at it on satellite and the cache looks like it could very possibly be on private property.  I looked at the CO's stats again and he still has just 1 find.

I put it on my watchlist and no one has gone after it yet.  And, I probably won't.

Oh come on, don't you want to be first DNF!

Posted · Report post

Looks like Kianlo got FTF.  I posted a note to ask how far the coordinates were off. Too harsh?  :P

Posted · Report post

Only 25' off.  And quite a few trees, so understandable.  Not a great area but there's a very nice cemetery nearby.  If I'd had time, I'd have put one there.

Then stopped and looked for Dead Men Walk on the way home with no success.  Coords put it easily within 100' of a RR.  How'd that get approved?  Could have looked a bit more, but didn't have much time.  Then got rained on HARD on the way home.

Posted · Report post

Then got rained on HARD on the way home.

Rain.  That's a good thing, right? :angel:

Posted · Report post

Rain is great.  Wasn't sure what it was.  It's been so long.  Kind of ruins my plans to crawl to Danger Island though.

Posted · Report post

We're arguing about the rules governing who can hide a geocache, but in fact I've had way more issues in dealing with those who review them. Prime Reviewer is often too nosy to be objective, and goes beyond his capacity as an enforcer of the guidelines, crashing right on into enforcing what he or she thinks is a viable idea for a geocache. Prime Reviewer has much more ability as far as hurting the fun of geocaching than new geocachers do.

Posted · Report post

I think you are still safe going for Danger Island. It will take quite a bit more rain to be an issue.  O0

Posted · Report post

I think you are still safe going for Danger Island. It will take quite a bit more rain to be an issue.  O0

Andy, let me know when you are planning to go.  I'd like to watch.

Posted · Report post

Bring a video camera and post it on YouTube.  :2funny:

Andy, let me know when you are planning to go.  I'd like to watch.

Posted · Report post

Traditional Cache

GET OUT GEOCACHE CLUB #1

A cache by mbarnes3922 Hidden : 06/18/2011

WHOOP !!! FTF @ 7pm. Apparently when I got back to log this one, it had been deactivated, but we left to get it quite some time ago. We went to GZ but like the prior searcher found an empty lot. I read the cache page and thought, maybe we can find it without coords. So off we went. The clue helped a good bit and sure enough, we turned it up. Only 1500' off from the posted coords. The bad news is that it's too close to another cache so if you use the coords I got, it'll be archived right away. I couldn't find that cache by the way and I was using the coords. #1150 SL TNLN TFTC We left to find this one before it had been archived and did not have the new coords, so we're taking the find.

Posted · Report post

My first hide I was about 50 ft off.  My repost and my second hind are dead on.  First hide I used a Garmin etrex.  All other hides were done with my Evo smartphone using a GPS averaging app.  Also according to google maps they are dead on. 

(I adopted a few as well, and they appear to be off by a little, but am trying not to change to much, so I left them).

Eagle

Posted · Report post

I got a FTF this morning for a cache (GC33VJG) from a cacher that created an account and hid a cache on the same day.  It wasn't hidden very well, especially since it is a potential muggle area. 

What is really strange is that the description says "Saw this spot while walking along the trail looking for other caches in the area."

Coords were good, but the CO must not have had luck on the ones he/she was looking for, so they made it really easy to find. :D

Posted · Report post

Resurrecting an old thread -- I saw this cache hasn't been found yet and the description is odd at best.  Can't figure out what the "Reference Point" waypoint that's the same as the listed coordinates for the cache is all about...

http://coord.info/GC44GVQ

Posted · Report post

I noticed both caches in question were placed and after about a month then owners have not longed in since.

Posted · Report post

The owner of GC41VJ5 posted this note today:

"I am working on getting the correct coordinates updated! The coordinates are slightly off and do not lead you to the cache, however, it is there still! I will update when it is all figured out. I am sorry for the confusion!!"

I think jackrock would agree that "slightly off" is not a precise description of the coordinate accuracy, but it's nice that he/she is looking into the matter.

Posted · Report post

Interesting read and this is why I much prefer to look for caches by experienced geocachers.

Posted · Report post

Interesting read and this is why I much prefer to look for caches by experienced geocachers.

Yeah same here.    Which is also why I waited awhile before hiding any caches.  I wanted to learn what makes a good hide and how to hide a good cache!

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

I knew this one looked "dicey" but there were a few other woodsy caches not too far away, and I was up for a walk in the woods (too much urban caching lately).  I thought about hiking a bit farther down the LSHT since my topo showed a likely bridge some distance from where I was, but it was already mid-afternoon and I wanted to grab the other caches so I decided to throw in the towel rather than waste any more time.  I'll definitely go back if the coordinates get corrected though, it's a nice hiking area.

Baytown Bert and jackrock like this