Presidential Series caches

62 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have a meeting this Friday with the head of the forest. He is wanting to institute changes to the way you can place at cache in the Jones State Forest. Hope it goes well. I really don't want to lose the series. I think he just wants all caches to be approved before they are placed.

Posted · Report post

Looking forward to the results of your meeting!

Posted · Report post

Update: Had my meeting today it went well. I will be checking on the series in the coming weeks and the forest should be open by the end of the month. They are done logging and just doing cleanup. Once the series has been checked it will be re-enabled and open to the public. I will be also working with him on a few new cool caches including one at the office. He is super excited to have geocachers come to the forest. With a little help from me we enacted a new free cache permit. It is just a formality to place the cache so it can have a Jones State Forest sticker on the outside and make sure it will not be placed in a protected area.

Posted · Report post

Great news. It will be great to have this series back online again.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for the update! I would like to try to work on the series before it gets to hot and prior to the horses tearing up the trails!

Posted · Report post

Thanks to Eagles1181, Taz427, OHL Hockey Guy, OHL Hockey Man, and Rathegohiking we did the entire Pres series in about 4.5 hours. Only one soda tube was missing. No other containers were gone. We did replace a few with two new ammo cans and plastic containers. Overall a great day. I will be activating the series in a few days. I could not have done it so quickly without them.

Posted · Report post

It was a blast today. Couldn't have asked for a better day of caching.

Posted · Report post

Great day of caching. Might I comment about how much easier it is to cache when you have the CO there with you. About 45 caches that were disabled when I found them, one was totally missing, and we ended up not DNFing any of them (imagine that). :angel:

Eagle

Posted · Report post

O0 O0 O0

So glad they'll be back in action soon! Now... between softball, baseball, and scouts -- just to find the time (and hall pass) to go get 'em!

Posted · Report post

This is a great series and I really enjoyed finding them with everyone. The question is, how will this old body get out of bed tomorrow morning?

Posted · Report post

How were the trails - are bikes in order or did the logging trucks tear them up? Need to get this series done before the horses make a mess up there.

Posted · Report post

There was some water obstacles you had to go around but no real bad. The long east trail closer to the horse trailer parking lot was terrible, but I had never been on that section before. Overall the trails were fine with no real issues other than some standing water in places.

Posted · Report post

Glad to see this series is good to go ....will have to try a get out there before it gets to hot

Posted · Report post

The listings are still temporarily disabled. Will that change soon? :angel:

Posted · Report post

I believe Log Dawg said it would change some time early this week. Either way the caches are all there (I can personally attest to that). Go ahead and track them down.

Eagle

Posted · Report post

Thinking I'm gonna make a run on this series either this coming Saturday or Sunday. One or the other I'm going

Posted · Report post

I heard that the park is still not open and you guys had special permission to check caches. Any word on when it will officially open? If not, I'll call the park again. I would also like to get up there next weekend.

Posted · Report post

Per the head of the Forest they are waiting on the visitor parking up front to be finished and a few other small details. If the weather permits this week they will be getting that done and open this weekend. I will tell you we were not the only ones in the forest. Since there is a neighborhood to the west many people from it come into the forest to hike. We spotted a jogger, a family walking their dogs, and a lone hiker. I am sure there were more. I hope to make them all active ASAP. Only the extreme south section of the trails near 42-43 was really wet. With a few exceptions. I hope everyone will enjoy them again soon.

Posted · Report post

We finished off the series (except for the puzzle cache--by that point we were too bit up and beat) yesterday. The mosquitos were out in full force, and there was lots of standing water. A couple of the logs were too wet to sign, and a couple were full.

We'll go back on another day to finish the puzzle.

Posted · Report post

Breaking News Breaking News.........

If you have not done the caches in Jones State Forest.  Even the new ones placed last September.  (That series is better than the Presidential Series.)  You need to go do them in the next few months.  I will be revamping the entire forest and publishing two new and exciting series of caches.  It is something I have been working on for a while and I should have it completed by July. 

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

We have been talking about coming back to do the series... looks like sooner is better than later.  I hope that we will head up that way in the next few weeks.  We sure enjoyed the letterbox hides in the park that we went after a few weeks ago.  I would be so bummed if I missed the Presidential series so we will be making it happen.

Posted · Report post

You have about two months.  FYI Park near Number 17 and walk in if you have completed the top part of the series.

cachestacker likes this