Thot

Doing a Little to Help the World and Your Fellow Man (person?)

66 posts in this topic

I could learn a LOT from you TFP.

Word.  TFP is my hero.   TAZ427 is not so far behind.

hey, I'm about to dive into Microsoft High Performance Computing (HPC) in a big way... anyone here have knowledge in that?  Our R&D team have drank copious amounts of the HPC coolaid.  As a test bed, I think I will be getting a few 8 core last generation decommissioned systems to play with.  It is unclear at this time if we keep them in our Annapolis data center or ship them to our Missouri City data center. (LOL)   If they come here and I am paying the AC/AC costs, then I think we should at least get some fun test experience out of them doing massively parallel processing for the betterment of human kind*. 

* do you think I can expense that line item?

And BB has THREE graphics cards?!?!?  Who would'ha thought?!?

I'm here again to drum up support for this noble effort.  It costs you nothing and supports research.  You can learn about the World Community Grid Here.  Several of the projects in my initial post have completed and new ones added.  Click Here to see the five current research projects.

You can see a roster of the current team members Here

Oh yes, i_am_jim is me.  I joined before I thought of creating a Geocaching Team

Edited by Thot
KeyResults likes this

I'm here again to drum up support for this noble effort.  It costs you nothing and supports research.  You can learn about the World Community Grid Here.  Several of the projects in my initial post have completed and new ones added.  Click Here to see the six current research projects.

Here are the current geocaching team members.  I think some of them lost the link.

Untitled-1.png

Edited by Thot
KeyResults likes this

Reinstalled the client software after a system rebuild ( had forgotten about it). Client running again

I had to power down all the machines I had running for various reasons.

I did however power up a retired 24 core dell server we had in the lab. Put in the rack and installed Ubuntu server minimal install. Installed client and it's crunching away now.

It's kind of a nice machine though.. So I don't know that I won't re-purpose it for something else... 

I built a new small cluster this morning. We had some retired servers that have been scraped for parts laying around in the lab. Basically just the chassis, system board, cpu, and random assortment of memory. ( I said random... LOL )

Anyway I decided to try my hand at DRBL which is a pretty cool project.

Long story short I installed Ubuntu Server 16.04 base install, openssh, and DRBL on the one server I could find drives for, oh, and also the BOINC client.

The other remaining servers with no drives were configured to boot from the network card and connect to the DRBL server for the OS. Basically these servers are just thin clients at this point.

Ran the BOINC script included with DRBL and away they all went crunching work units. 48 CPU cores total between the 4 machines. So 48 work units can be crunched at a time.

IMG_20160518_155036.jpg

KeyResults and Team 150% like this

Thot: you just gained some serious cycles for the team!

Traditionally, computers (or cluster, or grids) get names...what shall this potential cure for Cancer be named Jason?

Team 150% likes this

El Cheapo ?... kind of like El Chapo... but short on hardware and free. but not stature... and well less villainess. Yea, I have no idea. 

Kirbydox and Team 150% like this

Just name it NEEDS MAINTENANCE, Oh wait you said it was running linux, nvm

As an aside, I noticed WCG added the Zika Virus Research to the list of projects looking for cycles too. 

I'm surprised more people don't step in. FUD I guess. It's a shame.

WCG has gotten several more projects since they won a national award recently for best distributed processing application (or something like that)