The obligatory Congratulations thread

337 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Congratulations to all on the recent milestones! :cheers:

Posted · Report post

These numbers are staggering! Congrats you guys! ESP Fred and Arlene. Well done! I hope it stays as fun for you as it was when y'all found #10

heftydude likes this

Posted · Report post

Thank you. Thank you. I'd like to thank all my fans who have cheered my every move. And to all the little people placing caches in my way, I thank you also. And to the PR who breaks rules on my behalf. When i submit caches, they are posted immediately. I don't always drink cerveza but when I do I drink XX.

KeyResults and CornDoll like this

Posted · Report post

Congrats to zoothornrollo on making 14,000 finds.

I had the chance to make his map.  I do not think I have mapped as many geocations as I have on this map.

Please take a gander and experience some virtual trips.

1240472_715799985102393_1220612612_n.jpg

2katz, HoustonControl and heftydude like this

Posted · Report post

We hit 16000 yesterday at Mudfrog's "Milestones of a Different Type Challenge" (GC3P96X)

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3P96X_milestones-of-a-different-type-challenge?guid=4bc94c0a-aad3-4124-b6ca-744363785725

Whoo-hoo!

Posted · Report post

Wow. 16000. What's that in Roman numerals? Binary? Hex? Octal? Navajo? Beats me. All I know is that's a lotta caches and a lotta fun! Glad we've been around to see some of your latest milestones. I hope it continues to be fun for you both for many many more years too! Well done MB's!! You are one special geocaching tandem!

Posted · Report post

16,000 caches in gasoline is $40,000.  Ha ha!  Yea!  Congrats to you both!

Posted · Report post

Congrats on your recent milestone!!  One never thinks of gas prices when they are geocaching and having fun!!  Hey Bert, we are just giving you a cushion for your 401K at work!!  Instead of ha ha, you should say muahahahahahha!!

Congrats again!! 

Posted · Report post

ATMA and I talk about the gas per cache ratio all the time.  My Jeep gets 15 mpg on average, so I try to maximize my numbers on each trip.

ATMA likes this

Posted · Report post

Up until now we had a nice little compact that did 40 MPG highway, but my new Outback only get's about 20-25 MPG.... gotta start thinking about fuel consumption when caching  :disappoint:

Posted · Report post

16,000 caches in gasoline is $40,000.  Ha ha!  Yea!  Congrats to you both!

If I had to guess, I'd say $40,000 was probably a low estimate of gas cost.  We used to have to go a long way to get caches when they were rarer.  It was not uncommon for us to have to go to places like Lake Jackson on a pretty regular basis to get a large grouping of caches.  Also, going after TX counties  and only getting a cache every 20 miles or so,or  State Park challenges will add up the gas in a hurry.  We have pretty much given up on going after FTFs unless we just stumble on them though because going after a single cache just to get an FTF isn't as economical as just waiting and getting the cache with the rest of the caches in the area as we have time to work the area.  Of course, what does help is finding an area and getting to it and then doing the rest on foot, bicycle, or kayak, which doesn't use the gas once you're there...just the muscle power. 

Posted · Report post

Well, I didn't want to scare the newbies, Kathy.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

I used to average about 7,000 miles per year on my vehicle.  After I started caching, that number jumped to 12,000.  My big ol' truck gets about 15 mpg on average, so that works out to around $1200 a year in extra gas.  And I'm not nearly as prolific as TexasWriter or the Muddy Buddies (or BaytownBert for that matter).

Of course, that doesn't include air fare, rental cars, hotel stays, etc... :startled:

Posted · Report post

18,000 caches???  Are you fricken kidding us?  :smiley6600: