Sign in to follow this  
Latitude Attitude

Scouting at the BNC

I recently discovered that the Baytown Nature Center (BNC) allows scouts to camp overnight.  Being from Baytown I was very excited when I heard this because we were in the process of setting up a camping trip nearby and this location seemed to be perfect.  I checked with the other scout leaders in our webelos den and we are scheduled for an overnight stay for this weekend. 

There is also naturalist available for badge training sessions, but the coolest thing for me is that the BNC is chock full of really cool geocaches http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=2c8bca71-314a-481e-9c7b-85506b4e72f2

Since I live in Baytown you would think that I have made it over to the BNC for some geocaching, but I really wanted to go with my mom and my kids so that we could all have fun with these hides and I kept putting the trip off.  Now that the scouts will be camping there I am excited about showing the scouts geocaching and have the whole afternoon setup for it on Saturday.  Three of our boys experienced geocaching at Shac Jam and they really enjoyed it so I think they will all have fun.

Anyway I wanted to let all the scouters know that the Baytown Nature center is a scout and geocacher friendly place.  The costs are $7 per scout (overnight fee) and $5 per scout for badge training (we are working on the outdoorsman badge).  I’ll let you know how it goes.

thacatfish    60

thats really cool that BNC does all that for scouts yall will have a blast there with HCs caches just dont let the scouts get too stumped with HCs awesome hides have a good time out there and let me know if u need any help with it i should be around town this weekend

Thanks ... for the offer for assistance.  I'm hoping that with more sets of eyes we will be able to find

some of those tricky caches! We are camping on the San Jacinto Point so I know there are a couple of evil hides there.

We will have a good 3 to 4 hours to geocache on Saturday....and there will be lot's of photos.  I am the website coordinator for the Den's website so I will be setting up a photo gallery for the BNC trip.  Also I have the whole day Sunday to go and pickup as many as I can with just my kids....Well if I'm not too exhausted that is :buck2:

The Camp-out at BNC with the Webelos was pretty awesome.  We were lucky and it did not rain on us pretty much the entire time.  That morning of the 13th was spent with the park naturalist on a 3 mile hike starting at the information center and into the nature preserve.  We did some trash pick up, and heard lots of information about the wildlife in the park.  I was surprised to hear that there were also bobcats in the area.  The naturalist helped the boys meet the requirements for the outdorsman badge.  I was also surprised that there were so many mosquitoes with the weather so cold (in the 50's)  The good thing was we were dressed warmly so they could get to most places, but they still attacked necks, hands, and faces.  Deet helped but one even bit me on the lip where I could not put any deet.  I also kept thinking about all the geocaches we were walking by :(  but I knew we didn't have much time if we wanted to get to the point for lunch. 

After the hike we ate lunch and began the geocaching activity that I had planned for the scouts.  I let the boys take turns holding the GPS and we were able to find 4 caches before some of the boys started getting tired.  I only had to help with 1 (BNC at the Point).  The boys enjoyed finding the caches and the parents also were also interested.  My daughter who was with us walked right up and found one of the sneaky hides while all the scouts were searching around :)  I wished we would have had more time and energy to do more caches but I think it was a hit!

Here are links to logs of the caches we found.

BNC - At the Point (II) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=ffa39b1e-a5fa-46a1-9b6f-58c2d5ae4cdd

BNC - The Tall Silent Type http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=e1b2cd79-4be4-41ca-98b3-96c0f2082606

BNC - Hanging Out by the Pool http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=2b0797d7-fd6b-4c56-8270-b7094c0dd7cd

A View of Texas Independence http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=17fd2eb7-6c0f-4dd5-8d03-b5f938410c02

When we got back to the point we setup camp and the boys played and a few went fishing. Ine boy caught a good sized croaker.  After the park closed we setup a fire (we had a fire pit) and the boys roasted hotdogs and marshmallows.  That night it got a little cold 43 degrees but every one was dressed for the cold so it wasn't too bad. 

In the morning we helped the boys cook breakfast.  We showed them how to make eggs (non- crunchy eggs  O0) and bacon.  One of the parents mentioned to me that the camping trip was the best he had ever experienced in the cubscouts.  Of course the views were awesome.  I think the camp-out was a hit and after everyone left, my kids and I did a little more geocaching.  I tried the first stage of the Whereigo cache with the iPhone app and we found the gazebo cache before heading out.

If any scouters are interested in camping out at the BNC or even making a day trip let me know.  The costs for badge work is $5 per scout whihc is a real bargain compared to what some groups charge.

cachestacker    736

Thanks for the write-up.  Good to know we have opportunities like that so close.  Have passed on this info to our pack's camping chair.