Garmin Chirp

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I picked up the display model at the REI in Willowbrook.

Playing with it now.

Got it programmed, but that's about it.

I've updated my Oregon with the 4.x OS which adds CHIRP.

Now I need to see what kind of perimeter I get when as I approach.

Posted · Report post

I picked up the display model at the REI in Willowbrook.

Playing with it now.

Got it programmed, but that's about it.

I've updated my Oregon with the 4.x OS which adds CHIRP.

Now I need to see what kind of perimeter I get when as I approach.

You know, in the right urban setting you can really mess with people with this....  :D

Posted · Report post

I went out to place my cache/chirp the other day but forgot the container.. still haven't placed mine yet.

I will say if you get one and you're having trouble connecting to it.. Step away from any other devices like cell phones and laptops with wireless. They totally stomp on it. I had to go outside with GPS and Chirp to get them connected. Then it was hit and miss.

15' seemed to be the average distance for detection. It's pretty neat and I think it will make for some interesting cache scenarios.

Posted · Report post

Got mine today and it programmed up real nice.  I didn't put down a waypoint or co-ord, so I think it should work "whereever"... say walking around at an event.  Should be interesting.

TFP, did you cache get published?

Posted · Report post

I need to get several of these for my wife.... 1 for her cellphone, keys, car, sunglasses,........ ;D

Posted · Report post

I also need several of these.  Everyone knows that if it isn't tethered to me, it doesn't stick around very long.  I've taken to putting my name on my hiking sticks in the hope that when other cachers find them where I left them (at the cache site), they will take pity on me and return them to me.  :-\

Posted · Report post

I found my first chirp today as a leg on a multi.  On my first try it didn't work.  Realized I needed a firmware update.  Worked great when I went back after that.  The download was fast.  Now I'm thinking about how/where I might use a chirp. 

Posted · Report post

Which model are you using?  Did it just pop-up and tell you it found a Chirp?

I found my first chirp today as a leg on a multi.  On my first try it didn't work.  Realized I needed a firmware update.  Worked great when I went back after that.  The download was fast.  Now I'm thinking about how/where I might use a chirp.

Posted · Report post

I'm using the Oregon 550.  I had to update to the latest firmware off the Garmin website.  Then turn on chirp searching through the setup.

You can see on the map screen (I think another one too) that chirp searching is active (which is good because that draws battery power, you would not want to leave it on when not needed).  When I got close to the chirp it just downloaded immediately so the download screen came up.

eb9da91d-2342-45bf-8caf-eeb128204488.jpg

The only mistake I made was taking this screenshot during the download; it froze the screen.  I turned off my unit and turned it back on and it downloaded immediately.

Posted · Report post

So after everything else, you would just about need to know there was a chirp cache you were going for, or risk drawing excessively on your batteries, right?  I have the Oregon 450.

Posted · Report post

Yes, you would not want to leave it in search mode as it is continuously looking for a chirp when activated. 

Posted · Report post

I like the idea of it, but it sounds like it has a ways to go before it goes mainstream.

Posted · Report post

I agree.  Part of that will be figuring out the possibilities.  I ordered one but I don't know yet what I will do with it.  I'm not sure how many people in my area have a compatible device so I'll be watching the one that has been placed already.

Posted · Report post

I picked up some cool info and made a couple of good contacts at CES related to ANT+.

Picture this...

Samsung just released a couple of phones with ANT+ built in.  They run Android and you could write a Chirp aware phone app.  Sounds like a hoot... Just need one of their phones.