Garmin Chirp

41 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Here is an interesting new device from Garmin.  The Chirp will broadcast info to the newer Garmin GPSr units when you get within about 30ft.  Could be used for redirector or give hints when in the area of GZ.  Of coarse you have to have the latest Garmin units for this to work.  Another nudge to get people to upgrade?

http://www.gpsfix.net/garmin-chirp-announcement/

Posted · Report post

That is such a neat idea!

Posted · Report post

Sorry to sound negative, but that's a lot of money to lose if a cache gets muggled...  :'(  ...it's bad enough that ammo cans have gotten so expensive...

It is, though, a cool idea.  :)

Posted · Report post

I was thinking the same thing so the Chirp would have to not be in the container. If the Chirp got Muggled, that would be a pretty expensive loss.

Posted · Report post

We got these in this week. I read something today that said they would work with any ANT device. I have not been able to call my Garmin rep to ask any questions, but it is on my list.  O0 He has "ofice days" on Tuesdays, so I will try him then. I might just take one of mine and Michelle's Oregon 300 up to the store and "play" and see what happens.

Posted · Report post

The web site says they work with Garmin GPSr handhelds that have wireless communication.  That is the units that can share waypoints.  For example the GPSMAP 62st and 62s would be compatible while the GPSMAP 62 would not.  It makes that $100 to get the sensor package a little easier to spend.

Posted · Report post

Humm... think of the fun we could have with a "Chip Event"

Texas Challenge??? >:D

Posted · Report post

I just ordered one.  Should be fun.

What side of town to you live on? REI Willowbrook has them in stock.

Posted · Report post

Far side of Missouri City.... How long would you guess REI.com will take.  They said "usually 2 to 3 weeks" for the backlog, but i figure that was default text.

Not really in a hurry, but I am curious.

Posted · Report post

Far side of Missouri City.... How long would you guess REI.com will take.  They said "usually 2 to 3 weeks" for the backlog, but i figure that was default text.

Not really in a hurry, but I am curious.

ussualy 7-10days.

Posted · Report post

While I was updating the firmware on my GPSr this morning I noticed it added support for the Chirp.

So I guess if you're getting one or going after a cache where a chirp is used you'll most likely have to update your firmware.

Posted · Report post

The web site says they work with Garmin GPSr handhelds that have wireless communication.  That is the units that can share waypoints.  For example the GPSMAP 62st and 62s would be compatible while the GPSMAP 62 would not.  It makes that $100 to get the sensor package a little easier to spend.

pretty sure this page was not current the other day, because it now lists more units. our Oregon 300's are "on the list" YAY O0

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=74811#productTab

Posted · Report post

The Oregon 300 has the wireless data sharing but the 200 will not work.

Posted · Report post

I was curious about the ANT protocol and found this interesting (but geeky) article on my favorite non authoritative information source.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANT_(network)

Sounds like a pretty robust technology for what it does.  I'm sure a chip event wouldn't be a problem for it.

-TG

Posted · Report post

Does this make the cache a 5 difficulty because it requires special equipment?

Posted · Report post

I have the Colorado..will it work with the chirp?  I am looking forward for the first chirp cache to be placed!!

Posted · Report post

Well I looked up the answer to my own question.. No the Colorado does not support the Chirp, eventhough it has the ANT capability to do so, it is not designed to do so.  I wonder if Garmin will upgrade the Colorado........  :tickedoff: