Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SockPuppet

PC Hardware Costs

32 posts in this topic

Funny how fast things change isn't it???

I remember my first upgrade on my first computer was to add a 1.08GB hard drive for $405!

Now looking on pricewatch.com I see a 1TB for $54.99 with free shipping.

I paid $160 for 4 MB of RAM and no one could believe I had that much RAM...  true.

We recently bought a Toshiba 1.5TB external drive for $70 at Office Depot.

My first upgrade was to buy a 20MB hard dive on a card for my AT&T PC6300.  It only had two floppy drives before that...  5.25" 360K floppies!  What would I ever do with a whole 20MB of memory?  ::)

Remember using a hole punch so you could 'double side' the floppies when drives only wrote on one side??

HC - we said the same thing when get got our upgrad from our TRS COCO -- an IBM PC XT -- but only half as much as you.  "10 MB?!?!  We'll never fill 10 MB!!"  :D

Waiting to load from tape drive on our VIC20 was an exercise in patience for this 5yr old... then we upgraded to a Commodore 64...

Ohhh yesss.  Atari 800XL was an upgrade from the Atari 400 and I could write stuff and save it.  Then came the Apple IIe with the  5 1/4 built in double sided discs.  I'm still trying to rid myself of all the 3.5" discs that are now junk.

lets see...

Adam with cassette tape drives

Trash 80s at high school (TRS-80) with 8in floppies

Punchcards at my first job (after they upgraded, I snagged the unused cards and had note cards for decades!)

Amiga 3.5 floppies (and it could talk!)

First modem... 1200bps for $300 and it came with a $400 compuserve bill the first month.

Remember bernolli drives? 

12" Optical platters (1.2, 2.6, 12, and eventually 30GBs)

Now I'm styling a 128GB SSD drive that gives my laptop 10+ hours of run time if I'm careful.

Whew!

Commodore vic20, 300 baud modem, cassette drive...  priceless

My first PC was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (Trash-80).  What's a hard drive?  :D

My first PC was a Radio Shack TRS-80 (Trash-80).  What's a hard drive?  :D

Whiners, the whole lot of you.  We were so poor my first computer was an abacus and a peg board instead of those luxuriant 32 column monitor.  Calculations weren't to bad but simple text based role playing games like  Eliza were a bit slow.

Y'all could afford an abacus????  :2funny:

I thought you had a sliderule - err -- one of them wooden computers a tad-bit more advanced than an abacus.

In 1971 I bought a slide rule for engineering classes.  In the fall they came out with the HP calculator. I ended up buying some generic calcualtor sine it did square roots. People used to come over to do some square roots.  Later the Texas Instruments came out with the SR-51. Cost was $179 and worth every penny at the time. No reverse Polish calculations needed.

I bought a Texas Instruments digital watch.  it ran for about 3 days before it went crazy.  i bought another with the same results...then Casio showed up.  :2funny:

It just dawned on me...we are a bunch of old people.  :angel:

Whiners, the whole lot of you.  We were so poor my first computer was an abacus and a peg board instead of those luxuriant 32 column monitor.  Calculations weren't to bad but simple text based role playing games like  Eliza were a bit slow.

Hey, I never said the AT&T PC was my first computer.  That would have been the Ti-99/4A from Texas Instruments

ti-994a.jpg

I sprung for the 13" color monitor (OK, it was a TV) and the cassette tape drive "memory".

Actually, that was my first digital computer.  My first computing machine was a Friden electromechanical calculator similar to this one that my dad brought home from work one day, since they were throwing it out.  I used it to calculate batting averages for my fantasy baseball team, circa 1972.

fridenstw.jpg

I still have it!

Heck the only reason that Gmail got so big was that they offered from the onset 1 Gig of storage instead of the 256 or 512 MB.

Hey, I never said the AT&T PC was my first computer.

I have this rule I apply to forum threads on old computer stuff.  An observation similar to Godwin's Law.  "As an online discussion of old computers grows longer, the probability of a nostalgic recollection of a TRS-80 approaches 1."  My personal response once this threshold has been crossed is to introduce the abacus into the discussion.  Otherwise some one will bring up having owned an Altair 8800 and another forum member will inevitably claim the poster never actually owned an Altair.  In which case a protracted and unpleasant fight will ensue.    Call it a public service that I offer to this community.  ;)

Oh yeah, I did have an Apple II (no E).  Barely got it to turn on.

My first supercomputer was an Altair

TN_altair.JPG

Who needs a keyboard, mouse, and monitor when you have a bazillion toggle switches.

Actually, that was my first digital computer.  My first computing machine was a Friden electromechanical calculator similar to this one that my dad brought home from work one day, since they were throwing it out.  I used it to calculate batting averages for my fantasy baseball team, circa 1972.

fridenstw.jpg

I still have it!

Actually they had these in a room at my university. You could use these to multiply by cracking the handle. I saw a small version at a resale shop. They had no idea what it was used for. :2funny:

Actually they had these in a room at my university. You could use these to multiply by cracking the handle. I saw a small version at a resale shop. They had no idea what it was used for. :2funny:

Mine's electric, so no handle "cracking".  It took it about 15 seconds of whirring and clanking to do some division problems. If you tried to divide by zero, it would run and run and clatter and click until smoke was coming out.  :D

Oh yeah, I did have an Apple II (no E).  Barely got it to turn on.

My first supercomputer was an Altair

TN_altair.JPG

Who needs a keyboard, mouse, and monitor when you have a bazillion toggle switches.

No possible way you could have owned an Altair!  (I never said I wouldn't start the argument.) ;D