Isn't there a Minimum Requirement?

195 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.

Apparently, nobody cares about requirements.  When I was a VERY newbie (and as I've not yet been at it 6 months I still consider myself a newbie), I was advised by an experienced cacher, find quite a few before hiding any.  She claimed she'd found about 500 before hiding her first.  I'm sure it's nothing new to the folks on this board, but I've seen a plethora of caches hidden by cachers with fewer than 10 hides.  Sometimes these cachers have more hides than finds.  It's not always the case, but often the coords are far from accurate.  One even has the posted coords on the roof of a WalMart.

Posted · Report post

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October.

I can't find where the CO specifically said so, but I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.  The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Agreed, but since the CO has signed onto the site recently and this has been happening for 4 months, it seemed apparent the CO is allowing it.

Hate to see the webcams go but if there isn't a working camera, it isn't a webcam cache anymore as Thot said.

Posted · Report post

The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.

One even has the posted coords on the roof of a WalMart.

Hence the reason to find more before hiding, or the need for Instant Gratification....

Posted · Report post

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October.

I can't find where the CO specifically said so, but I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.  The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Agreed, but since the CO has signed onto the site recently and this has been happening for 4 months, it seemed apparent the CO is allowing it.

Hate to see the webcams go but if there isn't a working camera, it isn't a webcam cache anymore as Thot said.

It seems that the cam has had issues a few times since 2008 and gets put back up.... but I would think a temporary disablement would be in order. 

Posted · Report post

CO may be worried that if he disables it for too long it will get archived by the reviewer and then since they are no longer allowed, he won't be able to bring it back. 

Posted · Report post

There's one thing missing.  He should have submitted this the day he got an account.  ;D

Posted · Report post

I rolled through that cache page two times, figured I'd missed something. Guess less is more.

Posted · Report post

And it's less than 400' from an existing puzzle cache by USMorrows.  I guess PR is slipping a bit...

Posted · Report post

And where would that puzzle cache be exactly? With the coords in hand I could make a case to PR. ::) No other motive for me, no.....

Posted · Report post

I saw that this morning also.  I guess the fellow/lady doesn't want us to post anything for a find, right?  :angel:

I guess there's no minimum requirement on cache descriptions either... http://coord.info/GC2NG74  :o

Posted · Report post

I saw that this morning also.  I guess the fellow/lady doesn't want us to post anything for a find, right?  :angel:

HA HA  that would be funning...  all blank logs.  LOL

Posted · Report post

OK, so now I'm wondering... Was searching for a cache which was recently placed atop a recently archived cache and I found part of the old container.  Only the top was still there.  Is that a find?

Posted · Report post

You will find a variety of opinions on this but here's mine.  No, I would not log a find.  I would log a DNF for the current cache.  If you feel you must log a find, log it for the archived cache since that's what you found a piece of.  But, in my opinion, finding a piece of a cache container is not finding a cache.

Posted · Report post

OK, so now I'm wondering... Was searching for a cache which was recently placed atop a recently archived cache and I found part of the old container.  Only the top was still there.  Is that a find?

And we're with Thot.  Our answer is no.

Posted · Report post

Did you find the new one, too?  If so, it's a find for the new one but not for the old / archived one, IMO.  If, however, you found the old conainer and could sign the log, you could log both, IMO... if you can find that archived one on the GC.com system!

Posted · Report post

Did you find the new one, too?  If so, it's a find for the new one but not for the old / archived one, IMO.  If, however, you found the old conainer and could sign the log, you could log both, IMO... if you can find that archived one on the GC.com system!

Certainly, if he found the new one.  I don't know why he'd ask about that.  I read his message to mean all he found at the location was the lid for the old cache container.

Posted · Report post

If you found a "lid", then you have "scored".  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

OK, sorry if I was unclear.  I found the new container.  It's Ruins of The Wizard's Tower GC2NM2D.  But while I was there, I was VERY surprised to find part of what was obviously the prior cache.  It was the top to a Lock n Lock and it had "Geocache" written on the top in black marker.  There was nothing else there.  Well, nothing else I was willing to find without gloves.  The new cache is a great cache.  Super spot, tough hunt, and may survive muggles because it's hard to find.  The old cache was apparently too easy to find and may be in that pile of trash in a pipe near GZ of the new cache.  Maybe I'll go look some more, but according to Bert, I scored.  I'm really just sort of playing around here, but if the old cache is still there, it could be 2 logable caches atop each other.

Posted · Report post

I think Bert was flashing back to his days in SE Asia and referring to a different kind of "lid".  :o:laugh:

Posted · Report post

I wondered about that reference.  Nothing smokeable there.  Don't think today's kids understand that slang btw.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure if it will last.  It was a pretty easy find, and the two other caches that have been there:

Turtle Rock lasted just over a month before it was muggled the first time.

Escape from Alcatraz lasted barely a week before the first muggling.