Isn't there a Minimum Requirement?

195 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Perhaps a way to educate the newbies is to invite them to a newbie class that is put on by a veteran cacher.  Email invitations could go out to some of those newbies that seem to be doing the things that are annoying the veterans.  I'm not volunteering to do this training because it's not bugging me enough to do anything about it and I just don't have the time or energy right now to do so.  If I were feeling better and I didn't have 2 weddings in the family coming up, I might volunteer, but the time is not right now for me now.  It could be a way of getting out the information without them feeling attacked like an email addressing the issue might make them feel. 

Posted · Report post

Perhaps a way to educate the newbies is to invite them to a newbie class that is put on by a veteran cacher.  Email invitations could go out to some of those newbies that seem to be doing the things that are annoying the veterans.  I'm not volunteering to do this training because it's not bugging me enough to do anything about it and I just don't have the time or energy right now to do so.  If I were feeling better and I didn't have 2 weddings in the family coming up, I might volunteer, but the time is not right now for me now.  It could be a way of getting out the information without them feeling attacked like an email addressing the issue might make them feel.

There is a Wiki---

Posted · Report post

There is a Wiki---

That's certainly a start. 

Posted · Report post

I suspect that there are 2 basic groups of people who geocache.  Those who want something new/flash in the pan types, who do it for a short while and lose interest.  Education is not even a concern, as they will move on as soon as the shine wears off.

The second group tend to be a bit anal (right?) and regardless of what happens next, they will seek out all the info they can find to promote their interest.

Both groups will make initial mistakes.  Heckfire, I'm still making them left and right.  :angel:

Posted · Report post

I suspect that there are 2 basic groups of people who geocache.  Those who want something new/flash in the pan types, who do it for a short while and lose interest.  Education is not even a concern, as they will move on as soon as the shine wears off.

The second group tend to be a bit anal (right?) and regardless of what happens next, they will seek out all the info they can find to promote their interest.

Both groups will make initial mistakes.  Heckfire, I'm still making them left and right.  :angel:

Nope neither of those are me. There must be at least a third group where I belong. I love love love geocaching, but I could care less how or if you log one of my caches. Heck you don't even have to go find the cache for all I care, log it from your couch if that is what you are into. 

My philosophy is "you do you, and I will do me"

Posted · Report post

Bit my tongue and now require many stitches...

Posted · Report post

Note: Add 3rd group:  Rebellious by nature.  They don't give a rats meow, just want to have fun.  :2funny:

Nope neither of those are me. There must be at least a third group where I belong. I love love love geocaching, but I could care less how or if you log one of my caches. Heck you don't even have to go find the cache for all I care, log it from your couch if that is what you are into. 

My philosophy is "you do you, and I will do me"

Posted · Report post

You and Stan finally tying the knot?  ::)  :D :D

Posted · Report post

You and Stan finally tying the knot?  ::)  :D :D

Do we get a party if we are?  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

It is always good to say what you feel - better than just packing up and going way.  That being said, we are in the process of planning a high end D/T series in George Bush Park that may cause you pain in a different way!  >:D

COOL!  Bring the pain!!! O0

You ready for this?

post-757-131759832919_thumb.jpg

Posted · Report post

Trying to understand the connection between this and the topic of the thread?

Posted · Report post

I bet that's a logging error.  He's been caching since 2008 and has over 350 finds.  At least once I have forgotten to change the type from Found to DNF.  Mrs Hazlenuts promptly corrected me.  :angel:

Posted · Report post

I've either won or tied for minimum log

I've gotten dozens of those since the phone apps stopped requiring any words in the Comment field.  I figure they're newbies that don't know any better, so I've given up worrying about it.

Posted · Report post

I had 29 of them in a row from the same cacher the other day , so I wrote him.  He was thankful, thankfully and vowed to get with the program.

I've either won or tied for minimum log

Posted · Report post

I got one over a week ago and emailed the cacher.  no response so far.  I find it annoying and it makes me want to go check the paper log to see if the person bothered to find the cache.

Posted · Report post

What's the minimum requirement for a web cam cache?  I would have thought a web cam.

Not for some cachers that are logging this even though the cam is down... they even say so it their logs!

http://coord.info/GCJ067

I just don't get it.

Posted · Report post

Claiming a web cam cache when the cam isn't working?  Sounds like throwing down a container when you can't find one.  Hey, didn't someone do that on the Endurance Series?  Finding a string and claiming a find... Not even writing tftc on a log... What's this game coming to?

Posted · Report post

...Sounds like throwing down a container when you can't find one.  ... What's this game coming to?

Well, there's been someone on the NW side doing a lot of that lately, too.....  >:( JUST to get a smiley....man, is a number really THAT WORTH IT?!?!?  :tickedoff:

Posted · Report post

What's the minimum requirement for a web cam cache?  I would have thought a web cam.

Not for some cachers that are logging this even though the cam is down... they even say so it their logs!

http://coord.info/GCJ067

I just don't get it.

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October. 

Posted · Report post

Apparently the CO (who was on GC.com website yesterday) is allowing pictures taken with alternative means since there has been problems with the webcam since October.

I can't find where the CO specifically said so, but I guess it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.  The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Posted · Report post

The link to the webcam is completely missing from the site he says to go to, so there may be permanent issues with this cache.

Well, if so, in my opinion it isn't a webcam cache anymore.  And taking a picture with a digital camera or cell phone doesn't meet the requirements.