Sign in to follow this  
SockPuppet

iPhone in the field

Today I used my iPhone to find two caches. If you are on an iPhone and you bring up a cache page and then select view in google maps and then select the aerial page there will be two dots. One is the cache and the other is your position.  I was able to locate two caches today using that method.

I was doing a few impromptu caches on the way home from Camp Wood today using the iPhone.  I switched to the "compass" mode by touching the compass icon in the upper righthand corner of the view Linden is referring to.  Trouble is, the arrow never seems to point towards the cache.  It just swings around wildly, even though I know I'm driving straight toward the cache and the numbers are counting down.  I ended up punching the coords into my GPSr once I got near GZ.  Maybe I need to calibrate the iPhone compass or something... ???

I don't think you can calibrate the iPhone.  I've tried a few caches with it, with mixed luck.  Usually it doesn't really help.  To find a cache, I use my Garmin. 

I was doing a few impromptu caches on the way home from Camp Wood today using the iPhone.  I switched to the "compass" mode by touching the compass icon in the upper righthand corner of the view Linden is referring to.  Trouble is, the arrow never seems to point towards the cache.  It just swings around wildly, even though I know I'm driving straight toward the cache and the numbers are counting down.  I ended up punching the coords into my GPSr once I got near GZ.  Maybe I need to calibrate the iPhone compass or something... ???

I was not using the compass. I was just walking on the sidewalk and waiting for the dot of the cache and my position to line up. O0

I don't think you can calibrate the iPhone.  I've tried a few caches with it, with mixed luck.  Usually it doesn't really help.  To find a cache, I use my Garmin.

Same here, although the iphone 4 and the version 4.0 geocaching software from Groundspeak are making it closer for me to dump my Garmin, although we are still far from that happening. I use it for impromptu caching and as a solid second back up in the event that my Garmin is having problems locating. It's pretty solid though for your paperless caching needs though.

We had MAJOR issues with the geocaching app while out in the west.  We luckily had downloaded PQs for the routes we planned, but the coverage was so lousy that we couldn't do searches from many places.

It sure beats our old info-on-index cards system, though (but we used that one while in the Grand Canyon).

We had MAJOR issues with the geocaching app while out in the west.  We luckily had downloaded PQs for the routes we planned, but the coverage was so lousy that we couldn't do searches from many places.

It sure beats our old info-on-index cards system, though (but we used that one while in the Grand Canyon).

I am assuming you are referring to the ATT 3G network.

I am assuming you are referring to the ATT 3G network.

More bars in more places.... :tickedoff:

WOW, our Droids with Sprint(believe it or not) had good enough coverage on our last 12 state 5k mile road trip to cache with when we needed to. c:geo app worked great too.

I'm finding all this feedback very interesting.  My contract is up at the end of the month.  Right now I'm deciding between the iPhone and the Samsung Captivate.  I'm sticking with AT&T because they have the best coverage where I live which is where I spend the majority of my time.  When I had Sprint, it would not even work in my house and Verizon isn't very good here either. 

I wasn't going bring in the DROID element of the discussion, but now that the door's been open, I'll give my $.02

The compass (GPSr functionality) on the droid is fairly accurate.  While it's not perfect, I can get a great idea of where the cache is, and if it's a clear day with no tree coverage, it leads me right to it.

Only one time did I have to key in the coords on my garmin.

c:geo is a fantastic app for the droid, too.  Free!

One strange thing I heard about the iPhone is you can't change your notification tones?  Is/was that true?  Crazy!  :crazy2: