Sign in to follow this  
Texas_Seekers

Merit Counslers

I have a fairly odd question but it has been on my mind for some time. I noticed that a lot of users on this forume are counslers themselves. I was wondering if volunteers for boyscouts or merit counslers themselves can earn merit badges whether it be in view or off to the side. Any information would be greatly appreciated! :)

I'm relatively new to scouting and have not signed up to be a counselor yet, but I believe that Boy scout merit badges are only available to Boy scouts age 10 or 11 to 18.  I know that there are some adult awards and patches may be given out by the local Troops\Districts.  Also at the different events the parents may get a patch etc...  I helped at a first aid competition and received a first aid patch.

Yep... Merit Badges are for the scouts... which they stop being when they turn 18.  Adults involved in scouting are generally referred to as scouters.  Hopefully the 18 year olds chose to join the ranks of scouters and give back to the program.

It's been a while since I was in... but back then after Boy Scouts...they had another program... I think it was called Explorers or something like that. Don't remember the age range for that.

right..... Venture Crews and Sea Scouts I think go older... perhaps 21.  They are different than the old explorer program but do serve the older scouts.