Going Green?

31 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't know about everyone else out there but the Going Green expression really irks me.  Many people who use it mention a small contribution to going green while making a change that more than offsets the small change.  An example would be moving to a more energy efficient home but having to drive further to work.  :P

Posted · Report post

I'm going green by not cutting my grass anymore.  Think of all the greenhouse gasses that my lawn mower is no longer emitting each week!  Of course, I've hired a crew that cuts my grass for me and their mowers may be powered by internal combustion -- I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll just say I'm going green cardO0  ;)

Posted · Report post

I'm going green by not cutting my grass anymore.  Think of all the greenhouse gasses that my lawn mower is no longer emitting each week!  Of course, I've hired a crew that cuts my grass for me and their mowers may be powered by internal combustion -- I'm not sure.

Maybe I'll just say I'm going green cardO0  ;)

My wife hired a lawn service. One of the best things she has ever given me (until he cut down my Japense Black Pine Tree).

Posted · Report post

We don't mow our back yard at all. We have 9 natural lawn mowers...

wr043.jpg

Posted · Report post

It's not easy being green:

kermit.jpg

...unless, of course, you can back it up:

celebrity-pictures-yoda-being-green.jpg

Posted · Report post

I don't know about everyone else out there but the Going Green expression really irks me.

Ditto.  The phrase irritates me because recently some friends have applied it to me, but last I checked I haven't changed a different color.  :)  Sure I have tried to change some of the things we do, but mostly I did it to save money (hang clothes on line instead of dryer...still doing that some because I like the smell of the hung clothes) or it is fun (make all our soap).  We go out of our way to recycle, but use more gas to do so because my neighborhood doesn't have curbside, so that isn't helpful in the long run.  lol  The only "green" thing I did do to be more environmental was give up plastic bags because I was tired of seeing them flying around when we are going somewhere.  I even learned to sew so I could have cool shopping bags. 

Posted · Report post

Hey OHL, what kind of emissions do those things let off?

Posted · Report post

Hey OSC, what kind of emissions do those things let off?

You're have to ask OHG  :D

Posted · Report post

I did... what you talkin' bout.    :-[

One more edit and maybe it will be right.  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

I've gone green by using alcohol as a octane enhancer additive to the gasoline in my Tundra.  Except for that part where it takes more fossil fuel energy to make alcohol than if you just burned gasoline in the first place. :knuppel2:

Which brings up another question.  Does having a Tundra now mean there well be less tundra in the future?  Any thoughts on this HC?

Posted · Report post

Believe it or not the plant were I starting working allowed employees to take two quarts of solvents, alcohols, or epoxy home with them.  I had several cans of anhydrous alcohol that I used to keep the water out of my gas tanks and as a starting fluid for my lawn mower. I also had some secondary Butyl Alcohol that I used for lighter fluid.  Unfortunately I used all of the stuff up.

Posted · Report post

My idea of going green is walking as many places as I can and driving a car which gets 30+ mpg.  That's about it.

Posted · Report post

I've gone green by using alcohol as a octane enhancer additive to the gasoline in my Tundra.  Except for that part where it takes more fossil fuel energy to make alcohol than if you just burned gasoline in the first place. :knuppel2:

Which brings up another question.  Does having a Tundra now mean there well be less tundra in the future?  Any thoughts on this HC?

Working for Big Oil, I'm not allowed to drive anything that gets more than 15 mpg.  ;)  My donation to the "geen effort" is that my commute is 8 miles, round trip.

Posted · Report post

Amazingly, my neighborhood received our oversize recyling containers today...now I have no more excuses for not recycling.  As my contribution to going green, I traded in my 1999 GMC gas guzzling Suburban for a newer more fuel efficient Tahoe.  I accidently parked it one time in those "hybird vehicles only" parking spaces at Best Buy.  I figured out the nasty look from the guy parked next to me in his Prius when I saw the sign as I was pulling out of the space.

Posted · Report post

I accidently parked it one time in those "hybird vehicles only" parking spaces at Best Buy.  I figured out the nasty look from the guy parked next to me in his Prius when I saw the sign as I was pulling out of the space.

Smugness knows no bounds.  South Park did a great episode on this.  I skipped parking in hybrid/alt fuel  vehicle spots  at hospital an Austin hospital only t come out later and see them filled with flex fuel Suburbans.  Since then I just ignore those signs.

Posted · Report post

I've never run across the hybrid only parking signs.  I'm sure they will get under my skin as much as the parking spaces for pregnant women. 

Posted · Report post

I've never run across the hybrid only parking signs.  I'm sure they will get under my skin as much as the parking spaces for pregnant women.

I've never seen the signs for hybrid cars either.  I don't think it would annoy me at all.  :notme:  :2funny:

Posted · Report post

My local Bank of America branch has a hybrid/alt fuel reserved space next to the handicap zone.  How PC to differentiate your customers by the kind of car they drive.

Posted · Report post

The only type of reserved space that can legally be enforced is the handicapped spot. Any other spot is the local business trying to make people "feel good"

Posted · Report post

Slightly off-topic -- I've always wondered about the signs in front of businesses in a strip center saying "Parking for XYZ Customers Only".  I mean, when they lease the building space for their business, does it legally include the parking spots in front of the business?  Or (as I believe), are all the parking spots in the lot "common area" for the entire strip center?  My guess is they put up the signs hoping to intimidate folks into not parking there unless they're visiting that business, but they have no legal backing.

I just don't want to pay a towing fee to find out if I'm right... :-\

Posted · Report post

Many times the lease guarantees a certain number of spaces for that tenant.  They would have control (i.e., to tow) over thoses spaces.

Posted · Report post

AFAIK, businesses can reserve spaces for who ever they want and as long as they post a notice, they can tow.  Its private property and they should be able to use it as they see fit.  If they can lease out preferred spaces, that is just fine, just like they can reserve spaces only for customers and exclude people going to other establishments.

BofA can put up whatever signs they want, and even enforce them if they see fit, but the "feel good" part of segregating customers based on their choice of auto eludes me.  Particularly when it is not rational.  Flex fuel vehicles actually use more fossil fuels than similar conventionally fueled vehicles and some small conventional cars are more efficient than hybrids.