aaronbarbee

Going after 4th cache ever - GCD 7/4/10

If anyone in the area wants to go with me, I'm going after GCD tomorrow (Sunday 7-4-10).

From what I've seen in the logs, the last 1/4 mile is in the snow (yep, snow in July!).  So, I'll pick up some long johns if I can find any.  Wouldn't want a repeat of HC's evil DANGEROUS cache!

I'll probably leave sometime between 1-2pm local time (depending on how the event goes).

If you're interested, PM me (here or on GC.com) with your cell number and I'll get the messages tonight... hopefully.

He's talking about the cache GCD which is up in Washington state.

This message is really directed toward any of the Houston contingent up there for Geowoodstock 8.

AHH.. newbie mistake. I think that one is out of my caching area.    :-\

Just have Farnsworth fuel up your private jet and go join them!  You'll be back in time for cocktails.  O0

Well, I did the GCD cache and boy was it a pain!  Of course, in my fashion I made it much harder than it needed to be.

Took the wrong trail, that trail ended so I made a b-line for the cache.  My b-line was North of the real trail and it paralleled the whole time, so I ended up bushwhacking up the side of a STEEP mountain for about 3/4 mile.

At one time I was climbing about a 60 degree slope with huge boulders on either side and fallen trees that I had to essentially use as ladders.

Once I got to about 1/4 mile from the cache then it was a trek through the snow.  Luckily the snow was starting to melt so the top layer was somewhat solid enough to walk on.  I only fell knee-deep a couple times giving my legs a nice ice shower.

Once to GZ, I met up with another group of cachers (in their early 60's I'd say).  I followed them out on the right trail.  Come to find out they were at GZ about 20 minutes before I got there and I headed out on the wrong trail about 30 minutes before they headed on the right one.

SO, almost 2 hours for me, 1hr 15mins for them.  YAY!

I'm so glad those I tried to recruit didn't go with me... . although, you guys most likely would have gotten me on the right trail and it would be a 2 hour round-trip on a somewhat easy trail.  Rather the 3 hours on intense mountain climbing for me.

I'll post pictures and maps of what I did on the cache page later today.

BTW, I put a couple soda tubes in the huge boulders.  The STT's are NATIONWIDE now!  hahahah j/k