Sign in to follow this  
TravelingGeek

FCL split hike for new and old boys scouts

TravelingGeek    140

Our troop is looking for a place to combine a 10 mile and a two day, 5 mile hike.

The ideal scenario would be to hike about 2.5 miles, make camp for the younger scouts and have the older boys continue for another 8.5 to 12 miles and arrive back at the base came the same day or by late morning of the next day.  The Older boys could camp in the middle of their longer hike or come back to the base camp.  On the second day everyone hikes back out.  The result is the younger scouts get their 5 miles in over two days and the older boys get 10+ miles in in one or two days.

I'd love to work this into the Four Cache Loop, but need advice on a suitable camp sites.  The older boys are well able to camp primitive using leave not trace methods.

They younger boys can as well, but some are still "scout" rank and may be more comfortable with "facilities" that don't include a cat hole or a tube.  ;-)    But they'll do what they have to do to do what they have to do!.

Any thoughts?

Mr Muddy Buddy    223

The Lonestar Hiking Club has some great information about camping in the area.

From what I remember, there is a nice pond called Hidden Lake just past the end of Forest Service Road 213.

It is about a 1.5 to 1.75 miles hike from the parking area (along FSR-213) mentioned on the 4CL webpage.

If you go the 4 notch loop trail, then it will be roughly 6 miles to the lake.

The lake is roughly at N 30 39.500  W 95 24.070

This is primitive camping.  You pack everything you need in and out of the area.

There are no facilities in the area.

Another thought is Huntsville State Park.

I think the Chinquapin Trail loop around the lake is about 7 miles.  Or, you could take the CCC Trail around the outer edges of the park for a longer distance.

Great Birds    33

The US Forest Service may be willing to give you a key to the gate that will allow you to drive to Hidden Lake to deliver supplies and set up a latrine.    I believe there phone number if (936) 344-6205.    Either way, Hidden Lake is a great camp site and the kids will enjoy it.

Team Four Paw    358

We had to bushwhack to hidden lake from FNL. I'm not sure if there an actual trail to hidden lake.

Ty said at one time you could make arrangements and get the gate key.

We had to bushwhack to hidden lake from FNL. I'm not sure if there an actual trail to hidden lake.

Ty said at one time you could make arrangements and get the gate key.

One of the tracklogs you can download form the lonestar hiking club page has a track log that goes from the main 4 notch loop to the lake.  It is a decent trail and tracklog except in one place where you have to cross one of the larger creeks. There is a bridge that has been knocked down and I think you have to sideswipe it to a new bridge further down or just cross the creek without the bridge and pick up the trail again on the other side.    It is "the trail less travelled" but a beautiful area to walk through.  Good Luck and have fun!