Roland_oso

Texas Parks Geo-Challenge in the Houston area

I think TPWD does not realize that many of us would buy a second coin if we could.  In fact, I would even be OK with 1 coin prize per team with privilege to buy more.  That would be win-win for the parks. 

Heck - for a reasonable price, that may cover their cost in it!  If I were able to get out and complete it, I'd gladly buy my coin if I was not one of the first 100 / 25  / whatever -- just because I'd want one.  A few freebies for the first X to find, with the ability for everyone to buy one (or more if they got a freebie one) could be win-win for everyone, including the Parks.  I'd think they could work that out with a coin mfg somehow....

I cant wait to get our coin. Larry is right but to avoid 817 miles and the expenses involved, a coin selling for $100 would still be a deal.

Hi All,

I see the coordinates have made it out! Great stuff!

Don't forget your passport from the TPWD website!

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/geocaching/

Help us spread the word about the geocache challenge!

Rob Owen

TPWD

Do we know if this is only going to be available through the summer?

Do we know if this is only going to be available through the summer?

I think I saw you had to the end of July to finish.    Speaking of finishing, we have more finishers...bittybit, No Muggle, and Rich and Lola.  That makes about 19-21 finishers for the Houston area.  Georeynozos has finished at least 8 of the 10 parks.  Good luck Elisa. 

Thanks for the well wishes Kathy.  O0  I have completed the challenge and to all geocachers who attempt this...God Speed!!  ;D LOL!!  And the ones who have attempted it and completed it...congrats!!  O0

Phew!!  Stephen F. Austin was my last park and probably the toughest for me.  The cache is hidden well, but I drug my bike all over the area because I was afraid to leave it where I could not locate it again.  500 feet worth of bushwhaking....with a bike!  LOL.  Hey, it kept me up and was about as handy as a hiking stick....  I did lean on it quite a bit and it did its job.  (And yes, I know, if I would have seen the mini geotrail, I would have found the cache quicker!  :P )

As far as the all the parks as a whole...I would say that be prepared to hike to each cache, if you do not bring a bike.  I think the Galveston Cache was pretty much a *drive by* but the rest require to park in certain locations and walk/bike to the final area.

The trails are wonderful!!!  Beautiful trails...the areas are very nice.  I did extra caches in Lake Texana, two thumbs up on that.  Martin Dies....beautiiful, first time to the park.  They were all so nice and beautiful.

Yea, but who thinks about that. I nearly "lost" my bike at one of the parks too. Hey, I will leave it right here where I can find it again... right!  :o

Elisa, you could have stashed the bike and marked a waypoint so that you could come back to it later.  ;)

Elisa, you could have stashed the bike and marked a waypoint so that you could come back to it later.  ;)

Hey, I had problems trying to find the cache!!  Now stashing my bike, *marking* it (with my Garmin) and then trying to find it later...would have been a problem.  The grass is about 3 feet high....

Oh heck, why am I trying to explain, hey ATMA almost lost his bike too!! LOL!!!  :D :D

He He.  I've done that too many times to count, so I now have a habit of waymarking the car and the bike.

Hey, I had problems trying to find the cache!!  Now stashing my bike, *marking* it (with my Garmin) and then trying to find it later...would have been a problem.  The grass is about 3 feet high....

Oh heck, why am I trying to explain, hey ATMA almost lost his bike too!! LOL!!!  :D :D

James and I did six of the caches this weekend, four on Saturday and only two on Sunday (I got sick). Very impressive parks; the only one I'd been to before was Lake Livingston.

We had a terrible time at San Jacinto; there was a Volkswagen convention and we got stuck in a long line, then there was a hostile dude who cut in the line, which made James indignant enough that he flipped him off (I know, I know, I've spoken to him about it), whereupon the dude came to the car and cussed us out thoroughly in the most shocking terms. After that frightening experience, I just wasn't the same. We did find the San Jacinto cache (hey, we were *there,* and after all that...) but afterwards cut short our run instead of heading out to Galveston.

We went for a local "sympathy cache" after supper, though, just to prove a point.

This weekend we'll hit the last four! I've been to Brazos Bend many times, and I used to live in Galveston, though I don't think I ever officially visited the State Park there. There other two, SFA and Lake Texana, will be new to me.

Wish us luck!

--Q

If you have time to spend at Lake Texana, it has a ton of caches within the park.  If you are a bike rider, bikes make it a whole lot easier getting around this one.  Bikes would be good for Brazos Bend and SFA too.  Galveston is pretty much a park and grab, so bikes would not be a help there. 

If you have time to spend at Lake Texana, it has a ton of caches within the park.  If you are a bike rider, bikes make it a whole lot easier getting around this one.  Bikes would be good for Brazos Bend and SFA too.  Galveston is pretty much a park and grab, so bikes would not be a help there.

I loved Lake Texana so much, I would like to go back and finish the park.  It has some great caches there.  I really wanted to do them all but the heat was overwhelming geodaughter.  Lake Texana, I give a *2 thumbs up*... It was great!!

All of the first 25 geocoins are accounted for for the Houston challenge as long as everyone sent in their passports that finished it.  I count 18 finishers for the Dallas challenge that logged online.

DONE! Today we hit the last cache of the challenge, SFA SP. Whew! Now to send in my passport. I know all the winner Geocoins are gone, but hey, maybe we'll win in the drawing or something.  :)

Along the way, we had so much fun! We picked up a few other caches, but mostly, we concentrated on the challenge ones with promises to go back to certain parks to cache some more. I got some cool Travel Bugs to send on their way (my husband loves those), and one Pathtag, which is really neat--I want more of them! And to make my own! I'm addicted!  :crazy2:

Hmmm...wonder how feasible the Dallas area challenge would be....?  >:D

--Q

Hmmm...wonder how feasible the Dallas area challenge would be....?  >:D

--Q

20 cachers have logged that they have finished the Dallas Challenge.  Plan on the Dallas one taking longer to complete than the Houston one.  It has more parks.  It sounds like there are more parks with longer hikes, and there are multis.  I think the long hikes now that it is getting hot would be challenging.  I do think it would be fun to see some of those parks that I haven't ever visited before though.

Good News and even better news.

The geocoins for the TPWD Geo Challenges in the DFW and Houston areas have been ordered! Expect these to ship as soon as they are received.

Even better news is that thanks to bureaucratic BS, er I mean red tape a total of 100 coins will be given away in each region and not the original 25 as first publicized. This SNAFU is what caused the delay in ordering the coins. So as of now there are 75 coins up for grabs in both regions!

Get out to those Challenge parks and get you passports punched!

The geocoins for the TPWD Geo Challenges in the DFW and Houston areas have been ordered! Expect these to ship as soon as they are received.

Even better news is that thanks to bureaucratic BS, er I mean red tape a total of 100 coins will be given away in each region and not the original 25 as first publicized. This SNAFU is what caused the delay in ordering the coins. So as of now there are 75 coins up for grabs in both regions!

Great news!!!  I guess I better get back to the challenge!  5 down, 5 to go!

AWESOME!!!!!

Now if they add a extra month  O0

...Even better news is that thanks to bureaucratic BS, er I mean red tape a total of 100 coins will be given away in each region and not the original 25 as first publicized. This SNAFU is what caused the delay in ordering the coins. So as of now there are 75 coins up for grabs in both regions!

Wha--??!! You mean, James and I just might get one???  :cheers:

I'm thrilled!!! I'm not even going to tell James; let him be surprised if one actually comes in. Thanks for the news!

--Q

Praise Signal!!!!  :angel:

I thought maybe I was teetering on the brink of 25, not sure.  This is truly good news, thanks for sharing.....

This ought to get some more interest in the Houston area challenge.  It seems like the Dallas one is very active, but the Houston one is not very active any more. 

The nice people at TPWD have asked me to pass along that the coin awards for completion of the Texas Parks Geo Challenge have been changed from 25 coins to 100 in each arena. This means that the first 100 people that submit completed challenge cards in each area will receive a coin.

The coins are going to be awesome!

So, you can get a DFW area and Houston area coin, two coins, if you complete both challenges.

Wouldnt it be great to complete both of them?

Has anyone from this area done any of the DFW ones?

I know I will be in the Dallas area in mid July for at least a day, and might try to knock em all out.

I do see that one of the parks is going to be closed starting on July 5th, so I would have to go do that one earlier if I want to find them all.

I have 2 left to do for the Houston area challenge which I plan to finish on the 26th.