Microsoft should have announced Courier rather than Slate at CES...

If they did, iPad would be a mute product. What a horrible name by the way...

Meh -- Who Cares AND iPass

Apple is claiming it is better than the devices it is supposed to be combining.

It is not an e-reader. It has a tradition LCD screen like any laptop. The number one thing about e-readers are the new type of screens, e-ink. It is much easier on the eyes and allows for a long "staring" time, we will call it. The battery life on the iPad is 10 hours or less. E-readers such as the Kindle and nook are in the multiple weeks area, 2 weeks between charges.

Then Apple bashed netbooks at the event, claiming they are slow. Well, this iPad won't multi-task as of now. So you cannot type a document while looking at the internet browser. How is that going to speed the user up?

If this had a full blown OS on it, such as OSX, it could have been a real winner. The price (compared to the rest of the Apple product line) is somewhat fair. But this really appears to be nothing more than a big fat iPod Touch with a little bit of weak steroids. Plus..."iPad" -- are you kidding me? Surely they could have made a better name cause that is just ridiculous.

It is not an e-reader. It has a tradition LCD screen like any laptop. The number one thing about e-readers are the new type of screens, e-ink. It is much easier on the eyes and allows for a long "staring" time, we will call it. The battery life on the iPad is 10 hours or less. E-readers such as the Kindle and nook are in the multiple weeks area, 2 weeks between charges.

Then Apple bashed netbooks at the event, claiming they are slow. Well, this iPad won't multi-task as of now. So you cannot type a document while looking at the internet browser. How is that going to speed the user up?

If this had a full blown OS on it, such as OSX, it could have been a real winner. The price (compared to the rest of the Apple product line) is somewhat fair. But this really appears to be nothing more than a big fat iPod Touch with a little bit of weak steroids. Plus..."iPad" -- are you kidding me? Surely they could have made a better name cause that is just ridiculous.

Well, it does have an (I'm assuming S-IPS) IPS LCD panel but that's not really needed on a device like this...

...but I agree with everything you said. I see Apple developing all their new products around some kind of "store".

Stole this from a friend of mine :2funny:

Steve Jobs, I'm really happy for you, I'mma let you finish, but Moses had the greatest tablet announcement of all time.

And the first generation tablets broke easily and had to be replaced by the manufacturer. 

Must have

or

Who cares

or

iPass

iSegway.  Over priced, overhyped, cool as all hell, the "10X cooler than you" toy at the coffeehouse, doesn't do anything that can't be done cheaper, simpler, and easier, and in six months they'll be an oddity worth commenting on when you see one on the street....

But it's impressive marketing and it'll sell until the fanbois catch on that they're being played.  ;)

Must have

or

Who cares

or

iPass

iSegway.  Over priced, overhyped, cool as all hell, the "10X cooler than you" toy at the coffeehouse, doesn't do anything that can't be done cheaper, simpler, and easier, and in six months they'll be an oddity worth commenting on when you see one on the street....

But it's impressive marketing and it'll sell until the fanbois catch on that they're being played.   ;)

You sure it's just the boys who want it?

Let's face it, no matter what the "verdict" on it is, it will push the industry as Apple usually does, and how is that a Bad Thing?

I just don't know about the iPad - ~$500 is an awful lot of money for what it does.  THIS is the future as I see it...  >:D

Just wait until they add a GPS chip, and then we see geocachers using an iPad for geocaching ... just wait, the day will come!

Just wait until they add a GPS chip, and then we see geocachers using an iPad for geocaching ... just wait, the day will come!

It does have GPS (the Wi-Fi + 3G model), assisted that is.  Which is the same as the iPhone.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Essentially, the iPad is an oversized iPhone without the "phone" part.

What gross waste of technology for capital gain. It's nothing more than a gimmick product.

Isn't all technology pretty much created for capital gain?

The iPad is basically an internet connected laptop computer with the keyboard integrated into the screen.  And it looks pretty slick...

Actually I agree that it's a waste of some cool hardware.

It's more like an appliance than a laptop or netbook.

The device is severely crippled and serves as nothing more than a conduit to big content providers.

Yea... It's slick... in a draconian sheeple kind of way...  :)

I'm with Bob--who cares and iPASS!  If you can't get service anyway WTF?!?!  :crazy2::2funny::o