Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

So, Who Owns the Most Caches?

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I don't get it, but I have 44 active hides in the Houston area, but I'm guessing Clear Lake is now not part of Houston?!?!  >:D

Zephyr

BTW, I don't much care for CE caches and usually avoid them.  Seems like they mostly take you to areas a sane person wouldn't want to be caught in after dark unless you had a deathwish!  :laugh:

Posted · Report post

BTW, I don't much care for CE caches and usually avoid them.  Seems like they mostly take you to areas a sane person wouldn't want to be caught in after dark unless you had a deathwish!  :laugh:

...hence the term...the gray zone.  

Not every area deserves a cache.  Hiders should always try to consider the safety of their finders.   When you find large areas that are devoid of caches, there is usually a reason.  

Posted · Report post

...hence the term...the gray zone.  

Not every area deserves a cache.  Hiders should always try to consider the safety of their finders.   When you find large areas that are devoid of caches, there is usually a reason.  

....that's why doing the "zip code" challenge might be kinda tough on cache placement.....

Posted · Report post

I don't get it, but I have 44 active hides in the Houston area, but I'm guessing Clear Lake is now not part of Houston?!?!  >:D

Zephyr

If your referring to Thot's list of cache hides at the top of this thread, that is a list from April of 2006 (this is an old thread).  How many hides did you have back then?

I enjoy some of CE's hides out in the pineywoods of East Texas.  The guy really has caches spread all over.

Currently, I have 57 total hides, of which 10 are archived and one temporarily disabled.

Posted · Report post

Zephyr

If your referring to Thot's list of cache hides at the top of this thread, that is a list from April of 2006 (this is an old thread).  How many hides did you have back then?

I enjoy some of CE's hides out in the pineywoods of East Texas.  The guy really has caches spread all over.

Currently, I have 57 total hides, of which 10 are archived and one temporarily disabled.

I'd love to see an updated list

Posted · Report post

I'll second that motion...Thot??!!

:)

Zeph

Posted · Report post

I'll second that motion...Thot??!!

:)

Zeph

That usually carries a vote....but...we third that motion anyway!

Posted · Report post

Gosh, I  hadn't noticed this thread for a looooooong time.  I've forgotten how I compiled that list.  I'll think about it.  The only way I can think of right off hand it would have to include disabled and archived caches?

Posted · Report post

Gosh, I  hadn't noticed this thread for a looooooong time.  I've forgotten how I compiled that list.  I'll think about it.  The only way I can think of right off hand it would have to include disabled and archived caches?

It sounds like it did originally....how you compile that may be tough...

Posted · Report post

OK, I've updated this list.  Remember it only includes a zone that goes out 42 miles from downtown Houston.  Also, it has oddities.  Sometimes archived caches are included and sometimes not.  I only update the PQ monthly so if a cache was approved and archived within a month it would never get on the list.  But, that doesn't explain most of the missing caches.  Apparently I made a serious mistake in October last year and ran a cleanup macro on my main Houston file.  Bad move.  This knocked out all the archived caches prior to November.  For example, I have placed a total of 13 caches in the zone and my count is only 9.  One of the four missing caches is under a different name so it isn't in the count.  The remaining three are archived. 

I cut the list off at 5 hides.

PARKERPLUS 106

The Popeteers 57

Pepper 53

GrangerFam 48

OneStepCloser 48

ATMA 47

HoustonControl 47

georeynozos 47

teamCull 46

Bosun 43

Pappy'sPosse 39

Zephyr01 39

Chance Encounter 33

TheShutterbugs 32

zoothornrollo 30

Muddy Buddies 28

Jarihend 28

OHL Hockey Guy 27

hardings 26

Piman314 24

KingwoodGeo 24

KountryKacher 23

Manofsteel73 22

skammer 21

Texas Dreamweaver 21

Sky Rookie 21

txsweetie 20

TeamThung 20

Dreamcachers 19

wowieann 19

sharpbiker 19

The Boonies Crew 19

FamilieRyan 19

Team Troglodyte 18

WTT-B2 18

nitemonster 18

Futurepilot4U720 17

CachedCzechs 16

aggiejwp 16

atmdaisy 16

Love2Fly 14

star_avi8r 14

sonoraqb2006 14

tuba_dude 14

EBandM 13

Copperfield Rose 13

gsguru8306 13

Full House 5 13

GeoWoof 13

KandRS 13

txdagos 13

The Full House 5 13

WillPassU 13

geowyz! 12

Snoogans 12

One of the Texas Vikings 12

The Hazelnuts 12

Texas Tombstone 12

Traveling Gnome 12

davarle 12

maggieb 11

We B Hikin' 11

Glimmermore 11

muleandpooh 11

TennesseeFlyBoy 11

Skyfire and Confusion Crew 11

zzzwoot 10

adopted by The Popeteers 10

whippettx 10

stcymcc 10

CachenDreams 10

JimJoAndCourt 10

TWThompson 10

Thot 9

Spaceman Spiff 9

Teddielynn 9

themelman 9

fivesecrethunters 9

MAES 9

PLUSONE 9

PPRubens 9

Nov64 9

TheSolisPirates 9

Wild Cat Bud 8

Kingwood Pathfinder 8

LostGuys 8

dyfen 8

ozan831 8

TheGreatFinders 8

ixrayu22 8

CamoMaster 8

Beast101 8

cachestacker 8

Billy H. 7

Babslover 7

MedTexPlacer 7

Du's Crew 7

Benttandem 7

SOONER22 7

c's cattery 7

FlyingLead 7

CACHINGFREAK 7

arcolafd 7

gogout 7

fendmar 7

bugshunter 7

The Creatures 3 6

pavlos xorofas 6

drew8 6

The PC's 6

Team Tulip 6

JimmyEv 6

Gracie and Mollie 6

teamPants 6

Fenris Wulf & Marzipan 6

pettyatis 6

TomboyTex 6

Big Steve's Crew 6

Tggr&Pooh 6

motexoutlaw (abopted by Dragonhunter221) 5

cinderloubug 5

Monkey's Uncle 5

mscott722 5

sarge2002 5

scott4960 5

kokopellitoki 5

w0mm 5

sacred6 5

gymjunkie0902 5

boomer3! 5

CachenDreams & Admar on the Lake 5

WB Bear Patrol 5

Posted · Report post

Seems good to me.  O0  I have 67 total hides, 10 archived and 10 that are most likely outside of the 42 mile range.

Posted · Report post

OK, I've updated this list.  Remember it only includes a zone that goes out 42 miles from downtown Houston.  Also, it has oddities.  Sometimes archived caches are included and sometimes not.  I only update the PQ monthly so if a cache was approved and archived within a month it would never get on the list.  But, that doesn't explain most of the missing caches.  Apparently I made a serious mistake in October last year and ran a cleanup macro on my main Houston file.  Bad move.  This knocked out all the archived caches prior to November.  For example, I have placed a total of 13 caches in the zone and my count is only 9.  One of the four missing caches is under a different name so it isn't in the count.  The remaining three are archived. 

I cut the list off at 5 hides.

tuba_dude 14

I actually have hidden 17 total caches but out of the two I think are not include, one is archived and the other is about 2 miles out of Liberty towards Beaumont so it probably out of the 42 mile range. Thanks for the list though Thot.

Posted · Report post

Great work, Thot, and Thank You. 

That list must just pick up active caches primarily as we have 76 and about 20+ archived now and the Popeteers have over 100 but some archived, too...seems to be no perfect way to do it.

Posted · Report post

Great work, Thot, and Thank You. 

That list must just pick up active caches primarily as we have 76 and about 20+ archived now and the Popeteers have over 100 but some archived, too...seems to be no perfect way to do it.

Yes, it looks like that is how it worked basically, I counted and I'm off one on the list as I came up with 40, but I also have a total of 79 (plus 5 on SP accounts out of state) and some of those are archived.

Zephyr

Posted · Report post

Since GC has changed the settings based on a zip code from 100 miles to a 50 mile range, I have bumped my range up to 50 miles from zip code 77002, 77007 and 77030 to catch most of the caches in Houston,  more of NW Houston (more Tomball area), and more of SE Houston (more of Lake Jackson area).

Posted · Report post

I'd be interested in an update on this subject.

Posted · Report post

I'd be interested in an update on this subject.

Well the numbers should be sky high. With several large series out there I expect to see a large amount of caches by a few people. I have 135 active caches and I bet I'm not even in the top 30 in Houston.

Posted · Report post

Bert,

Did a little research on your request -

Although I have placed some 435 caches (of which some approx 200 are still current), I am only 156th in line of the most caches placed in the country. At the 2012 GWS, I meet other people with 800 caches placed, another placed 715 caches and one who placed 1100 caches.

In Texas, I am about seventh in line witlh SANDBASSKING & QUEEN placed some 904 caches placed,

then 9KEY with 819

BIGGUY IN TEXAS with 613

MA & PA with 507

THE PASTOR & PASTOR'S WIFE placed 494

JMCz placed 491

You can look at http://zinnware.com/HighAdv/Geocaching/most_caches_found.php?OrderBy=hides&Ordering=DESC&Limit=3500 and watch the capitalization

Interesting reading.

Neal Parker

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

Looks like I am tied at 1159th place overall, but I can't see how to figure it out by state.

Posted · Report post

Bert,

I went thru the list and picked out the Texas cachers that I know of and the best I got you pegged at is about 22nd place just after NOV64 (156) and ZEKE'S UNCLE (157). You are ahead of MUDFROG and THE POPETEERS

You're on the way to the top

Baytown Bert likes this

Posted · Report post

That also accounts for events. With the events and my 3 new caches I have 161