Getting to Know Your Fellow Cachers: What are you reading? Fiction

113 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Since it's an election year, I'm currently rereading Nineteen Eighty Four. Still relevant (perhaps even more so...)

I watched a bit of the movie between honey-do's and all I can say is... the part with the rat in the cage strapped to his (John Hurt's?) face... Truly shocking and creepy.

Posted · Report post

My first exposre to 1984 was the Orwell inspiried David Bowie song of the same name when Bowie perfomed the 1980 floor show on The Midnight Special

They’ll split your pretty cranium and fill it full of air

and tell you are eighty but brother you won't care.

You'll be shooting up as usual

like tomorrow wasn't there.

Beware the savage jaw of 1984

Posted · Report post

Since it's an election year, I'm currently rereading Nineteen Eighty Four. Still relevant (perhaps even more so...)

I watched a bit of the movie between honey-do's and all I can say is... the part with the rat in the cage strapped to his (John Hurt's?) face... Truly shocking and creepy.

I recorded the movie, then decided to reread the book. Haven't finished the book yet. I'll be sure to watch for the rat.

Posted · Report post

Waking up this old thread with the best book I've read in years, "One Last Thing Before I Go" by Jonathan Tropper. Starts funny, great dialogue and story along the way with a few tears and (spoiler alert) a knockout ending. Still a little teary-eyed, and I'm as sensitive as a toilet seat.

He's written about five other books and I'm looking forward to reading them all, based on this gem. Enjoy!

Posted · Report post

Updating mine - Finally reading the Last book of the Wheel of Time Series - I've got about 200 pages left.  Will Rand Live or not, will Elayne have her babies, Will Perrin get Slayer, will (name a character) survive the final battle, will the pattern fail, ....  but most important will the Dark One be Re-imprisoned, Escape, or be Killed - and will the wheel continue to turn?

After this, I'll be re-reading the series 'A Song of Ice and Fire' better known as the books for the HBO Series "Game of Thrones", it's been a number of years since I read the first four books, and there's a couple more added to the list since then.  The story line and focus of the first season of "Game of thrones" seemed an very large departure from the book, but I'm just wandering if I'm only recalling the items that were most prominent in my mind.

Posted · Report post

I'm doing a little light reading at work, during lunch.  

I'm currently over halfway through "The Grand Design" by Stephen Hawking.  

It's certainly a different way of looking at things, from traditional Newtonian Physics.  

Posted · Report post

I read Stephen kings under the dome a year or so ago. It is an amazing book. A very long read but it is worth the time. One of the better books ive read in a long time.

Posted · Report post

"The Drowning House" by local author Elizabeth Black. The main character returns to her hometown of Galveston and explores the death of a family member during the Great Hurricane of 1900. (Cindy)

"The Mission Song", by John Le Carre (Andy)

Posted · Report post

I recently finished my first book since... Well.. English class in college.

"Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach.

Very interesting, and yet fun book to read. Who knew the University of Tennessee had "body farms" outside the campus studying the decay process? Fun fact, there is a geocache near the body farms... 

Posted · Report post

There are "body farms" in Texas too, but I'm not sure if there are any geocaches near them.

Posted · Report post

I am reading *Cider House Rules*.  It is a pretty good book.  Almost done.

Posted · Report post

I am reading *Cider House Rules*. It is a pretty good book. Almost done.
This almost inspired me to be a surgeon. Almost.

Posted · Report post

Did it Homer Wells?  *Right* 

What book inspired you to be what who you are now?

Posted · Report post

I am reading *Cider House Rules*. It is a pretty good book. Almost done. This almost inspired me to be a surgeon. Almost. Did it Homer Wells? *Right* What book inspired you to be what who you are now?
A motley collection of people rather than a book helped determine my chosen roads. But, I must say John Gierach is my Patron Saint. How about you?

Posted · Report post

Did it Homer Wells? *Right*

What book inspired you to be what who you are now?

A motley collection of people rather than a book helped determine my chosen roads.

But, I must say John Gierach is my Patron Saint

How about you?

Charlie Brown comics.  The most important read every Sunday Morning for me as a kid!!

I like a lot of Ken Follett books as well as Phillipa Gregory.  Nancy Drew entertained me as a kid!!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Street Without Joy by Bernard Fall.....Okay I know it isnt fiction but thats what Im reading :angel:

Edited by Mustard Devil

Posted · Report post

Reading is actually my 2nd greatest hobby, so here goes:

Just finished Stephen Hunters - the Third Bullit, really nice twist on the Kennedy Assassination. Also worthwhile on the same subject: Stephen Kings 11/22/63.

I just love all of the Bob Lee Swagger Series by Stephen Hunter,

and although a bit older, still a good read: Brotherhood of War series by W.E.B. Griffin (9 volumes!) and by the same author: The Corps series (10 volumes) the first about the US Army starting WWII and ending just past the Vietnam war, the second spanning about the same era but covering the U.S.M.C.

Currently reading: Out of my League - Dirk Hayhurst, about a Rookie's survival in MLB.

Posted · Report post

Some things I have read recently that I really enjoyed:

The Poisonwood Bible

The Red Tent

Most recently I read this book "Freedom" by Jonathon Frazen.  I thought the characters were captivating but my best friend read it along with me and thought they were a bunch of whiny babies, so possibly I am not that discerning.

Right now I am reading this book called "The World Without Us" by Alan Weisman.  I think it is not-exactly-fiction-not-exactly nonfiction.  It's a look at evolutionary history of the earth in order to predict what a future would be like in this world if humans were to disappear.  It is the most interesting book I have read in a while.  

Posted · Report post

I read Stephen kings under the dome a year or so ago. It is an amazing book. A very long read but it is worth the time.

OK, Jason, 1074 pages and none of them need coloring. This could take a while.