Getting to Know Your Fellow Cachers: What are you reading? Fiction

113 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm currently reading Cannery Row.  Earlier this summer I realized that I had never read "The Grapes of Wrath" and current U.S. conditions prompted me to read that.  The actual book was also bundled with "The Long Valley" (so I read it too).

Posted · Report post

I'm currently reading Cannery Row.  Earlier this summer I realized that I had never read "The Grapes of Wrath" and current U.S. conditions prompted me to read that.  The actual book was also bundled with "The Long Valley" (so I read it too).

My daughter was supposed to read The Scarlet Letter in English this year, but they have switched to The Grapes of Wrath for the same reason.

Posted · Report post

I spent the day reading  "The Cowboy Gingerbread Man".  After reading it 7 times I may dream "Giddy-up giddy=up!!! ..."  At least 150+ children were entertained and I was able to springboard it into genre discussion. (Not bad for the first Friday of school!)  ;D  :P;D:P

Posted · Report post

I recently enjoyed reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone and Little Bee, by Chris Cleave.  Both books made me appreciate more how difficult life in third world countries is, and how privileged we are here in America.  They also both demonstrate both the strength and the frailty of human relationships.

Posted · Report post

LOL... I read Little Bee in the Spring and Cutting for Stone is my next book... we are like sin twisters!

Posted · Report post

I've just read a few Lee Child novels, and want to read the rest of his Jack Reacher character novels.

Right now, I'm re-reading a funny and irreverant novel, Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal.

That book was hilarious!  While irreverent, please notice that Christ never sins in that book.  It's always Biff. It's been some years since I read that one, but my wife was annoyed with me reading it in bed because I would just burst out laughing and wake her up.

Posted · Report post

I bought The Pillars of the Earth by Follett at our library's used bookstore and have it  on my "to read" pile...glad to hear it is a good read.

--Mrs. Zoot

It's been about 15 years (or more?) since I read the first one.  I may have gotten it as a college graduation gift. The only book to actually bring tears to my eyes.  A truly great book.  I bought the Blu-Ray but haven't watch it yet.  I also haven't had  a chance to pick up the second book, but it is on the list.

Posted · Report post

I just finished the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo trilogy which was way better than I thought it was going to be (I tend to assume that if everyone is reading something then it must be watered down garbage).  Next on my list is William Gibson's latest "Zero History".  I've been a fan of his ever since I read "Neuromancer" in college.

For the historical fiction fans out there, I recommend The Alchemist by Caleb Carr.  The second book Angel of Darkness wasn't as good. but is still a worthwhile read.  While not truly a historical novel, I also enjoyed Quincunx by Charles Palliser.

Posted · Report post

Just finished Creighton's last book Pirate Latitudes.  It was a good read, as was Timeline, which I read recently.  Now to read Contagion, which I just found on our bookshelf... I won't have to see the movie now!

Posted · Report post

After reading James Michener's memoir, The World is My Home, (boy, what a well-traveled life he lived!) I started reading one of his books, Mexico, and am being educated about the art of bullfighting.  With school starting back up, it will probably take me a month to finish it.  BTW, because of geocaching, we found out he is buried in Austin, TX.  ;) (Mrs. ZHR)

Posted · Report post

I recently enjoyed reading Abraham Verghese's Cutting for Stone and Little Bee, by Chris Cleave. Both books made me appreciate more how difficult life in third world countries is, and how privileged we are here in America. They also both demonstrate both the strength and the frailty of human relationships.

Just had to add that I've finished Cutting for Stone and was just amazed how beautiful it was. I've now ordered his memoir, My Own Country, so I can continue the love affair with his writing.

Posted · Report post

Just finished an alternate history book called The Grapple, set in the 1940's by Harry Turtledove, where they were building a prison camp in Humble, TX, because of the easy access to rail lines. Enjoying the series, may be the 7th

or 8th book of his I've read, thanks to Mr. ZHR's library system!

I've been visiting and enjoying public libraries for more than 50 yrs now. I wonder if this will be the last generation for libraries, newspapers, cookbooks, real estate agents, travel agents, book and record stores, AAA, 8 tracks...

Posted · Report post

Just finished an alternate history book called The Grapple, set in the 1940's by Harry Turtledove, where they were building a prison camp in Humble, TX, because of the easy access to rail lines. Enjoying the series, may be the 7th

or 8th book of his I've read, thanks to Mr. ZHR's library system!

I've been visiting and enjoying public libraries for more than 50 yrs now. I wonder if this will be the last generation for libraries, newspapers, cookbooks, real estate agents, travel agents, book and record stores :what???: , AAA, 8 tracks :what???: :what???: :what???: ...

Posted (edited) · Report post

Should I finally spring for a VCR? It is getting harder to find new releases for the Betamax.

And I may have bought the last land line sold by Walmart when the cord broke on the old wall phone.

Edited by bbqbob2

Posted · Report post

Should I finally spring for a VCR? It is getting harder to find new releases for the Betamax.

And I may have bought the last land line sold by Walmart when the cord broke on the old wall phone.

Did the phone have a crank? :2funny:

Posted · Report post

I am finishing up the Felix Castor series of Urban Fantasy, after finishing Dresden and the Iron Druid. Not sure what to read next....

Posted · Report post

Going back and re-reading some series/saga's that I've read in the past. I love the series/saga's but some being spaced out of 5, 10, 15yrs I find it interesting in re-reading the whole series once it's completed at one time in sequence. There's a lot of stuff I forget in between books and over time. Recently I've re-read the Sword of Truth Saga, The Saga of Recluce, The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet), and currently reading the Farseer/Tawny Man Series (two trilogies that are back to back.) Yes, I enjoy Fantasy Saga's.

Posted · Report post

The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet)

What??? was the second part of the three parts of the final book released? Did that plan change to just two parts? Oh, I am so confused!

If Robert Jordon hadn't died in an such an ji way, he would owe us serious toh for leaving it hanging so.

Foot Note: OMG, Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010! How could I have missed that (must have been geo-caching!)?!? Brandon Sanderson, I have great toh to you for such a lapse of awareness.

On a more conventional note... my youngest is reading the narnia series which I read to them as younglings and I read as a kid and my parents read to me as a youngling.

Posted · Report post

The wheel of time series (yes, the final book hasn't been released yet)

What??? was the second part of the three parts of the final book released? Did that plan change to just two parts? Oh, I am so confused!

If Robert Jordon hadn't died in an such an ji way, he would owe us serious toh for leaving it hanging so.

Foot Note: OMG, Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010! How could I have missed that (must have been geo-caching!)?!? Brandon Sanderson, I have great toh to you for such a lapse of awareness.

On a more conventional note... my youngest is reading the narnia series which I read to them as younglings and I read as a kid and my parents read to me as a youngling.

Yes, as you've footnoted Tower of Midnight came out at the end of 2010 and I bought it when it came out and started re-reading the series, because at the time, book 3 of the final book(s) was scheduled for fall 2011. I think right now it's scheduled for fall 2012. Which I guess means it will come out around 2015 and I have to re-read the whole series again.

For those of you who don't know the Wheel of time is a series of now 15 books (well 14 released, 1 unreleased and a couple more side novels to boot), that average in the neighborhood of 800 pages each. And I'm a slow reader who reads about 1-2hrs / night so it takes me a long time to get through the series.

The funny thing is, I bought the first book probably around 15yrs ago. I started to read it 3 different times and kept putting it down because it seemed too wordy too me and the names used Tamlin, Matrim, ... where just annoying IMO, but I knew the series was very popular (I think book 6 was out when I started) so I forced myself to get past the first 100 pages or so, and started enjoying it more (when they left the two rivers.)

Posted · Report post

I read Dilbert almost every day.

Why am I not surprised? LOL!! :2funny:

Posted · Report post

Since it's an election year, I'm currently rereading Nineteen Eighty Four. Still relevant (perhaps even more so...)