Is a newbie rant permitted?? - Caches IN Poison Ivy?

49 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I have no idea what PI looks like, and I'm totally crap at identifying plants and things unless they're edible... I depend on my brother (the boyscout) to tell me. According to him I am often standing/laying/sitting in it without knowing, so evidently I'm not sensitive to it. If I ever place a cache in the middle of a patch of pretty plants (PI) I'm sorry. :(

Posted · Report post

I once placed a cache in PI and didn't realize it. A cacher pointed it out and I moved it. PI isn't always easy to identify - especially when it is a young plant. I doubt if someone purposely placed it in the middle of PI. 

Posted · Report post

Maybe we should all take a bottle of Roundup with us and spray the stuff when we find it. After numerous applications it should die out next to the caches we visit most often.

Roundup wouldn't do the job anyway.  PI grows from the roots.  Roundup only really kills the tops and generally doesn't do anything for the roots. 

We have been caching for 2 years now and Random still doesn't recognize the stuff most of the time.  The girls are constantly reminding him what it looks like.

Posted · Report post

If its got three leaves and is green, I try to stay out of it.  If a vine is fuzzy, I try not to touch it.  This seems to work pretty good.

Posted · Report post

I would want someone to tell us if one of our caches was in PI.  We would never put it there on purpose (at least 2 of us are VERY allergic) but sometimes in the winter it can be overlooked.  I would just put it in the log and let the owner know.

Posted · Report post

Don't worry about it.  I find many caches in PI.  Some I can get to safely and some I pass on.  I'll mention it in my log  but whether or not the owner moves it is up to them. 

Many many many people have no idea what it looks like.  Where I work, we receive multiple complaints about PI every summer.  From time to time it's a new batch that just showed up and wasn't seen yet.  We take care of those.  But 99.9 percent of the time it's Virginia creeper, trumpet vine or some other plant.  People will stand there and argue that it is PI when it's not.  Then there are those that don't know what it looks like and so don't ever see it anywhere.  I am convinced that the majority of people cannot identify PI. 

Also, it often shows up after the cache is placed and it grows quickly.   The bottom line is to use caution when caching if you're allergic or cache with someone that's not so they can make the grab.  I find that using handy wipes works great for cleaning the oils off after exposure.   

PI is so abundant in east texas that I don't see any way to cache and also avoid it.  So I will mention it as part of the adventure in getting the cache and if it's so bad that I have to pass on the cache I'll say so and why.

Posted · Report post

I think that posting a needs maintenance for something that is in or near PI may be a little overboard.  It doesn't hurt to mention it in the logs though as a warning to those that are sensitive that may want to avoid it.  We did a cache that had Posion Ivy in the name with a small group of us and there were warnings all over the cache page about having to walk through a lot of it to get there.  We were a bit hesitant about doing it, but we tried to take precautions.  First, we were all wearing long pants and washed those pants as soon as we got home.  I also made the grab instead of Mr. Muddy Buddy and the others in the group since I was the only one that appears to be not sensitive to it currently (although that can change).  I also made sure and used wipes to wipe off the oils for just in case when I got back to the car. 

Not only do we look for the leaves of 3 that have the "one thumb on the outer 2 leaves and the 2 thumbs on the inner leaf", we also look for the hairy vines in the winter.  Not all hairy vines are poison ivy, but if you are unsure, why take the chance of messing with the vines?  It's best not to try to wedge caches in hairy vines. 

I do have a cache that when it was put out, there was no sign of PI, but it has been mentioned on some of the logs since.  However, the last person that mentioned it mentioned what I have also found, which is that it can be avoided when grabbing the cache, so we've chosen to leave it alone for now because there really are no close places to move the cache.  The only other alternative is to archive it and we'll just monitor it and see if the poison ivy becomes more of a problem.  If it does, we may have to archive it. 

Posted · Report post

Don't archive it.... up the terrain rating & mention it in the cache description.  >:D >:D

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure I understand the PI hoopla.  You can take precautions and largely avoid the potential hazards.  Besides i never hear anyone griping about cactus and green briar and I have found plenty of both on the caching trail.  It's pretty normal in west texas to find caches in or under a cactus.  That's why I now carry welding gloves with me when i cache.

Posted · Report post

If its got three leaves and is green, I try to stay out of it.  If a vine is fuzzy, I try not to touch it.  This seems to work pretty good.

While out caching at GBP earlier this week I was laying my hand on every tree to balance myself while going over rough terrain.  When I would look at the tree, the furry vines would be wrapped around the tree.  I thought, oh great! Fendmar, who is highly sensative to the stuff pointed out tiny saplings of PI, preparing to grow.  I think there is no way you can get away from it no matter where you go.  

Fendmar actually had a spray bottle of alcohal to spray on our hands after we searched the wooded areas.  I guess it would be similar to hand wipes to, but it is a good way to wipe your hands of the PI that may have been accidently handled when out caching.  Also there is a PI lotion that Kirbydox introduced me to which you can apply to your hands and arms before caching in the woods.  It is a bit pricey but if you are highly sensitive, may be worth the investment.  I think it is from the makers of Off and it is called "Poison Ivy Defense", defense from the plant, not the evil villian HC was talking about earlier!!  :)

Posted · Report post

This is how I cache in GBP...  True, it's a little tough in the Summer months...

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

This is how I cache in GBP...  True, it's a little tough in the Summer months...

:2funny: :2funny:

Are they sturdy against "ferrel pig" attacks and snake bites?  I think I saw one on ebay, starting bid 0.99.

Posted · Report post

I've been doing that for years.  Here's a picture of me at the Down in the Boonies event in 2006...

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

The Level A is so comfortable, and you can bring your own air.

I'm trying to be more stealthy, looking for one in camo.

Posted · Report post

Many times the PI is wrapped around a tree and dormant when the initiall cache was placed.  Once I commented on the possible PI by the cache and my findw as deleted.  Since I am currently not allergic to it I have no worried too much about it but I also do no rolled around in it either. ;D

Posted · Report post

I've been doing that for years.  Here's a picture of me at the Down in the Boonies event in 2006...

Yall are so funny!  :2funny: :2funny:  Were you the guy who kept falling down because your hazmat head gear kept hitting low branches???  :2funny: :2funny:

Posted · Report post

I could really use one of those hazmat suits!

Poison Ivy can be hard to avoid in GBP. Surprisingly, Memorial Park is not nearly as infested. I do all I can to spot PI and steer clear of it as much as possible (The only thing I look harder for is snakes!). OCD will make you do things against your better judgement when seeking out a cache. So the times I'm compelled to pass through it I will clean up as much as I can as soon as possible afterwards. I have been using handcleaner (ie GoJo) lately to clean up and haven't had a bad case in a while, but the PI is just now actively starting to grow so my opinion on that may change real soon!

Posted · Report post

Isn't that an a/c unit in the backpack?  :D

Posted · Report post

It's usually for an airpak or a 1/4 keg.

if you buy the 1/4 keg attachment, I hope you also spring for the easy release, self-cleaning external resevoir. ;)

Posted · Report post

It's like Vegas, baby -what happens in the suit stays in the suit.

Posted · Report post

Thanks for all the input on this delicate subject!  I guess the best thing to do is to be careful!  I'll also just make a polite note in the log if I spot the cache buried in the stuff!!

BTW, I finished the 'Smiley' yesterday and the north side of GBP seemed to have MUCH less PI than the south side.  I'm not exactly sure why though.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

It's like Vegas, baby -what happens in the suit stays in the suit.

I think things that you leave in the suit need oxygen to survive as well.  Lets just hope that you come out of the suit alive or you may be buried in it with all the other "stuff"!!

Posted · Report post

Here's a picture taken of a field of pi that completely surrounds a cache.

3399391672_816a8c056a.jpg?v=0