Best TB resurrection story

153 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I thought I dropped one off in a cache in Virginia on 9/29/08, but it went missing.  Fast forward to 8/06/13, and a cacher found it at a Garage Sale in Illinois.

Posted · Report post

One of mine (that is really my daughter's), just made an appearance after three years in silence:

19.png 09/02/2013 jthockey23 grabbed it   Visit Log
Picked this up from a geo buddy that has been away from the area for a bit. will move this along today.
4.png 06/28/2011 tonkavette & Lovebug posted a note for it   Visit Log
The last cacher who said he took your geocoin only marked it as "discovered". Maybe he needs a little nudge. It is definitly not in the cache.
48.png 07/04/2010 EBlack1981 discovered it   Visit Log
Picked it up from Doxie Moxie (GC298AG) in the Wetlands of Ellison park in the suburbs of Rochester Ny. Will move it a long and log it once I drop it.
14.png 07/01/2010 gmansan placed it in Doxie Moxie New York - 1,252.7 miles  Visit Log

Posted · Report post

My Blue Switch Geocoin finally started moving again after 3+ years.  Emails to the holder went unanswered, but at least he didn't lose the coin.  Well, that's assuming he really did drop the coin in the cache it shows to be in...

Posted · Report post

I think Blindzman who found a cache yesterday for the first time since 9/2008 with 4 geocoins in it probably will get some good emails from those owners.

The cache you linked to was archived in 2011.  Could it have been a different cachee?

Posted · Report post

Archived in 08 but maintenance done by CO.  His note on FB

I went to another archived cache today and found it along with and unactivated dog tag and 4 geocoin's. I am sending an email to the owner of the coins to see what he wants me to do with them.
http://coord.info/GC1G373

Posted · Report post

Last found in '08, maintenance done in '09, archived in '11.

Yea, and supposedly found in 2014? interesting development, I would've thought that when you archive a cache you also remove all physical evidence.

Posted · Report post

One of my HGCS People geocoins was retrieved yesterday from the event it was dropped into in December of 2012.  Seriously?  14 months to log a trackable as retrieved from an event?

If you don't know how trackables work, keep your mitts off of them!  :knuppel2:

KeyResults likes this

Posted · Report post

One of my HGCS People geocoins was retrieved yesterday from the event it was dropped into in December of 2012.  Seriously?  14 months to log a trackable as retrieved from an event?

Same thing happened to a few of my TB's at a Park and Gab.

Posted · Report post

Same thing happened to a few of my TB's at a Park and Gab.

I'm hoping that will happen with my TB that Brent dropped in the Texas Challenge last year, but it's still MIA

Posted · Report post

Perhaps the person didn't get it from the event that it was logged in but actually got it from one of the many TB hoarders that carry around a lot of TBs at events to trade that had forgotten to log a TB and they gave it to someone who was actually doing what they were supposed to and logged it out of the event that it had been logged in for quite some time.   You can't always plan the person that is finally logging the TB.  Sometimes it just looks like they were at fault and they are just catching the TB/geocoin up when they finally get it. 

Posted · Report post

Perhaps the person didn't get it from the event that it was logged in but actually got it from one of the many TB hoarders that carry around a lot of TBs at events to trade that had forgotten to log a TB and they gave it to someone who was actually doing what they were supposed to and logged it out of the event that it had been logged in for quite some time.   You can't always plan the person that is finally logging the TB.  Sometimes it just looks like they were at fault and they are just catching the TB/geocoin up when they finally get it. 

Good point.  My comment still applies, but just not necessarily to the current holder of the coin.  I never really understood the concept of carrying around a trove of other people's stuff to "trade" at events.  "I'll give you one of these things (that don't belong to me), but only if you give me one in return".  :crazy2:

TexasWriter and green-eyed like this

Posted · Report post

One of my first trackables, Bonsly Travel Bug, just resurfaced after 4 years!    :cheers:  Some newbie in France picked it up and must have forgotten about it. Today I received this log:  "Retrouve! Je le cache tres vite!"    Translation: "Found! I hide it very quickly!"   

Let's hope so.  

Posted · Report post

My FIRST trackable was last placed in a cache in Arkansas on 8/6/2011.  The cache was called IT'S GOING, GOING, GOING, IT'S GONE!!!1!!.  Which was apparently bulldozed, CO missing, and finally archived by PR.  So it's gone, gone, went.  

Then someone logs that cache it as found - I think trying to free the TB.  Then they log the TB.  They have 1 find - which I think it the erroneous log on the archived cache.  

They are in Alaska with it and said they're putting it in a 'new' cache soon.  Hopefully not a noob putting in a newly placed cache with no finds.  ugh.

In any event, nearly 3 years later, my first TB is/may be back in action. Hopefully this new cacher will get it in a real cache so it can start moving again soon, regardless of how dubious it all seems.

Posted · Report post

Yes, a cacher who will not be named brought it sheepishly to the event and said his wife had it in a drawer for several years and he just found out, so he passed it on to Team Cull who was trading TBs, so maybe now it will move again.  I'm Team Cull's witness that he wasn't the one that had it for all of these years.   LOL.

Here's one that showed up after a 3 year hiatus.

Georeynozos Karma Geocoin #2 - Pink

Posted · Report post

I found a TB today that has been missing for five years.  It left Arizona, got moved to Houston, was held briefly by Zephyr01 and then sunshot99, who "passed it over to another Scout Troop from San Antonio to take to a Ball game at Enchanted Rock Park. icon_smile.gif"

I found it in a cache at Inks Lake State Park - no idea how and where it has been but it is back in play now!  That's fun!

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow!  

After 2.5 years a cacher noticed one of my TBs that was marked missing was still listed in an archived cache that he thought might actually still be there.  And it was!   I wish I could give the cacher a favorite point!

Back to Bern 300 (TB32VH3) has a new log:

Logged by: andGuest

I happened to come along the page for the archived cache this TB was located in when looking at a cache page for a nearby cache that mentioned the archived cache. I brought up the the archived cache page and saw that it looked like the cache was likely still there and the last finder dropped this travel bug. Decided to test my theory since I was walking by the cache today while going to the other cache. So since I am logging this TB it was obviously still there. So I will hopefully get it into a cache soon and get it back on its travels.

Edited by TravelingGeek

Posted · Report post

So which is best to do when your TB or geocoin is logged as not in a cache?  Mark it as missing, or leave it in the cache?

Posted · Report post

I give it a little while before I mark it as missing.  Not that it matters, I guess.  I got an email today that one of my bugs was not in the cache it says it's in, but it was only dropped in there in December.  I'm hoping whoever took it will finally log it, so I haven't marked it as missing yet.

Posted · Report post

I've marked a couple as missing in the past after getting multiple reports by finders that they were no longer in the cache as stated online. After letting that "sit" the way it was for some time, I came across a post somewhere that has someone change the TB name to "STOLEN", after which it suddenly returned to circulation again.

I tried that too, but unfortunately without success.

Because I think the coins that went missing we're too cool not to have out there, I just created laminated 'proxies' and set those free.

Who knows, maybe the real thing will turn up again somewhere, someday, but I'm not holding my breath.

Posted · Report post

I came across a post somewhere that has someone change the TB name to "STOLEN", after which it suddenly returned to circulation again.

I think I'm going to use that tactic.  It may not help, but it will make me feel better...

Dhaulaghiri and TravelingGeek like this

Posted · Report post

I came across a post somewhere that has someone change the TB name to "STOLEN", after which it suddenly returned to circulation again.

I think I'm going to use that tactic.  It may not help, but it will make me feel better...

Yup, exactly the reason I did it too.

None turned up back in circulation however...