Best TB resurrection story

153 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

She's mailing it to me.  I told her about how the coins travel around and you can track them and watch them move and she said, "Oh, like Where's George?".  :)

Posted · Report post

"Oh, like Where's George?".  :)

O0

Posted · Report post

Got my coin in the mail today!  Now, should I send it back out, or release a proxy?  ::)

Posted · Report post

Booooo to proxies.  I would either send it out or just keep it  :)

Posted · Report post

I want to see one of the gxproxy.com proxy coins in person.  I think people might like that a lot better than what's normally out there.

Posted · Report post

I don't care for proxies.  I like to see the coin.  I either send out a coin or keep it.  I move coins that I find, I don't mess with proxies.

Posted · Report post

I really don't care for proxies either.  I think I'll re-release this one, but I'm going to mark it better to indicate to newbies (or muggles) that it's a trackable item and not just typical swag.  As it is now, it's just in it's plastic sleeve along with the Geocoin club card.

Posted · Report post

Got my coin in the mail today!  Now, should I send it back out, or release a proxy?  ::)

Maybe you could put it on Ebay ::)

Posted · Report post

Another great TB resurrection story -

A few years ago we launched our Series of Unfortunate Caches with TBs Violet, Klaus and Sunny along to share in the adventure. Criffree picked up Klaus, put him in his Cinco Ranch Songs Series Bonus TB Hotel to start him on his journey. True to his backstory, within a few months the cache was muggled, with Klaus still in it, gone from the GC world forever.

Or so we thought. Today I got a notification from GC.com that a local cacher named ZeRiddler had picked Klaus up from Random Post (GC2HN5P), not far from where he originally disappeared. I don't know how he got there and I don't care. Klaus is back in the game!!!

Now I just have to pay criff back for the 7 or 8 TBs and GCs he has guiltily slipped me through the years...

Oh, and thanks ZeRiddler!

Posted · Report post

That's really cool!  It's interesting to note that on May 15th, kianlo reported that there were no TBs in the cache. The very next log is the cacher who has logged the TB. There must be someone out there that caches and doesn't log...which probably explains why the TB wasn't logged either...

Posted · Report post

That's really cool!  It's interesting to note that on May 15th, kianlo reported that there were no TBs in the cache. The very next log is the cacher who has logged the TB. There must be someone out there that caches and doesn't log...which probably explains why the TB wasn't logged either...

I've been thinking on similar lines. Someone who took it originally, before the cache was muggled, then forgot about it or dropped out of the game for awhile, then rediscovered both the TB and caching. I'm just happy Klaus is back!

Posted · Report post

There are lots  of cachers out there that cache but don't log.  Heck, some of them even get FTFs.  We were 2TF on The Schwa was here and FTF never logged it.  TravelingGeek caches with his sons and I think they don't (or rarely) log.  Ramblinrus, who hides amazingly cammoed caches, rarely finds and doesn't log (I think).

As for the cache in question, it's possible I ..... ahem, "missed" the coin.  Although, if I noted there were no TBs, it's likely I thought there should be and there were none there.  In any case, it's cool that the coin came back.

Posted · Report post

My wife and I have a cache in Huntsville that is a hidden matchstick container.  I was greatly surprised when someone posted that they had left a travel bug, so I checked.  No bug.  So I emailed them, and they told me that another geocacher was there at the time, and that they had given them (the other geocacher) a travel bug.  The second geocacher never logged the find, and has never logged the travel bug.

I also wonder if it is possible for someone to invisibly log finds--somehow their find stats go up, but there isn't a record in geocaching.com of the increasing number of finds. ???

Posted · Report post

Sometimes it takes people a little while to log finds. Sometimes people don't log their finds. Sometimes people move TBs without logging them.

Crazy. I know.

Posted · Report post

There are lots  of cachers out there that cache but don't log.  Heck, some of them even get FTFs.  We were 2TF on The Schwa was here and FTF never logged it.  TravelingGeek caches with his sons and I think they don't (or rarely) log.  Ramblinrus, who hides amazingly cammoed caches, rarely finds and doesn't log (I think).

As for the cache in question, it's possible I ..... ahem, "missed" the coin.  Although, if I noted there were no TBs, it's likely I thought there should be and there were none there.  In any case, it's cool that the coin came back.

It is a TB tag attached to a pair of Harry Potter glasses. You would not have missed them.

It is the specifics of this case that astound me. The TB was placed Nov. '08 in a cache that was not logged again until Feb. '09, and then only to be reported muggled. The TB was thought to be lost during that time period.

Jump forward 2 1/2 years and it turns up in a cache just a couple of miles from the first, but one that did not exist 2 1/2 years earlier. If fact not only did the cache not exist, but the person who placed it had not started caching yet. Nor had Kianlo who was the last to visit the cache before it turned up and had reported no TBs. Nor had the cacher who found it and started the TB back in motion.

It really did just reappeared out of nowhere.

Posted · Report post

For the travel bug that never showed up (a direct hand-off to another geocacher) it was back in April.  I had the name of the cacher who was receiving the travel bug, but when I checked geocaching.com, that name wasn't listed.

Posted · Report post

I had a TB sitting with a guy since July, 2009 after only a few hops.  I e-mailed him a couple of weeks ago and he apologized - he forgot.  He dipped it in a Vermont cache, where it has been or 2 years, and uploaded a bunch of photos of it at Vermont Teddy Bear, Ben & Jerry's, maple syrup factor, etc. etc. a week or so ago, and today he dropped it in a cache in Oklahoma.  Yea.  Maybe it can move again!

Posted · Report post

Last drop was by CO in his own cache on 8/1/2008.

Today I got this log -- nearly 3 years later:

Cachestacker's 2008 Evil Micro Geocoin is found!! Its last location Travel Bug Bed & Breakfast had construction going on in the area. While checking on the cache location, saw a gleam coming from a crevice between 2 large boulders near the cache location & decided to investigate. Found a few travel bugs which had been missing from the cache. Suspect that a previous cacher set the bugs on one of the boulders & they fell off. Thankful that the sun was angled just right to reflect off a travel bug tag. Cleaned mud off Cachestacker's 2008 Evil Micro Geocoin & will place it in a different cache to get it moving.

Yea!

Posted · Report post

That is great news. I just love happy endings!

Posted · Report post

That's so cool that it got there.  I'm happy for you HC!