Sign in to follow this  
Mr. KandRS

First Houston Wherigo

georeyna    108

I'm not sure they've devoted that many resources to it, but then what do I know.  Like I said, Wherigo is it's own website, with cartridges (created by individuals) that you can download and play just about anywhere.  They don't all have caches at the end.  As a matter of fact, originally it was just going to be another separate GPS activity for folks to do, but cachers kept clamoring for it to be tied into Geocaching somehow, so they bowed to pressure and created the Wherigo cache type. 

To me Wherigo's are no different than a 5/5 on a island in a lake.  It requires equipment that a lot of people don't have (a boat), so they can either borrow the equipment, go with someone else who has one, or just ignore the cache.

I agree with HC with his above comment.  I can do a Whereigo cache but I can't go do a cache that has been placed in the middle of the lake because I do not have a boat.  I will miss out on that cache until I get a boat or just choose to ignore it.

Plus, there are only 8 whereigo caches in all of the U.S.  Right now it is in its infancy, just like geocaching was waaaayyyy back when.  If you wanted to play the game, you had to have a gps.  So you went out and bought one and look how the hobby has grown.  I think overtime, more programmers will get involved and help whereigo out by placing their own programs to execute whereigo in different devices.  Similar steps were taken when someone invented gsak and cachemate. 

Geocaching is still the game for everyone and still is.  I hope whereigo does evolve, rather than stop.  We will see.

As much as we take potshots at Groundspeak and its Wherigo boondoggle, it is still in BETA.  As Stan said, they could have found better use of resources and fixed several problems....first, though, to shore up their server problems they killed virtuals, webcams, and locationless caching. 

You have to admit it looks bad when they dump money into Waymarking and it isn't a success.  :notme:

Now they're dumping money into Wherigo and it still isn't out of BETA..and the real question is:  Why?  ???

They haven't exactly been forthright with their time table and methodology unless it's there and we can't see it (which is possible but we do frequent the Evil Main GC boards to lurk...)  :pcr:

The idea that Garmin pumped money into it and it dried up would make some sense, too.  :notme:

The concept of special equipment in comparing Wherigo to a 5/5 is an interesting one that we hadn't thought of before..not sure if we totally agree 100% but the argument is convincing. 

Not sure about the comparison of GSAK and Cachemate since it doesn't seem like Groundspeak is opposed to folks using supplementary programs to help out with a PQ, versus anything that comes out now for Wherigo would probably have to get its claws into their programming and not sure that's gonna happen...nevertheless a valid point about the evolution of programs.

The bottom line, though, is KandRS published the first Houston Wherigo and that is definitely something cool to have bragging rights on!  O0

We'll keep sitting on the fence to participate because there's no way in a Hot Place we're going to invest in a new GPSr or Windows-based mobile device to satisfy a BETA program right now.  Though, the thought of being able to really go wild with some Wherigo hides is intriguing...

OHail    13

So far, all the Wherigo caches I have found have taken me to some very interesting places.  For me, they fit in the same category as virtuals and earthcaches as I can be pretty certain I will learn something by doing them.

A group of us met someone who owns a Colorado for my first Wherigo find.  Then my eight year old GPS12Map died.  I bit the bullet and replaced it with a Colorado.  Since then, I have taken people with me on the other two Wherigo caches I have done. 

I think as the prices of the Colorado and Oregon come down (or some use their Marriott points for one) you may see more of them. The owners of the Wherigo caches I have done have said it is time consuming to develop the cartridge and took a lot of work, especially on their first ones.  Some folks are not going to want to put that must time in to it.

As I said earlier, I'm looking forward to trying this one when I am in Houston next (tentatively in March or April).  I'll post when my brother and I will be going for it in case anyone who doesn't have it by then would like to go with us.

Mr. KandRS    0

I looked at it as a chance to do something new to try it out.  There are only 8 in Texas, though there are more elsewhere.  I plan on probably doing another one that can be played in the emulator.  This would let anyone get the cache by doing it on their main computer. 

As far as being able to play it, if you have a device with a GPS and Java you may want to try the OpenWIG program Houston Control mentioned.  I use it on my Samsung Blackjack and it works great. 

I do like HC's comparison to a 5/5 water cache.  I have no way of getting to one of those without special equipment, so its pretty similar.

Mr Muddy Buddy    223

Don't get me wrong, but I applaud KandRS for getting that first Houston area WhereIGo cache published.

I would like to try it one day, but don't have the proper equipment for the cache.

Maybe if someone had an event in Clear Lake Park, and we all just happened to go get the new cache while we were there....

For the WhereIGo caches, do they have to follow the same 528' rule as regular caches?

I looked at it as a chance to do something new to try it out.  There are only 8 in Texas, though there are more elsewhere.  I plan on probably doing another one that can be played in the emulator.  This would let anyone get the cache by doing it on their main computer. 

As far as being able to play it, if you have a device with a GPS and Java you may want to try the OpenWIG program Houston Control mentioned.  I use it on my Samsung Blackjack and it works great. 

I do like HC's comparison to a 5/5 water cache.  I have no way of getting to one of those without special equipment, so its pretty similar.

ggmorton    4

For the WhereIGo caches, do they have to follow the same 528' rule as regular caches?

I'm working on my Wherigo cache lately. I think only the physical containers have to follow the 528 rule. Similar to a multi with some virtual redirects.

The Wherigo creator program crashes a lot on my PC. Maybe I need to reinstall it again.

I see this from the Wherigo guidelines:

Cache saturation applies only to physical containers, and not virtual elements. Standard geocaching guidelines apply.

Mr. KandRS    0

The creator program isn't great.  Its not intuitive or stable.  I think that is one of the biggest things going against this whole thing.  If they can fix that I think they'll get a lot more people willing to spend the time on it.  Essentially it ends up being like a puzzle multi.

HoustonControl    1,044

The creator program isn't great.  Its not intuitive or stable.  I think that is one of the biggest things going against this whole thing.  If they can fix that I think they'll get a lot more people willing to spend the time on it.  Essentially it ends up being like a puzzle multi.

Like any other computer endevour, it pays to save often, and under incremental file names.  I've sometimes spent a couple of hours working on the thing, only to have it glitch out to an unplayable file after I saved the latest version.  I'm not sure what I did wrong, but it won't even open in the builder and I have to go back to an earlier version and begin again. 

:veryangry:

ggmorton    4

The Wherigo creator program crashes a lot on my PC. Maybe I need to reinstall it again.

I fixed my wherigo creator program issue last night. I used Windows XP, and it wouldn't let me save a file without a crash. I read on the wherigo forum to install the Visual C++ runtime library and that fixed my problem. Now I can get back to actually coding my cartridge.

georeyna    108

To the creators of future whereigo caches, Kandrs, ggmortan and HC, will you be attaching your whereigo cartridges to geocaches or will you just be creating caches for virtual use on the website only? 

ggmorton    4

I have planned to do at least one wherigo geocache. If that works out I may do more. I will have to evaluate how much work I have to put into it, and see the response I get before I do another one.

HoustonControl    1,044

To the creators of future whereigo caches, Kandrs, ggmortan and HC, will you be attaching your whereigo cartridges to geocaches or will you just be creating caches for virtual use on the website only? 

They'll have to improve the builder (or I'll need to take a few night classes on LUA programming) before I'll make many more of these.

Mr. KandRS    0

I will likely make one more that is also a geocache.  It will probably be one you can play anywhere, including the emulator and then go get the cache.  Not sure when that will happen though.

Well, conceptually, if they can get Wherigo to work and open it up to all platforms it could just be the Thing that does replace virtuals and locationless...but that's a big IF... so perhaps we'll see if they get it Right after BETA

Great Birds    33

Well, conceptually, if they can get Wherigo to work....

One would have thought that it would work when it was released.  At least more or less work.

georeyna    108

Whereigo...stupidest idea ever.....

So is the Obama's Stimulus Packet, but hey, we are stuck with it.  Lets just give it a chance and see how it works out -- eh?

Whereigo...stupidest idea ever.....

So is the Obama's Stimulus Packet, but hey, we are stuck with it.  Lets just give it a chance and see how it works out -- eh?

We haven't gotten stuck with it quite yet so there is still hope...  :2funny:

georeyna    108

The stimulus packet includes a "COLORADO" for everyone at BMW prices.  That should gobble up the stimulus packet alot, probably the whole thing and the GARMIN CEO will be partying it up at the Mariott in Kanapali, Maui, Hawaii!! >:D

The stimulus packet includes a "COLORADO" for everyone at BMW prices.  That should gobble up the stimulus packet alot, probably the whole thing and the GARMIN CEO will be partying it up at the Mariott in Kanapali, Maui, Hawaii!! >:D

huh..........uh.............what if we want an Oregon instead?  Are we SOL?

Mrs. ATMA    0

Hey beggers can't be choosey!  :D

georeyna    108

Hey beggers can't be choosey!  :D

Well they have boxxes and boxxes of Colorados in storage next to the mobile homes for the Katrina and Ike victims.  Hey, maybe we will find them at at mega government surplus sale on ebay oneday!!  :)