Sign in to follow this  
Mr. KandRS

First Houston Wherigo

I just posted the first Houston area Wherigo cache.  Hopefully it will all work correctly.  Now other people need to post one so I can get my smiley.

GC1MDAP  Not too many contenders for FTF.  Its in a park, so no night finds.

My Whereigo predates yours - GC1D7X1.  Does it actually have to be published to count?  :D :D

If I can find time in the next couple of days, I'll go check yours out -- maybe get an FTF.

I may try to find it this weekend.  I would love to see how this works.  I have to dust off the colorado, load it and off I go.  Very cool, thanks for placing one!!

I think the name "Larry" is great for the little brat!  ;):)

I have to dust off the colorado, load it and off I go. 

So does this mean you haven't been using it?  Does this mean you prefer the 60 instead?  Just curious.  :)

Well, I now have a new icon!!!  :D :D

Thanks for the hide.

I had wanted to get there around 7 am when the park opened, but I didn't get there until just before 8.

I have to dust off the colorado, load it and off I go. 

So does this mean you haven't been using it?  Does this mean you prefer the 60 instead?  Just curious.  :)

Ok, I do not know which one of you (Alan or Betsy) are asking me the question, but yes, I very much enjoy my 60 instead!!  :) 

"Two points for OSC" !!  Shooop!  In the basket!!  :2funny::)

Hey I took Phantom Cacher and Kirbydox to your tribute cache.  They really liked it.  It is a must for everyone!!

I've never gotten to use a Colorado.  I'd like to check one out, not that I'm going to buy one.  I can use the OpenWig program on my Blackjack, so that's how I get by for Wherigo.  And the programming is easy compared to my normal work.

My brother and I will have to go look for it when I get back to Houston in a few months.  Will be nice to help him get his first Wherigo and one in another state for me.  Thanks.

Whine.  I just saw this.  This is cool.  But for the technologically impaired, what's the best 'thing' to get to allow us to do a whereigo and possibly benefit us in other ways for regular ol' caching?  Something that does not cost a fortune?

And as for costing a fortune, georeynozos, just curious what you find better from your 60 vs. the Colorado?  Or is it just familiarity and overall difference in usage instead of the functionality?

Whine.  I just saw this.  This is cool.  But for the technologically impaired, what's the best 'thing' to get to allow us to do a whereigo and possibly benefit us in other ways for regular ol' caching?  Something that does not cost a fortune?

And as for costing a fortune, georeynozos, just curious what you find better from your 60 vs. the Colorado?   Or is it just familiarity and overall difference in usage instead of the functionality?

I'll let Georeynozos answer with more detail, but one of the things that she's mentioned is that the screen on the Colorado is very hard to read, especially in sunlight.  The 60series doesn't have that problem.

Well I just completed the Whereigo cache by KandRS.  I spent a few hours yesterday trying to figure out how to download the cartridge to my colorado.  Called HC and he gave me an idea, but I called KanDRS and he really, really explained things and made it more clear.  So I downloaded the cartridge and off I went to get the cache the next day.

With the Colorado, I went to each "area" as requested by KandRS and it worked like a charm.  No hangup or slowdown.  Once you get to the final destination, it is time to start looking for the cache.  No problems except, Little Larry was being "Little Larry"  >:D !!

If you have the Nuvii 500, I belevie you can use it to do the Whereigo games.  They listed PocketPC, Colorado, Oregon and Nuvii 500 as devices which can play the game.  I liked it and had fun and would like to try another one.  Get moving KandRS and HC!!  :D  Thanks for all the hard work KandRS.  Beleive it or not, I just went to Clear Lake to do this cache -- and another.  I was hoping to find more, but it was only me doing the hoping!!  :D :D

As far as the Colorado Garmin, yes it is hard for me to see the screen, but it has all the streets and descriptions downloaded.  I have to figure a way to brighten the screen so I can read it.  But it works like a charm to find caches.  As you can see, if you have a Pocket PC, you can use the cartridge, but you may want to visit WhereIGo.com and it will explain all the devices that will execute the cartridge.

Elisa

Caveat -- The PocketPC has to be GPS enabled.

But for some reason Robert's cartridge wouldn't run on my PPC -- it kept hanging up at the part where I was supposed to grab the picnic lunch.  But then again, I had issues just running the tutorial.  The iQue M5 was discontinued in 2006 or so, so it may just be too old and slow.

We wish they'd support a Palm version.... it probably would be a lot more stable...  kind of like an Apple version ...  so they stick with Windows and it's still in Beta....  hmmm.....  ah well...  we'll wait... and wait...  ::)

I am just curious s to why GC is promoting a specific type of cache that only a few can find because it requires something more than a simple GPSr. Seems strange to me.

It started off as a complete different GPS-enabled game/adventure, with really limitless possibilities.  But people were wanting to combine it with geocaching, so they created the Wherigo cache type.  They really haven't done anything in months to improve the builder or player (both are still in alpha and the latest version was released last May), but word on the street is they're about to roll out a big improvement/revampment.  Another word on the street is that their mobile programming folks have been tied up building the Geocaching App for the iphone.

A guy got tired of waiting and created an alternate Wherigo player for J2ME smartphones that you can download from OpenWIG (that's what KandRS uses).

I'd like to see them upgrade the builder, the player for PPC, and create players for Palm and the iphone.  Then you might see Wherigo grow a lot faster.

I am just curious s to why GC is promoting a specific type of cache that only a few can find because it requires something more than a simple GPSr. Seems strange to me.

Well they are trying to sell more Colorado's and Oregon's to play the specific cache.  I do not know where the colorado and oregon are on sales, I am thinking low but this is one way to boost sales.  Marketing tactics.  I think that is there spin on it.  I will admit, it is fun because the cartridge brings up certain "landmarks" you must visit before you get the cache.  I plan to do the ones in San Antonio during spring break

Whereigo.com needs to implement away for more devices to download the cartridges and play the game, but as HC stated, they need to be GPS enabled.  It seems like if anyone has the Nuvii 500, it will play the game.  It listed that the Nuvii's can execute the cartridge but I beleive they have to be the Nuvii 500 or newer.  

It started off as a complete different GPS-enabled game/adventure, with really limitless possibilities.  But people were wanting to combine it with geocaching, so they created the Wherigo cache type.  They really haven't done anything in months to improve the builder or player (both are still in alpha and the latest version was released last May), but word on the street is they're about to roll out a big improvement/revampment.  Another word on the street is that their mobile programming folks have been tied up building the Geocaching App for the iphone.

A guy got tired of waiting and created an alternate Wherigo player for J2ME smartphones that you can download from OpenWIG (that's what KandRS uses).

I'd like to see them upgrade the builder, the player for PPC, and create players for Palm and the iphone.  Then you might see Wherigo grow a lot faster.

Well I did get a note that the geocaching app for the iphone has been updated to version 1.2, so maybe this will get them to get back and work on whereigo.

I guess my issue with it is that on the GC page it says...

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

I guess this isn't really true anymore because I can no longer find all caches unless I have special equipment beyond a simple GPS. Maybe it is just me but it seems a little less friendly when they are obviously trying to "sell" a type of cache.

I guess my issue with it is that on the GC page it says...

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

I guess this isn't really true anymore because I can no longer find all caches unless I have special equipment beyond a simple GPS. Maybe it is just me but it seems a little less friendly when they are obviously trying to "sell" a type of cache.

There are maybe 8 Wherigo caches in the whole state.  Would you feel better if they archived them all?  I don't understand why you feel they are trying to "sell" this particular type of activity/cache over just regular caching.  Sure, not very many people have the necessary equipment to play Wherigo (and some of us that do have problems with the technology working right ::)), but it's in it's infancy.  When geocaching first started, not many people had handheld GPSr's and there were only a few caches in the entire country.

There are maybe 8 Wherigo caches in the whole state.  Would you feel better if they archived them all?  I don't understand why you feel they are trying to "sell" this particular type of activity/cache over just regular caching.  Sure, not very many people have the necessary equipment to play Wherigo (and some of us that do have problems with the technology working right ::)), but it's in it's infancy.  When geocaching first started, not many people had handheld GPSr's and there were only a few caches in the entire country.

I'm not sure they've devoted that many resources to it, but then what do I know.  Like I said, Wherigo is it's own website, with cartridges (created by individuals) that you can download and play just about anywhere.  They don't all have caches at the end.  As a matter of fact, originally it was just going to be another separate GPS activity for folks to do, but cachers kept clamoring for it to be tied into Geocaching somehow, so they bowed to pressure and created the Wherigo cache type. 

To me Wherigo's are no different than a 5/5 on a island in a lake.  It requires equipment that a lot of people don't have (a boat), so they can either borrow the equipment, go with someone else who has one, or just ignore the cache.