Sign in to follow this  
skyfire97

GPS rental?

I have been asked to do a geocaching event for our Girl Scout service unit in the fall (got to plan this things early you know.)  If this event ends up as popular as the other events that our service unit has planned, we may be looking at about 100 girls participating.  There is no way we can do an event with the 2 gps's our family owns.

If this was Boy Scouts, it would be easy as they do have gps units to rent, but I haven't seen anything saying the Girl Scouts do.  (GsGuru or Ms. MuddyBuddies, do you know any different on this?)

So the question is does anyone know a place that handhelds can be begged, borrowed, or rented for an event?  (I do know places that rent driving gps's but would prefer to not go that route.)

When I did an event for 50 people I got my company to agree to purchase 10 units.  At the end of geocaching event we had a drawing to see who was awarded the GPSr.  Renting one is just too high. You might ask for families thta have units to bring them.

Our Girl Scout Council has talked about purchasing a few for the camps but it hasn't gotten off of the ground.  It's one of those catch 22 situations.  They are waiting for the program to be established and those that could establish it are waiting for the GPSrs to be in place. 

Our Girl Scout Council has talked about purchasing a few for the camps but it hasn't gotten off of the ground.  It's one of those catch 22 situations.  They are waiting for the program to be established and those that could establish it are waiting for the GPSrs to be in place. 

Or is at a Cache 22?

There are nine with that name.

Thanks for the input.  Right now I am just trying to gather cost info to see if this would be a cost effective event.  The service unit wouldn't be able to buy enough units to make this possible.  We have discussed geocaching as a possible event.  Several have heard of it, a few have tried letterboxing, and only a couple had usuable gps's.  Since the event will be in September, we have enough time to research options.

Mrs. Muddy Buddy -- I had a feeling it was something like that.  We did letterboxing at Robinwood, but caching was only briefly mentioned as something older girls might like to try.

I have over the years been asked to try to start something at the camps, but without the GPSrs, I'm in the same shape that you are.  It's too difficult to work with 100's that may not have a GPS.  You can't share 2 with that many people.  Stan and I have done an adult workshop for one of the big GS regional events.  We just hope that some of those adults will get interested and buy a GPS and go share it with their troops. 

I'm pretty sure that the Girl Scouts are like the Boy Scouts in their adult volunteer requirements.  Do all adult volunteers need to have the day-long training before working directly with the scouts?  That would preclude caching volunteers helping (other than loaning GPSrs).

Even using loaners would be a big problem, because of the different models and companies.

I have thought of doing something similar at the library, but have the same reservations.

I'm pretty sure that the Girl Scouts are like the Boy Scouts in their adult volunteer requirements.  Do all adult volunteers need to have the day-long training before working directly with the scouts?  That would preclude caching volunteers helping (other than loaning GPSrs).

Even using loaners would be a big problem, because of the different models and companies.

I have thought of doing something similar at the library, but have the same reservations.

For just short-term volunteering (like a day workshop), the volunteers would not have to have any special training as long as there was someone there that had been trained and had gone through the criminal background check.  I would think that it would be similar to our day camp settings.  The ones that are volunteering all week as Girl Scouts have to also have the child abuse training which is an online very quick course.  However, the guest speakers don't have to go through that. 

Hubby's solution to this was to make it a duel event for boys and girls and borrow the Boy Scout gps's.  That isn't a horrible idea, but there wasn't enough interest from the Boy Scouts in this area last time we were asked to have an event for them to make it worth the effort.  I think if hubby was involved as a leader instead of something above the troop level it would have improved our turn out....which was 3 Girl Scouts (2 of which are my daughters).

If the lady in charge of our service unit can find the resources to make a Wii party reality then I am sure she can find some way to make a geocaching event work as well.  Time will tell I guess.

Last night at the Brazoria County event one of the cachers, Britt of Britt and Bess, mentioned that they were going to be starting a geocaching program at Sea Center Texas.  Some of the caches that they were going to hide on the property wouldn't be official because they'd be too close to each other, but for doing the caches, you'd get a TPWD certificate.  Also, they will have the GPSrs to borrow to do the series.  It's a great place to take troops.  I took my GS troop their on a field trip many, many years ago.  Neat place.  I don't think that the program for geocaching is available yet though. 

Cool to know.  I think we will definitely have to check in to the program.  That would be a great field trip for the troop with or without the geocaching event.

Since this is for the Girls Scouts and it being a not-for-profit organization, have you considered contacting Garmin and see if they have any inexpensive units that they would donate to your troop. I would get started on this asap as this is the time of year where most companies are getting their new budgets and know their charitable donation limits.  It's certainly worth a try.

Since this is for the Girls Scouts and it being a not-for-profit organization, have you considered contacting Garmin and see if they have any inexpensive units that they would donate to your troop. I would get started on this asap as this is the time of year where most companies are getting their new budgets and know their charitable donation limits.  It's certainly worth a try.

Troops themselves aren't allowed to solicit donations.  However, our Council can and should. 

Troops themselves aren't allowed to solicit donations.  However, our Council can and should. 

If you know anyone on the council you might want to suggest it to them because NOW is the time to do it before all their donation funds are used up.

The time is near.  Wish me luck as I will be teaching about 275 Girl Scouts and their adult volunteer chaperones how to cache this weekend.  ;D

I did find a place to rent gps units.  10 units for under $300....I got the basic yellow e-trex because I figured it would do for what we are going to be doing.  The place does offer the the 60cx and magellan crossover.  lowergear.com 

Hopefully San Jacinto council will soon be the owners of a few units.  I had e-mail conversation going on with the person responsible for the purchase, but have not heard if she has received the units yet.  If you are a girl scout getting ready to plan something with your troop or service unit, you might want to check with them.  They just might be available.

The Boy Scout council (Sam Houston Area Council) has 20 eTrax, but they do not lend them to individual units. They are available for council (University of Scouting, Scout Fair, etc) and district (camporee, etc.) events only.

I don't know if this will change with the Merit Badge coming up or not.

The Boy Scout council (Sam Houston Area Council) has 20 eTrax, but they do not lend them to individual units. They are available for council (University of Scouting, Scout Fair, etc) and district (camporee, etc.) events only.

I don't know if this will change with the Merit Badge coming up or not.

Random has used the council gps on a couple of different occasions.  Both times were for district geocaching events.  No, that's not right.  One was a caching event that the district asked for...exact 0 BOY scouts showed up....3 girl scouts attended as my daughter's troop was also invited.  :(  The other event was the district picnic that the district decided to try caching at again.  This time we had about 5 boys try caching.  More were there but just not that interested.  Random said to talk to your district executive to see if you can set something up.  Maybe your district would be more interested.