Keeping a cache dry

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I just saw RER's reply....after I sent mine to MTP/SP/Linden.

I just thought it was an interesting method.  It probably doesn't have the capacity to really do a good job in the humid climate, but moisture is always a problem, particularly for some caches (insert plug for my Cypress Island GCT7G1).

I honestly don't know a lot about desiccants and their dangers, but find some in food products (like coffee, er Kawphy, and some de-hyrdated foods)...with warnings to not eat the product, so I suspect some are less dangerous than others.

Anyway, just a thought.  Take it or leave it.

Posted · Report post

I would worry about the dissicant getting into the wrong hands....perhaps a childs.  Some parents aren't as watchful as others when kids are trading from a cache, I don't know what I'd do if something happened to one of them for ingesting a poison I put in the cache.  I think the good ole natural way of double bagging and greasing the rubber seal works.  And it's safer..... O0

I had an adult cacher drive a nail through his foot while looking for a cache I put out (and didn't see any nails.) I felt pretty bad about that. I'd sure hate for someone to ingest some hazardous material I had put in a cache, almost as much as I'd hate for someone to be bit by a snake while looking for one of my caches.

Posted · Report post

I almost got snagged by some barbed wire at one of your caches. :o

If it's the one I'm thinking about, all you have to do is get out of your car and walk about 20 feet straight to it. There is barb wire around but all I've seen was attached to fence posts. ;)

Posted · Report post

Area hazards are one thing, we all cache in the real world, and only so much can be done to limit that.  For me, something I intentionally place in the cache is on a different level.  The way that placing a cache in the vicinity of an unknown bee hive, is different than hiding one in the cache.  I know one of SP's caches is in a flood zone, and floods many times a year.  It is an ammo box, and still every time I visit it's in great shape, especially considering it is submerged completely during certain times.  There are things we can do to ensure this, and I like his ideas and approach, which I know to work very well.  O0

Posted · Report post

I have never seen a rubber seal on an ammo can.  Or are you guys referring to another type of container?  (Or am I that blind?)

Posted · Report post

On the inside of the top of the lid there should be a rubber seal going around.  The container is fairly waterproof even without it, but the seal makes it very doable, even suspended underwater.  Check it out....I always check mine before I buy O0

Posted · Report post

Oh...I bet they are there and when I tell Mrs OSC about it she will probably just tell me I am blind... ;D

..but that is a good tip on the seals! 

Posted · Report post

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".  She laughed:

HoustonControl:

What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container".

Posted · Report post

HoustonControl:

What's worse is when I'm getting ready to take out the garbage and I tell the wife, "Hey, don't throw that away, it'll make a good cache container".

He's such a gentleman!  At least he didn't say 'she's'. ;)

Posted · Report post

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".   She laughed:

HoustonControl:

Well, you know you've reached an even higher level of derangement when you are in the supermarket and you're looking at EVERY container for cache applicability and trying to justify the cost of buying something you don't like/use/have-any-idea-what-it-is just to dump it, or eat it, or use it so you can have the empty container....

Posted · Report post

I changed a container of ours a few weeks back and as I pulled it out of the cabinets I was thing man this is nice. :)

I'm in garage and I'm sanding it to apply hot glue and camo and Mrs.TT comes up behind me and sees what I am doing..... :knuppel2:

Needless to say, it wasn't bought yesterday for that purpose.... :D

Posted · Report post

Another way to keep logs serviceable even when wet is to use water proof paper. I have used a paper product I bought from an online auction company that seems to hold up well. I don't know if we are allowed to use product names on this forum, but the info I have given should be enough to make a successful search.

Posted · Report post

Here is another thread on waterproof paper.

Thanks for the thread. I have used the RITR paper in many of my caches with good success. One downside is the paper must be laser printed if you want to print lines or a header on the log sheets. Inkjets won't work. But, any Office store can print them for you on laser. It's a good product.

Posted · Report post

Here is another thread on waterproof paper.

Thanks for the thread. I have used the RITR paper in many of my caches with good success. One downside is the paper must be laser printed if you want to print lines or a header on the log sheets. Inkjets won't work. But, any Office store can print them for you on laser. It's a good product.

I use have thought about using -- the color laser printer at work for RITR paper.  It works great! I bet it would work great!

Posted · Report post

I know I'm bumping an old thread, but I had to recognize HoustonControl for being able to tell my wife "Look!! It's not just me!!!".   She laughed:

HoustonControl:

Well, you know you've reached an even higher level of derangement when you are in the supermarket and you're looking at EVERY container for cache applicability and trying to justify the cost of buying something you don't like/use/have-any-idea-what-it-is just to dump it, or eat it, or use it so you can have the empty container....

Or the time my better half forced me to go to Hobby Lobby with her.  That will never happen again as she finally finished her shopping, came to find  me and said, "I'M LEAVING you can walk"!!!!

Add a 1200 square foot barn that becomes the receptacle for any and every thing possible for a container.  Most recently was "THE LOOK" when I pulled over to the side of the road to pick up a small igloo water cooler that must have fallen off a truck.  Banged up but perfect for a "large".  Oh did I give something away?

Can I have and AMEN on that brothers and sisters!!  :teasing:

Posted · Report post

I've been trying to find paper that I can use for a cache that might get ALOT of water. I found a paper that it used for coupons and I actually did pretty well in my "water test".  :orelse:

Posted · Report post

I've been trying to find paper that I can use for a cache that might get ALOT of water. I found a paper that it used for coupons and I actually did pretty well in my "water test".  :orelse:

Can  you run Tyvek through a laser printer?  It should be nearly indestructible.

Posted · Report post

If you want something almost completely indestructible use the RITR Duracopy paper.  That stuff is completely waterproof and has such high mechanical strength that you cannot tear it by hand.  It can be printed on with a laser printer and most pens work on it also.  The best pens for use on it are the RITR waterproof pens or running a very close second is an ordinary Sharpie marker or pen. 

I've tested this stuff exhaustively for both caching and 'other' professional uses.  It's fantastic stuff.  The downside - cost is .65/sheet. 

For most uses the ordinary RITR paper is sufficient.  It can stand repeated wet/dry cycles and never loses it's mechanical strength, wet or dry.  However, it does absorb water, but quickly dries out.  It has about 2x the mechanical strength of ordinary paper, but maintains it wet or dry and its tensile strength doesn't deteriorate with repeated wet/dry cycles. 

I'll update my earlier post about extended paper testing, hopefully later this evening for everyone's general info. 

Can  you run Tyvek through a laser printer?  It should be nearly indestructible.

Posted · Report post

Is there a local supplier of RITR paper? I have bought it on eBay.

Posted · Report post

I've never found it in Houston.  I ordered mine directly from Rite in the Rain company.  See http://www.riteintherain.com/ for their website.  I ordered both the "All Weather Copier Paper", which is compatible with a laser printer and the DuraCopy paper which si also compatible with a laser printer.  They also have a product called WeatherJet which allows printing by inkjet printers, but that stuff is even more expensive than the DuraCopy product. 

If you need some, as per my earlier offer, I'll send you 2 sheets of the All Weather paper and 2 sheets of Duracopy if you pm or email me with your address.  i can also cut them into 1" or 2' strips prior to sending them if you want as I have a very good paper cutter that makes quick work of said task.

Let me know!

Is there a local supplier of RITR paper? I have bought it on eBay.