Sign in to follow this  
Team Four Paw

Monthly events?

What do people think about monthly events? Like the old breakfest meets? Is montly too much? Bi-Monthly?

Personally I would like the montly events. Someone mentioned moving the events around. One month would be on the west side, next month south etc..

I wasn't around for the old breakfast meetings ... well I joined and there was one the very next weekend, but you know I still had that first impression goin on, you know …. What kind of weirdo’s are they, treasure hunting overgrown kids …. and now I know, they are some of the best folks in Texas that love the outdoors.

Yes, I will make as many as possible. It will really depend on when more then where.

I'm game....I'd even volunteer to "set one up"....i.e. reserve restaurant etc. Someone just has to let me know particulars like how many attend etc. But yea I'm game....questions...

would we have a "topic"? like someone to teach about geo-schtuff?

Would it just be social?

I like the idea of some variety.  I wish I was in Austin since they have some neat ideas for events.  At one they got together to eat pie.  Another they ate BBQ and exchanged homemade micros. Another event was a bike ride/cache event.  Many of the events were given by Mrs. Captain Pichard.

Hmm.. Good point SP. Social would be the idea..doing topics/howto/seminars can get stressful. Besides I could never compete with the The Outlaw's/Moosiegirl's geekfest. I just want people to come together to have fun. The community seems a little distant right now. Something happened at TC2k5 and things just haven't been the same since. I dunno. ???

So has SP volunteered for the first presentation? I think the social thing is a great start!

I would like to see them start back up again and agree that mixing them up with learning experiences would be nice also.  We have so many talented cachers in the group it would be great to learn from them. :)

Guest Captain J

Something happened at TC2k5 and things just haven't been the same since. I dunno. ???

Too bad, but there no such thing as friendly competition.  I always avoid it if possible.

What do people think about monthly events? Like the old breakfest meets? Is montly too much? Bi-Monthly?

Personally I would like the montly events. Someone mentioned moving the events around. One month would be on the west side, next month south etc..

There will probably be a "post-wedding" event in late October or in November.  O0;D

There will probably be a "post-wedding" event in late October or in November.  O0;D

Do you want us to bring a margarita machine?

Have you guys seen "The Wedding Crashers"?

>:D  Expect some unexpected guests at the actual event!!!  >:D

I like the idea of some variety.  I wish I was in Austin since they have some neat ideas for events.  At one they got together to eat pie.  Another they ate BBQ and exchanged homemade micros. Another event was a bike ride/cache event.  Many of the events were given by Mrs. Captain Pichard.

You are totally Off task here, what Is your suggestion for Houston Area O0 montly meetting, I care not to listen/read to what's done elsewere.

You are totally Off task here, what Is your suggestion for Houston Area O0 montly meetting, I care not to listen/read to what's done elsewere.

My point was variety ;D

Guest Captain J

I suggest that we take the events to the parks and woods.  This is where the cacher belongs.  Also events should be posted on Terracaching as well as Geocaching as I don't do Geocaching anymore.

I suggest that we take the events to the parks and woods.  This is where the cacher belongs.   Also events should be posted on Terracaching as well as Geocaching as I don't do Geocaching anymore.

I agree....well with the exception of June, July, August, and September. We enjoy indoor events during these months  ;D

I enjoyed my first event and haven't been able to make one since.  Distance often gets in the way, though I am looking to change that.  I definetly second the posting of events on both sites, something I am sure can be done.  I also think it would be good to move them around since cachers do live on all sides of the city, but either way these get togethers get my vote.  No need to make them all elaborate, some could be a light picnic/social in some of the parks around town.  These would easily convert into CITO events.  Who knows, we might even get the parks crews wondering what is going on with all these people randomly cleaning up all around town.  Just my .02....

I also think it would be good to move them around since cachers do live on all sides of the city, but either way these get togethers get my vote.  No need to make them all elaborate, some could be a light picnic/social in some of the parks around town.  These would easily convert into CITO events.  Who knows, we might even get the parks crews wondering what is going on with all these people randomly cleaning up all around town.  Just my .02....

RER, great idea about the CITO/social/picnic thing. Should raise awareness and possible bring some more people into our "little family."   :D  :D

Alot of talk has been going around about this but nobody has stepped up to bat.   ::) I will make the first move and organize an event in the NW area for everybody. A couple of questions:

Saturday or Sunday?

Picnic or grill out?

Park or restaurant?

My votes are Sunday afternoon, Picnic, Park, throw some dogs on the barbie and chat.  O0

My first thought was to have it at Bear Creek Park. Close to major freeways. Your thoughts?

Also, how about Oct. 30? That is about a month after "Summer Celebration?"

Got my thinking cap on, is yours?   ;)

Let me know

gsguru

Tx_secsy and I have been talking about hosting a monthly event, but so far, it has only been talk.  We began looking at October.  The first part of the month was too close to the Sept. event and then in the middle of the month was the Four Cache Loop that some are doing, so we at first thought about the last weekend in October which might be fun being so close to Halloween.  However, she noticed that there would be an event, One of These Spooky Nights.  It's kind of far away, but we wondered if we would be conflicting with someone else's event that some of our SETX geocachers might want to attend.  We also thought that TTF would like a place to give out his Geo-Opoly awards.  We talked to him to find out if he had plans or would like for us to do something.  He seemed very appreciative if we would do that for him.  However, that would need to be the first of November since the contest doesn't end until Oct. 31.    Since we have made no plans yet, if someone else is wanting to throw an event around that time, we don't have a problem with it.  I do like the Bear Creek Park idea.  We've had events in the east side of town (La Porte), center of town, and way up north (Spring),  Spring Branch CITO, and Sugar Land (Dreamcacher's Pool Party), but we haven't had one on the west side that I know of since I've been caching.  We are starting to get several brand new cachers on the west side, and I think if we had something in this area it would be great to introduce them to all of us crazy geocachers. 

Tx_secsy and I have been talking about hosting a monthly event, but so far, it has only been talk.  We began looking at October.  The first part of the month was too close to the Sept. event and then in the middle of the month was the Four Cache Loop that some are doing, so we at first thought about the last weekend in October which might be fun being so close to Halloween.  However, she noticed that there would be an event, One of These Spooky Nights.  It's kind of far away, but we wondered if we would be conflicting with someone else's event that some of our SETX geocachers might want to attend.  We also thought that TTF would like a place to give out his Geo-Opoly awards.  We talked to him to find out if he had plans or would like for us to do something.  He seemed very appreciative if we would do that for him.  However, that would need to be the first of November since the contest doesn't end until Oct. 31.    Since we have made no plans yet, if someone else is wanting to throw an event around that time, we don't have a problem with it.  I do like the Bear Creek Park idea.  We've had events in the east side of town (La Porte), center of town, and way up north (Spring),  Spring Branch CITO, and Sugar Land (Dreamcacher's Pool Party), but we haven't had one on the west side that I know of since I've been caching.   We are starting to get several brand new cachers on the west side, and I think if we had something in this area it would be great to introduce them to all of us crazy geocachers. 

Ditto... :)