Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

West Nile Virus

33 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'm on my way to the doctor for blood test to confirm or deny a case of West Nile Virus. According to the doc I spoke to at Galveston County Health District my symptoms and recent heavy exposure to mossies make it a likely diagnosis. If so, I'll be the first case in Galveston County this year.  :what???:

Please take proper precautions when headed into the woods. DEET isn't enough. (I was lathered with DEET 100 when I was swarmed last week.) Long sleeves and pants will help, but it might be better to simply avoid the deep woods until the current crop of mossies has died back.  O0

Addicted as I am to this sport, the pain of a three day headache that runs all the way down my spinal cord isn't a fair trade for a handful of smilies. Ditto the other generally flu-like achy joints, fever and chills. Be careful out there!  :'(

Posted · Report post

Best of luck, freysman!

As one of the UTMB people who do research on WNV, the one bit of "good" news is that people who are exposed to it typically build up good antibodies against WNV.  Future exposures to WNV would then be negated by the antibodies and you (theoretically) won't be re-infected.

Posted · Report post

I'm on my way to the doctor for blood test to confirm or deny a case of West Nile Virus. According to the doc I spoke to at Galveston County Health District my symptoms and recent heavy exposure to mossies make it a likely diagnosis. If so, I'll be the first case in Galveston County this year.  :what???:

Please take proper precautions when headed into the woods. DEET isn't enough. (I was lathered with DEET 100 when I was swarmed last week.) Long sleeves and pants will help, but it might be better to simply avoid the deep woods until the current crop of mossies has died back.  O0

Addicted as I am to this sport, the pain of a three day headache that runs all the way down my spinal cord isn't a fair trade for a handful of smilies. Ditto the other generally flu-like achy joints, fever and chills. Be careful out there!  :'(

We hope you don't have it!  Please keep us informed!

Posted · Report post

Whoa, man. Hope your test come out negative and it's something else.

Posted · Report post

Hope everything is all right with you. 

I understand about the mosquitoes.  There were a couple of caches I found while out there where the skeeters were so bad I almost changed my mind about signing the log and I had on DEET, too! (The first that comes to mind is Island Trache Pirate Cache.)

Posted · Report post

Best of luck Freysman, we'll be thinking of/praying for you.

Posted · Report post

Dang, that's the pits!  Best of luck in the coming days.  I like Lefty's positive outlook, hope you do too.

Posted · Report post

I hope you didn't pick it up while doing my BNC caches.  :o

Best of luck to you, Dave!

Posted · Report post

I hope you didn't pick it up while doing my BNC caches.  :o

Given the incubation period before symptoms, my best guess is that I got it last Tuesday at BNC - For the Birds. Its a 'mild' infection, which means that the doc expects it to clear up in a few days. I got a buttful of torridol to break the pain cycle and I'm on a steady diet of Ibuprofin and Tylenol for the next few days. Aside from that there isn't much they can do about it except keep an eye on my symptoms and hope nothing gets worse. Since I'm in generally excellent health, a quick recovery is expected. I plan to return to work tomorrow.

Yep, I'm the first case in Galveston county his year. That's one FTF I'm not so enthusiastic about.   :buck2:

I gave my mother a stack of sudoku puzzle caches to work on while we waited, then went out and grabbed Su Doku Shells on the way home. Not gonna let a little virus break my streak (58 days so far, no threat to OHL Hockey Guy yet.)  :coolsmiley:

Posted · Report post

If you knowingly have West Nile and still go looking for tupperware in the woods; You just might be a geocacher.

:crazy2:

Posted · Report post

If you knowingly have West Nile and still go looking for tupperware in the woods; You just might be a geocacher.

:crazy2:

Well, I've already got it, and if Lefty is right I'll have immunity in the future, so what the heck? Yeah, I'm a geocacher. But I think I'll switch to long sleeves and pants until the mossie infestation is gone, and I'll probably have to cut back on my numbers until I'm feeling better. As it is, walking sends a jarring pain up my spine with each step, but its not as bad today as it was yesterday. I should be fine in time for the Four Cache Loop expedition.  ;D

Posted · Report post

We need a badge system for geocaching kind of like the Scouts.

100 finds

500 finds

etc...

Speeding ticket

Detained

Arrested

Tazer'd

Posion Ivy

Broken Bones

West Nile

Snake bite

Rocky Mountain Spotted fever

list goes on...

We could have a badge for each one... :D

I hope you feel better soon man... You'll need your health to battle the ticks on FCL.  ;)

Posted · Report post

I hope you feel better soon man... You'll need your health to battle the ticks on FCL.  ;)

Heh. Maybe I can earn my Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever/Lyme Disease badge.  :o

Posted · Report post

100 finds

500 finds

etc...

Speeding ticket

Detained

Arrested

Tazer'd

Posion Ivy

Broken Bones

West Nile

Snake bite

list goes on...

ICONS.....we need more ICONS.  :o

Posted · Report post

100 finds

500 finds

etc...

Speeding ticket

Detained

Arrested

Tazer'd

Posion Ivy

Broken Bones

West Nile

Snake bite

list goes on...

Don't forget "Attacked by wild pigs"!  O0

Posted · Report post

100 finds

500 finds

etc...

Speeding ticket

Detained

Arrested

Tazer'd

Posion Ivy

Broken Bones

West Nile

Snake bite

list goes on...

Don't forget "Attacked by wild pigs"!  O0

And gators!

Posted · Report post

I think at least of a couple of folks here have also earned the 'collision with deer' badge.  :D

Posted · Report post

Don't forget poking badgers!

Freysman can't be TOO sick, he got a FTF on Sunday!  Hope you're feeling better

Posted · Report post

David,

Did they confirm that it is indeed West Nile Virus?  Regardless of what it is, hope you are feeling better soon!

Zephyr

Posted · Report post

Yeah, its a 'mild' case of West Nile. If this is mild I'd hate to experience a 'serious' case. I was told about a man up in Houston who spent a year in the hospital on a ventilator due to severe muscular degeneration brought on by the virus, but he was over 80 years old at the time. My doc expects me to be as good as new by the weekend. I'm already feeling better than yesterday with just the lingering head/spine ache. The fever broke sometime yesterday morning, which solved the whole shivery/achy joint flu-like symptoms. Definitely not enough to keep me from some low impact caching, but I don't think I could handle a half-mile walk just yet. I'll stick to park and grabs for a few more days. Su Doku Shells just about sapped my strength yesterday afternoon. My 69 year old mom was more than able to keep up with me on that one, which I think was just under 3/10's of a mile round trip from where we parked.

Posted · Report post

It's good to hear you are on the mend.  It sure is nice of your mom to help out during your recuperation.  :)

Posted · Report post

It's good to hear you are on the mend.  It sure is nice of your mom to help out during your recuperation.   :)

I printed out a stack of Sudoku-like puzzles for to work on while we sat in the waiting room. She actually likes those. After that she decided she needed to see what she'd been working for. :)