Sign in to follow this  
cub pack 197

Wherigo - San Antonio event

I have been watching the forums hoping that someone would report on the Wherigo event which I believe was last week in San Antonio.

Nothing yet....

HoustonControl    1,044

You had to bring up Whereigo...

I've spent most of the day working on this $%&^*# Whereigo cartridge I'm trying to create.  If you're not a programmer or at least familiar with lua programming, it's an uphill battle.  I finally got most of the cartridge working properly in the emulator and on my handheld, but I'm still adding finishing touches.  I'm trying to add code to autosave the cartridge while it is being played and to check to see if it is being played on the desktop emulator (if so, it won't show the final cache location).  That last step requires working outside of the builder and I'm kinda lost (OK, really lost).  :P :-\

georeyna    108

I've spent most of the day working on this $%&^*# Whereigo cartridge I'm trying to create.  If you're not a programmer or at least familiar with lua programming, it's an uphill battle.  I finally got most of the cartridge working properly in the emulator and on my handheld, but I'm still adding finishing touches.  I'm trying to add code to autosave the cartridge while it is being played and to check to see if it is being played on the desktop emulator (if so, it won't show the final cache location).  That last step requires working outside of the builder and I'm kinda lost (OK, really lost).  :P :-\

Well everything you said was Greek to me, but I applaud your battle to get the first Whereigo cache in Houston.  Way to go HC!!  O0

Zephyr01    0

I have been watching the forums hoping that someone would report on the Wherigo event which I believe was last week in San Antonio.

Nothing yet....

Actually Zephyr went and it was fun!  It is a cool concept, although it is soo involved that I honestly don't think it will take off at the gc site.  They have it on a separate whereigo.com site as well, just like waymarking.  It COULD potentially replace the void in the lives of those of us who were abandoned when great games like Sierra's King's Quest and Space Quest series type adventure games were ditched for all the crappy new wave RPG stuff!  UGGHH!!  However, most folks likely won't do it that way. I got a good hands on experience as I got to handle a colorado unit for our group (we split into 3 groups to grab the actual cache, although whereigo.com actually discourages group caching--another minus).  The colorado was easy to use if your a Garmin user already.  The wheel is different but you quickly catch on.  The whole whereigo experience on the Garmin however, is a bit non-user-friendly IMO, but then I have trouble at times regardless due to my short term memory issues.  :-\  Our cache was one that we went to the designated spots using the Colorado then were shown two pieces of art at each location, we had to determine which was real and which was the 'doctored' fake? We had to pick up the real one and return it to the guy at the museum (our starting location).  HC has already done this cache a month or so ago, so he could also give you info.  The colorado is pricey and lacks some of our geocaching features on the other Garmin units.  You can use some other equipment to find these, but apparently it isn't easy to setup. Also if the cache was created with the colorado it may not work corretcly with an alternate setup (and vice-versa) unless it was thouroughly tested on both formats. I'd say it has the potential to really irritate you in the long run!!!  The screen, despite what they claim, was still hard to see in bright light, and as our 'quest' involved needing to see imges on the unit's screen that could make for some frustation in and of itself.  Anyway, I learned a lot, don't think I'll be running out to buy a Colorado.  I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers, so it was worth it. Any questions about the event--just pop me an email and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Zephyr

Zephyr01    0

Larry,

I might can help you with the programming part. It's been awhile, but that's a good thing, since it's my short term memory that is screwed!!!  :crazy2: :crazy2: :2funny:

Anyway, from what I learned, before you release it you need to check it out thoroughly on both the pocket PC AND the colorado platform.  They work differentely and you have to setup your program to respond to both cases or folks using the platform you didn't use will likely not be able to complete the cache.  I liked the idea of being able to do it with the emulator on your computer and with some cases, like the artwork one we did last weekend, I think that would be a plus, rather than a minus as you could work out the images part from indoors our of bright light issues on the screens of the GPSr.

Lisa

Zephyr01    0

PS Larry--Aggie has a Colorado, per another board--he's your Colorado tester by default!!!  >:D:2funny:

Nothing yet....

Actually Zephyr went and it was fun!  It is a cool concept, although it is soo involved that I honestly don't think it will take off at the gc site.  They have it on a separate whereigo.com site as well, just like waymarking.  It COULD potentially replace the void in the lives of those of us who were abandoned when great games like Sierra's King's Quest and Space Quest series type adventure games were ditched for all the crappy new wave RPG stuff!  UGGHH!!   However, most folks likely won't do it that way. I got a good hands on experience as I got to handle a colorado unit for our group (we split into 3 groups to grab the actual cache, although whereigo.com actually discourages group caching--another minus).  The colorado was easy to use if your a Garmin user already.  The wheel is different but you quickly catch on.  The whole whereigo experience on the Garmin however, is a bit non-user-friendly IMO, but then I have trouble at times regardless due to my short term memory issues.  :-\  Our cache was one that we went to the designated spots using the Colorado then were shown two pieces of art at each location, we had to determine which was real and which was the 'doctored' fake? We had to pick up the real one and return it to the guy at the museum (our starting location).  HC has already done this cache a month or so ago, so he could also give you info.  The colorado is pricey and lacks some of our geocaching features on the other Garmin units.  You can use some other equipment to find these, but apparently it isn't easy to setup. Also if the cache was created with the colorado it may not work corretcly with an alternate setup (and vice-versa) unless it was thouroughly tested on both formats. I'd say it has the potential to really irritate you in the long run!!!  The screen, despite what they claim, was still hard to see in bright light, and as our 'quest' involved needing to see imges on the unit's screen that could make for some frustation in and of itself.  Anyway, I learned a lot, don't think I'll be running out to buy a Colorado.  I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers, so it was worth it. Any questions about the event--just pop me an email and I'll try to answer as best I can.

Zephyr

Hey, Zephyr, thanks for the great review of the Colorado!  O0 O0 No one has really given such a forthright review that we've seen....

HoustonControl    1,044

Zeph, did the artwork images appear quickly on the Colorado when you selected one?  On my iQue, it took like two minutes for each one to appear.  If I hadn't already played the cartridge at home on the PC emulator, I don't think I would have finished it in San Antonio -- we were a little short on time and it could've taken forever to look at each painting, especially if I picked one wrong.  Playing with my little cartridge I'm trying to write, I found it will only run somewhat smoothly on the handheld if I make the graphics really small, file size-wise.

If and when I get it done and published, I guess I'll have to arrange for a Colorado owner to come do it and I'll meet them out there and go through it with them.

I had a setback last night when I made a (bad) change to the cartridge and saved it.  Now I get a fatal error when I try to reopen it.  I have an older saved version, but it means I have to redo a lot of work I did yesterday.  ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!  :tickedoff:

Live and learn... :-\

HoustonControl    1,044

BTW, FoxFireX posted a link on the Whereigo forum to the Whereigo Powerpoint presentation that he used at his event Saturday.  Seems to be pretty good at explaining the basics.

I managed to salvage my corrupted cartridge, figure out the error I had and fix it.  Seems that whenever you save a cartridge, it renames the last save xxxxxxx.bkup, so I was able to recover it.  Whew!!!

Zephyr01    0

Zeph, did the artwork images appear quickly on the Colorado when you selected one?  On my iQue, it took like two minutes for each one to appear.  If I hadn't already played the cartridge at home on the PC emulator, I don't think I would have finished it in San Antonio -- we were a little short on time and it could've taken forever to look at each painting, especially if I picked one wrong.  Playing with my little cartridge I'm trying to write, I found it will only run somewhat smoothly on the handheld if I make the graphics really small, file size-wise.

If and when I get it done and published, I guess I'll have to arrange for a Colorado owner to come do it and I'll meet them out there and go through it with them.

I had a setback last night when I made a (bad) change to the cartridge and saved it.  Now I get a fatal error when I try to reopen it.  I have an older saved version, but it means I have to redo a lot of work I did yesterday.  ARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!  :tickedoff:

Live and learn... :-\

No HC,

The artwork images loaded up pretty quick, but we all agreed that in this scenario for what we were trying to do, it would've been nice to be able to view them side by side. Having to open/close and go back and forth between them was a pain. I'd say each image loaded within 2-3 seconds. Nearly imperceptible.

Zeph