ohl hockey guy

FTF Trophy

110 posts in this topic

There it is! On Easygroomer's dashboard!

IMG_0512.jpg

Proud Papa after the crossing:

IMG_0511.jpg

There it is! On Easygroomer's dashboard!

IMG_0512.jpg

Proud Papa after the crossing:

IMG_0511.jpg

That's awesome! It must have been scary way back in them woods.  O0

Congrats to easygroomer and Welcome to the FTFC finders club!  O0

That being said, have fun enjoying your accomplishment and have fun hiding it!

A word about the Trophy caches:

They don't have to be puzzles!!!!!!!!!

There's no "rule" that states that.

Caches can be challenging without being a puzzle.

A well placed multi cache can be just as fun and challenging without the hunter consulting obscure and arcane tomes to glean the smallest tidbit of knowledge some of these caches require.

While the ONE FTFC cache we placed WAS a puzzle, if we had to do it again, which we will NOT be doing, we'd make it a multi or something that everyone can do without straining the brain.  :)

A well placed multi cache can be just as fun and challenging without the hunter consulting obscure and arcane tomes to glean the smallest tidbit of knowledge some of these caches require.

While the ONE FTFC cache we placed WAS a puzzle, if we had to do it again, which we will NOT be doing, we'd make it a multi or something that everyone can do without straining the brain.  :)

Sounds like maybe it's time for a multi. O0

I really look forward to knowing that at least once a month a challenging clever puzzle will be published. I know this is a subject that has been debated to death, and I am not really in the mood for a debate. I just wanted to say I love the puzzles.

We have done Multi-Caches that had a puzzle at every stage.  ::)

I am just so happy easy groomer found it.  He looked pretty happy!!

I think no matter how you do it, multi, puzzle or regular cache, certain people will be the only ones finding the cache, not necessarily the rest of the group.  Not that that is a bad thing, it is not but the people who are puzzle guru's, can also be FTF gurus as well.  I think the FTFC caches should be whatever the new "FTFC" winner would like to do.  O0

I am just so happy easy groomer found it.  He looked pretty happy!!

I think no matter how you do it, multi, puzzle or regular cache, certain people will be the only ones finding the cache, not necessarily the rest of the group.  Not that that is a bad thing, it is not but the people who are puzzle guru's, can also be FTF gurus as well.  I think the FTFC caches should be whatever the new "FTFC" winner would like to do.  O0

Obviously that's ok...but the one common thread of concern we've heard from SOME people is that it's morphed into a puzzle contest.  It wasn't always a puzzle contest.  We've got no bone in the hide argument - we did ours, it was a puzzle, we don't intend on trying for the trophy again since once was enough for us.  If we had to do it all over we'd probably not done it as a puzzle.  Such is life.

Wouldn't you agree, Elisa, that a cache that wasn't a puzzle and was not super hard would open up the possibility of many more people having the opportunity to "win" the championship than just a few dedicated puzzle hounds?  Is the Championship about FTF or puzzles?

Let's face it:  The facts are, look at the FTFC caches and look at the number of hits they get.  Some of them are really inventive, imaginary, creative, and out-and-out cool; some take you to some really pretty places...but tell me with all honesty that there aren't people that AVOID solving them BECAUSE they are puzzles?  Which is a shame since some of them are really fantastic but reality would dictate that they aren't hit too often and then eventually go into disrepair (an inevitability in caching) and then, sadly, archived when there was nothing wrong with the cache other than it getting pigeonholed as Too Hard Because Its A Puzzle?

That's our dime (inflation) about the subject.

People can hide what they want, when they want, how they want, etc.......and that goes for this trophy.

Congrats to Easygroomer!!!

I kind of like the FTF cache being a puzzle, because it actually gives me a chance at the FTF.  Face it, the trophy pretty much stays on the west side, and there is NO WAY I can be FTF on a regular cache, or even a multi over there.  Of course, being a puzzle I can actually solve would be nice too!  ::)  :D

There's nothing that says after the FTF, the puzzle can't be made a lot easier.  On the one I did (thanks for the props, Karen), after the trophy was gone, I removed one stage of the multi, made another easier to find, added a hint, and left the final ammo can quite a bit less concealed.  Yeah, but it still doesn't get hit that much.  ???

You want the FTF trophy to be at least a little bit of a challenge, but face it -- make it a multi, a puzzle, or even a long bushwhack regular with class 4 terrain, and (after the FTF) scores of people will simply filter it out.

Shhhhhh!!! You didn't have to say how much easier you made it when I found it. Plus, who are these people that filter FTFC out?  :o I go out of my way to go find these caches.  O0

Shhhhhh!!! You didn't have to say how much easier you made it when I found it. Plus, who are these people that filter FTFC out?  :o I go out of my way to go find these caches.  O0

They're a lot of the same folks that filter puzzles and multis.... :'(

I know I wouldn't have been out there at all if going solo. I'm just not a brain puzzle kinda person--But get me on a mechanical puzzle --linked rings, rubiks, puzzle boxes or anything involving figuring out how something works or is suposed to go back together, I'm pretty decent. That may be why my father calls me over to help clean a new gun or why broken small engines don't stay broken at my house.

That was probably my one and only chance at that trophy because I was going with someone who had the solve and wanted a bushwhack buddy. I appreciate the opportunity, even though I `wussed out' at the last 542'. (Hey, I'm sick.) The trophy holder could make it into a puzzle skirt lifter for all I care and I still wouldn't go after it.

Of course, I say that now. Let me get a couple of years under my belt with this hobby and I may change my tune. To the die-hard puzzle fiends, my hat's off to you. Y'all accomplish things I can't,won't, or don't like doing.  :cheers:

I'd like to see the FTFC trophy be an event cache one time. Have a pre-published event where we are "eating" so it qualifies as an event cache. Then give all the cachers the coordinates to another cache site where the event log can be and first to get there gets the FTF trophy.

Congratulations to Voodoo Chicken for bagging the FTF Trophy yesterday, just a bit before Houston Control.

I'm sure we can expect a very easy to solve puzzle cache from VDC in a few weeks...

Her log is hilarious. Here it is for your reading enjoyment.

WTG Voodoo Chicken

dumb school interfered with my puzzle solving/cache finding time! I'll just have to watch closely to finally get the trophy!  O0

I'd like to see the FTFC trophy be an event cache one time. Have a pre-published event where we are "eating" so it qualifies as an event cache. Then give all the cachers the coordinates to another cache site where the event log can be and first to get there gets the FTF trophy.

Still think that this would be a good idea!

Congrats to MTCachers on the latest FTFC FTF!  I came in last night to see an email that the trophy had been dropped in the cache, but the cache wasn't published yet.  So I think to myself, "I'll have to check back periodically to see if it's been published".  My notification range for new caches is just 20 miles, so there's a chance this one could be outside of that perimeter (sure enough, it's 21.7 miles away).  Naturally, I forget about it and 4 hours later, I get the notification that MTCachers had retrieved the trophy.  What!  Already?  Are you kidding me?!

I'm still sitting here listening to these songs.  On about half of them I don't have a clue!  :crazy2:

On about half of them I don't have a clue!  :crazy2:

Agreed. Pat and I went through twice last night and only got 9 of 15. We did appreciate #11, though. Way to go, MTCachers!