New arrivals and air pigs

705 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

You mean like this?

6b46bdb3-27cc-45e5-b4e0-f84a8d0434cf.jpg

Those are flying piggy banks.  :knuppel2::magic::orelse::startled::peace:

Posted · Report post

Hey, lookie what I stumbled across on YouTube...an air pig and one of those "R-words" (I can't say "RJ" around OSC or Texas Viking....D'oh!  I just did!  :-X ) drag racing.

Yeah, that's right.  Someone is filming the air pig take off simultaneously with their a/c.

8)

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool, too!

Looks like they were departing on 27?  I'm assuming the RJ was on 27R and the 737 was on 27L, just based on the where the terminal was.

Here's another vid that definitely justifies certain views on the whole "Regional Airline/RJ" attitude:

Posted · Report post

Yeah, I thought it was pretty cool, too!

Looks like they were departing on 27?  I'm assuming the RJ was on 27R and the 737 was on 27L, just based on the where the terminal was.

Here's another vid that definitely justifies certain views on the whole "Regional Airline/RJ" attitude:

It looks like 15R & 15L  ...that's the most common departing configuration....the 27's are too far apart and offset for that. 

Posted · Report post

Everyone has dues to pay.  I started dispatching for COEX in 1993 and took a pay cut from working Operations in EWR from CAL....  I only spent a year at COEX before getting to Dispatch for CAL in 1994.  I spent literally one year at COEX but it was the year I needed so I could hired back at CAL.... (although back then I kept my system seniority and employee number....)

So while it might stink for RJ pilots (back in '93 they put out a memo forbidding the pilots and flight attendants from going to get their food stamps in uniform...) they could do very well for themselves... 

Posted · Report post

A friend of mine, Dean Lemoine, is a 757/767 FO for yall.  I know that before he got hired by CAL, he was flying our jump plane down in Beeville on the weekends to build up hours.  I think he was paid a nominal fee to fly us to altitude in a C-182, but it wasn't much.  I guess that counted for "commercial time."  Our jump pilots were well taken care of, though....he didn't have to buy a single drink when we went out for dinner/drinks at the end of the jumping day.  He would "camp out" at the DZ with the rest of us jumpers all weekend.  If that's not paying your dues, I don't know what is.

Posted · Report post

OK, OSC, you were warned...

Rick was saying that yall (the dispatchers) actually file the flight plan, including cargo, fuel amount, etc.  I assume many of these values are pre-populated in some sort of template?  What about the specific routing?  Do yall do this in coordination with ATC?  For example, I looked on Flightaware.com for one of yall's flights.  I just picked this at random to use for the example:

CO 23, a B739 from EWR to IAH.  The routing is:  LANNA, J48 MOL VXV JAN AEX DAS6

Do yall generate this routing?  I know that "J48" is one of the airways, and I assume that "JAN" means overflying Jackson, MS airport, but what is "DAS6?"  Is this a VOR head? 

How did a 900 series get picked for this particular flight, while earlier in the day a 300 series did the same trip?  I hope I'm not asking for proprietary info, but as you've learned about me, this stuff is really fascinating.

Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Rick was saying that yall (the dispatchers) actually file the flight plan, including cargo, fuel amount, etc.  I assume many of these values are pre-populated in some sort of template?  What about the specific routing?  Do yall do this in coordination with ATC?  For example, I looked on Flightaware.com for one of yall's flights.  I just picked this at random to use for the example:

CO 23, a B739 from EWR to IAH.  The routing is:  LANNA, J48 MOL VXV JAN AEX DAS6

Do yall generate this routing?  I know that "J48" is one of the airways, and I assume that "JAN" means overflying Jackson, MS airport, but what is "DAS6?"  Is this a VOR head? 

How did a 900 series get picked for this particular flight, while earlier in the day a 300 series did the same trip?  I hope I'm not asking for proprietary info, but as you've learned about me, this stuff is really fascinating.

Thanks!

Do you have, like, a week ready for such an in-depth answer?

Put another way.....there's not enough time left today for me to answer this.  They're good questions and I can try to give you reader's digest versions for answers so you'll get the good stuff first...

Posted · Report post

I'm sure that's a TON of typing for you to do.  I didn't get a chance to ask this question at the event last night.  Now if you and Mrs. OSC were doing some power caching in my area, we could hook up and you could talk it instead of type it.  I'd even tell you all you wanted to know about working with dangerous pathogens in return...

::)

Posted · Report post

Thanks!

Flight plans filed with ATC:  after thinking about it, this question is too sensitive to answer without getting in trouble.

There is no pre-populated template.  Flight planning computers use sophisticated algorithms that take into account massive amounts of engineering data, wind and temp data, and other data to produce a flight plan.  That plan can be influenced by user input depending on a variety of conditions.  Anything more than that is, well, again, proprietary.  (You may find some more info on the internet but you'll have to excuse me for wanting to keep my licence and job...I know you didn't mean that when you asked but now you're encountering the limits...  :))

We talk with ATC if necessary.  Why and when, well, proprietary.

The routings:  NOT proprietary because any civil aviation pilot can get that.  JAN is Jackson, MS VOR not the airport.  It may be co-located with an airport but that isn't always the case.  All VOR's are three letters just like an airport.  Today's airplanes don't need ground based radio to navigate (for the most part) because of GPS and INS, etc., but they exist for convention sake.  DAS6 is the Daisetta Six arrival found on a Jeppessen approach plate.  Those can be found online.  HOWEVER, Continental, like most airlines usually have tailored one made specifically to their operation and are, you guessed it, proprietary.  J48 is an airway.  Again, an old convention.  But commonly used.

Why certain airplanes are on certain routes certain times a day?  Take a guess about my answer....most of the time it's common sense.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure why a 777 is the only aircraft to go from EWR to DEL or HKG versus a 737 which would need 4 fuel stops (at least) but why the ones you see go anywhere is MARKETING data....

Posted · Report post

OK, that actually makes a lot of sense to me.  And please know that I totally understand about the sensitive nature of what I was asking.  There are certain procedures for entering our containment labs that I couldn't discuss in open forum, so I do appreciate the info you were able to give.  As is painfully obvious, this is such a fascinating area for me.

I'll buy you a beer (or whatever your preferred beverage is) at the next event.

Thanks again!

O0

Posted · Report post

I just found out last week that my nephew who was a Flight Controler for AA has been transferred to Continental and has been doing some training in Houston the past few weeks.  Is a Flight Controller and a Dispather the same and if not how do they differ?

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to because Dispatchers are specific to each carrier.  When I think of Flight Controller it sounds like ATC....but being transferred from AA to CO sounds like an FAA inspector...which isn't a controller....sorry, I'd need a little more information.

Posted · Report post

I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to because Dispatchers are specific to each carrier.  When I think of Flight Controller it sounds like ATC....but being transferred from AA to CO sounds like an FAA inspector...which isn't a controller....sorry, I'd need a little more information.

Sorry, that's all we got for right now!  Got that information second hand from my brother who lives in Centerville.  I did ask that once he has relocated to our area to please let me know so I can get in contact with him.  I haven't seen this nephew since he was about 4 years old.  :'(

Posted · Report post

So, yesterday some of yall might have noticed that I didn't post anything.  I was busy acting as a bad guy for our local SWAT team training.  It was fun, even though it was hot and humid.  We had lots of water and gatorade, though, and most of us brought plenty of munchies (double stuff Oreos for me).

One thing I can proudly say is that our SWAT team is good!  In one scenario, I was supposed to kill one of the hostages as soon as the team entered the building, but they were so fast I was "shot" (right in the "X-ring," too!) before I had the chance to even aim at the hostage!

No, even as the picture below suggests, we didn't have helicopter support during this exercise, but it's still a cool aviation picture and ties in with what I was doing.

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

So, yesterday some of yall might have noticed that I didn't post anything.  I was busy acting as a bad guy for our local SWAT team training.  It was fun, even though it was hot and humid.  We had lots of water and gatorade, though, and most of us brought plenty of munchies (double stuff Oreos for me).

One thing I can proudly say is that our SWAT team is good!  In one scenario, I was supposed to kill one of the hostages as soon as the team entered the building, but they were so fast I was "shot" (right in the "X-ring," too!) before I had the chance to even aim at the hostage!

No, even as the picture below suggests, we didn't have helicopter support during this exercise, but it's still a cool aviation picture and ties in with what I was doing.

That's really cool Patrick, did the exercise have anything to do with the new biodense lab here at UTMB?

Posted · Report post

No, this SWAT training was part of League City's organization.  League City, Pearland and Alvin have pooled their resources to make a joint response team.

It will be interesting, though, to see what type of scenario training UTMB/Galveston PD will do with the GNL coming online soon.

Posted · Report post

No, this SWAT training was part of League City's organization.  League City, Pearland and Alvin have pooled their resources to make a joint response team.

It will be interesting, though, to see what type of scenario training UTMB/Galveston PD will do with the GNL coming online soon.

Yes it will be interesting, We will have one large lab there and a few offices but none that I am responsible for.  I don't even have access into your building.

Posted · Report post

Come on Patrick... You have to know there is no organization in League City. :)

Posted · Report post

Apparently some of their city council meetings would prove that, Tim.

:2funny:

Posted · Report post

I know... Every time we are feeling too good, we just turn on channel 16, aka "The Dog and Pony Show" and watch the children wildly spend our money.

Actually the fights are pretty cool sometimes. :knuppel2:

Posted · Report post

I couldn't find the old altimeter pic from the blue legend but I did find these two for you, Lefty...

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

Entirely too cool, OSC!  Thanks for posting those!  It's pretty cool to see such a high speed on the GPS, huh?

O0