Lefty Writer

New arrivals and air pigs

705 posts in this topic

I was checking out some details of the new section of the fort bend toll road when I spotted this.  Pretty cool image.  I know what it is, but i don't know why it would have the color shift... I'm assuming it's pretty high up.  I'm guessing that might explain the color shift due to the CCD of the camera that was focused way lower, but I don't know enough about that tech to be sure. 

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.507997,+-95.509987&hl=en&sll=29.507978,-95.510114&sspn=0.000948,0.002064&t=h&z=17

Anyone here able to give an explanation? 

In any case, this is hands down the coolest thing I have discovered on my own in google maps.

1 person likes this

I definitely deserves a cache.  Say, a puzzle based on the heading of the airplane.

Edited by Great Birds

I was checking out some details of the new section of the fort bend toll road when I spotted this. Pretty cool image. I know what it is, but i don't know why it would have the color shift... I'm assuming it's pretty high up. I'm guessing that might explain the color shift due to the CCD of the camera that was focused way lower, but I don't know enough about that tech to be sure. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=29.507997,+-95.509987&hl=en&sll=29.507978,-95.510114&sspn=0.000948,0.002064&t=h&z=17 Anyone here able to give an explanation? In any case, this is hands down the coolest thing I have discovered on my own in google maps.
Very cool. Explanation depends on the camera tech used. In one scenario a grayscale cam shoots through 4 filters, red, green, blue, & luminance, then software composites each image. The interpolation makes several assumptions about various object velocities to correct for most anomalies. In another scenario a 3CCD camera sensor is used but the software syncing the 3 colors is unable to overlay each correctly because shutter speed used to click "earth" in focus but capture sufficient light was too slow to prevent ghosting when each CCD output is composited for storage. Googles highest quality images are actually shot via high flying aircraft. I wonder if they exhibit similar ghosting effects? I bet not since they the can use better (read heavier) faster cameras and optics since weight is much less of a restriction. You may be asking yourself why an AdMan knows this? Turns out I was paying attention in one of those cust tech briefings. They do multi-spectrum aerial inspection. :)

KR, you continue amaze and astound.

Thanks for the camera detail.  I couldn't distinguish a difference at different zoom levels.

I use google earth's history feature to determine that these pictures are dated 10/27/2012.

Nope... I'm pretty sure it was...

tumblr_levnvsbEJm1qe5gse.gif

1 person likes this