Mr. KandRS

PocketPC version

Mr. KandRS    0

Has anyone tried this on a pocket pc?  I'm going to try it on my smartphone to see if it works, but if I post a cache I'm hoping there will be others out there so I can find one too.  The site is pretty vague on what is supported.

HoustonControl    1,044

Jeremy spotted my iQue GPS/PDA when I was at Groundspeak Headquarters last summer and said it would work for Whereigo caches.  Still not sure how it works, though...

HoustonControl    1,044

I downloaded the Whereigo player to my iQue M5 this morning and played the tutorial.  The tutorial, like some of the cartridges, is playable anywhere.  I had to go outside and walk up and down the street a bit to get to virtual locations.  I would liken it to a text and (non-moving) graphics adventure game, but instead of clicking "go to the dungeon", you walk 120 feet west to the dungeon.  Then the cartridge lets you do some other tasks and the game continues.  At the end, I got a completion code that allowed me to log the game online at Whereigo.com.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a Whereigo icon added to my GC profile.  >:(

The tutorial takes about 5 minutes to complete, but it took me 30 minutes because my PDA locked up 4 times while running it.  I don't think all the bugs are worked out yet on the Whereigo player.  ???

HoustonControl    1,044

Well, I did an uninstall and reinstall because I had some folders messed up, then I downloaded another play-anywhere cartridge and it ran fine.

Looking into it a little more, there are Whereigo game cartridges that you can play and log on Whereigo.com, then there is a new Whereigo geocache that involves completing a cartridge and finding a physical cache at the end.  That's what gets you the Whereigo icon on your GC profile.  I'm using the builder now to develop a Whereigo cache that will be (where else) in the Baytown Nature Center.  It should be the first Whereigo cache in Texas!  Then all you Garmin Colorado or GPS-enabled MS PocketPC-powered PDA owners can come find a unique cache!  :D

georeyna    108

GPS-enabled MS PocketPC-powered PDA - as quoted by HC.

We have a Nokia Pocket PC -- will that work?  I am trying to understand whay type of garmin/pocket pc I would need.

HoustonControl    1,044

You need a PDA that runs Windows Mobile 2003, not Palm OS.  Then it needs to be GPS enabled, like the Garmin iQue series, or be connected somehow to a GPS or third-party plug-in GPS antenna to receive the satellite signals.

They seem to be working this thing pretty hard, but there isn't a whole lot out there yet in the way of cartridges or caches.  I few on the West Coast...

Mr. KandRS    0

Windows Mobile 2003 or higher and it must be a touch screen.  A smartphone won't work, or I'd have the first one before HC could get one out there.  They are doing a lot of work on getting this running with a new version of the software every few weeks.  Hopefully smartphone will be along soon.

And a Palm OS version...otherwise they're alienating a bunch of people....there are those out there that are decidedly anti-Microsoft...

We just happen to like the Palm OS, even if they say it's dated...because with touchscreen functionality it's like, well, an iPhone....

It's gonna be awhile before the Colorado makes it way into our hands...maybe if the bugs are gotten out of it and it becomes more stable and user-friendly but the word right now is to wait....

Zephyr01    0

I downloaded the Whereigo player to my iQue M5 this morning and played the tutorial.  The tutorial, like some of the cartridges, is playable anywhere.  I had to go outside and walk up and down the street a bit to get to virtual locations.  I would liken it to a text and (non-moving) graphics adventure game, but instead of clicking "go to the dungeon", you walk 120 feet west to the dungeon.  Then the cartridge lets you do some other tasks and the game continues.  At the end, I got a completion code that allowed me to log the game online at Whereigo.com.  Unfortunately, I didn't get a Whereigo icon added to my GC profile.  >:(

The tutorial takes about 5 minutes to complete, but it took me 30 minutes because my PDA locked up 4 times while running it.  I don't think all the bugs are worked out yet on the Whereigo player.  ???

The locking up is what you are trying to avoid when you setup your program to run on either platform. Since gc suports the colorado, that is the default, therefore you're more likely to have issues on another platform. However, folks getting industrious out there, like yourself and creating them on the other platform will likely have colorado users complaining that it won't work and lock their system up--that's what the SA guy said about his art cache (he did not use a colorado for his and didnt' learn about this until someone in the area with one complained--they teamed up and tested together and have since worked out he multiplatform kinks.

Zephyr

HoustonControl    1,044

The locking up is what you are trying to avoid when you setup your program to run on either platform. Since gc suports the colorado, that is the default, therefore you're more likely to have issues on another platform. However, folks getting industrious out there, like yourself and creating them on the other platform will likely have colorado users complaining that it won't work and lock their system up--that's what the SA guy said about his art cache (he did not use a colorado for his and didnt' learn about this until someone in the area with one complained--they teamed up and tested together and have since worked out he multiplatform kinks.

Zephyr

Since I typed that, they've updated the Whereigo player at least twice.  I haven't had any more lockup issues, just some it-takes-a-long-time-for-the-next-screen-to-appear issues that seem to be related mostly to the size of image files.  I've emailed back and forth with Roger (FoxFireX) and he stressed the need to test vigorously.  He's helped me some with the cartridge, but it's apparent his programming skills are way above mine.

Zephyr01    0

Zephyr

Since I typed that, they've updated the Whereigo player at least twice.  I haven't had any more lockup issues, just some it-takes-a-long-time-for-the-next-screen-to-appear issues that seem to be related mostly to the size of image files.  I've emailed back and forth with Roger (FoxFireX) and he stressed the need to test vigorously.  He's helped me some with the cartridge, but it's apparent his programming skills are way above mine.

He seemed to have a lot of info and I think all their experience and working together (sev of them in SA area) on this has given them a good bit of insite on avoiding issues with it.  He was a nice guy too!

Zephyr

Mr. KandRS    0

Well, I have found a way for myself to do some WherIGo caching.  There is a program called OpenWig that runs the cartridges in Java, allowing more systems to use it.  This lets it work on my Blackjack II.  Now all I need is a nice cache nearby.  Its certainly not perfect, but it seems to work on the few I've tried.  I may be placing a cache soon to encourage more.

HoustonControl    1,044

I have a Wherigo cache in Baytown -- it just isn't published yet.  Of course, I placed it back in June....  :-\

Maybe this will prompt me to finish the cartridge. ::)

ggmorton    4

I ordered one of those new fangled Garmin Oregons.

I'll be investigating the Wherigo caches more after the holidays.

Come on UPS man, get here so I can play with my new toy!!!  :)

georeyna    108

I have a Wherigo cache in Baytown -- it just isn't published yet.  Of course, I placed it back in June....  :-\

FINISH THE CARTRIDGE!!  :):angel:

Hey Elisa, why don't you do one?  You've got a Colorado, you should be able to do it....  O0

georeyna    108

Hey Elisa, why don't you do one?  You've got a Colorado, you should be able to do it....  O0

Yea, but you know me, I like to find and not hide!!  I will look into it but it will probably be up to a year or never before it gets published!!  :)

HoustonControl    1,044

Now I'm having problems just getting the Wherigo Player to run at all.  I start it and it hangs up on "Auto Detecting Gps..."  I found out today I didn't even have the latest version of the player installed, so I downloaded the latest (version 2.11 - 5/29/08) and installed it, but I'm still having troubles with it finding the GPS.  Frustrating...

Jarihend    0

I have a Motorola Q Smartphone ans whereigo will not work on it. I have been thinking about an Iphone 3g. Does anyone know if it will work.

I have a Motorola Q Smartphone ans whereigo will not work on it. I have been thinking about an Iphone 3g. Does anyone know if it will work.

Even if it doesn't it looks like (and sounds like from Elisa) that the Geocaching application for it is great!  That being said, and maybe Elisa could elaborate on it, an Apple product probably does not run a Windows Mobile operating system, and if not, no Whereigo.

Our Treos are the Palm version and they won't run it and that's fine for now....

HoustonControl    1,044

KandRS uses OpenWIG on his smartphone.  It's supposed to work on any java enabled J2ME smartphone (with GPS).  I'm not sure how to tell if your phone has these capabilities.

Since GC.com colluded on developing the geocaching app for the smartphone, it would make sense that a Wherigo app would follow, eventually.  If Wherigo players were available for smartphones, iphones, ipods, etc, that would sure help with enabling more people to play around with it without having to lay out a bunch of $$$ for another device.  I just happened to have the iQue and (sorta) works with it or I would never have gotten involved in the first place.

KandRS uses OpenWIG on his smartphone.  It's supposed to work on any java enabled J2ME smartphone (with GPS).  I'm not sure how to tell if your phone has these capabilities.

Since GC.com colluded on developing the geocaching app for the smartphone, it would make sense that a Wherigo app would follow, eventually.  If Wherigo players were available for smartphones, iphones, ipods, etc, that would sure help with enabling more people to play around with it without having to lay out a bunch of $$$ for another device.  I just happened to have the iQue and (sorta) works with it or I would never have gotten involved in the first place.

Was trying to research whether OpenWIG would work on a Treo...it doesn't have a built in GPS though...anyway, Coyote Red said it best:

And then compare to the already installed user-base of the Palm users...

Of course, not all Palm devices are capable of GPS use. That thought, IMHO, would inspire the thought to allow creation of cartridges that doesn't need GPS use. You should be able to create cartridges right now that don't require GPS coordinates to work. The only thing is making the player work without it.

"What good would that be?" one may ask. Paperless puzzles. "Go here. Answer this question." You don't need the device sensing where it is in the real world to do this.

Add a function to the scripting to allow branching depending on the unit receiving GPS coordinates and you could create a cartridge that does both GPS and GPS-less adventures. Hey, that would help in areas with poor or no GPS signal.

Make the player run on older Palm OSes and you'd have a massive user-base. A massive user-base would (should), in turn, translate into a large database of cartridges. That would be even more incentive for new users to play. This sort of vicious cycle is a good thing.

Just a thought.