JaMPrindle

Base Color for Camo

Hey yall,

What base color paint do you start with when camoing your caches.  I have flat black, camo gray, and camo green.  Also any tips when painting?

JaM

Hey yall,

What base color paint do you start with when camoing your caches.  I have flat black, camo gray, and camo green.  Also any tips when painting?

JaM

I would think the green would be best since it is already close to the ammo can.

But this site recommends using the lightest color which would be gray.

http://www.agspecialty.com/CamoHow.htm

Hey yall,

JaM

OSC has got some of the best camo out there.

Thanks for the hint OSC ;)

Like SP, I go with an olive green base on ammo cans to cover up the yellow writing and such, since they're already green to start with.  Then I add colors to match the flora of the area I'm going to be hiding it in.

On plastic containers such as lock-n-locks, I start with a coat of Krylon Fusion paint specifically for plastics.  The can I have is beige, so my base coat for plastic containers is beige.  ;)

Not really a recommendation for a base coat but I did use that textured paint as a base on Pooh's happy home then followed with some flat black and brown. The texture adds to the element of camo. Or at least I think so... However Pooh's happy home is pretty much out in the open which doesn't really aid in being hidden.

Like SP, I go with an olive green base on ammo cans to cover up the yellow writing and such, since they're already green to start with. 

Maybe we put too much effort into it but we sand the yellow letters off with an electric sander first.

Saves on paint. (That stuff gets expensive in a hurry.)

We generally tape the body of a lock and lock and use a drab green base coat (that krylon stuff) for the lid.  See pics.  (Sorry about the dust on the lid...we must be falling behind on getting caches out there...we have a decent inventory of containers, hence the backlog  :o)

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

I picked up some Krylon Fusion OD green today @ wally world.... :)  I'll put the base coat on to see how it looks then play from there. :D