OneStepCloser

Wherigo - In the Beginning

Thanks, GQ for the area!

Has anyone else looked at the page?  We saw that aggiejwp asked about Palm hardware and Jeremy said they are looking into getting it to work with it.

After having read the site FAQ and all, it's still a little confusing what exactly it's all about.

It's almost like some kind of interactive role playing game or something like it.

Anyone else have an idea?

Team Four Paw    358

My guess is it's some type of video or text based game that runs on your Colorado or PocketPC. Within the game are real world waypoints. You interact with the game by going to the waypoints some how.

People will develop game "cartridges" and some will be free and some will be pay to play.

Sam's 1geocacher game/cache comes to mind.

Mr. KandRS    0

I'm going to try to set this up on my Blackjack II and see how it works.  If it works well then maybe I'll post one on the site.

AggieJWP    4

My guess is it's some type of video or text based game that runs on your Colorado or PocketPC. Within the game are real world waypoints. You interact with the game by going to the waypoints some how.

People will develop game "cartridges" and some will be free and some will be pay to play.

Sam's 1geocacher game/cache comes to mind.

I have a feeling it's going to be more like overly active virtuals.

Mr. KandRS    0

I plan on making some that are more like a multi virtual.  You could even have an actual cache at the end for a double smiley.

Zephyr01    0

Anyone going to the WereIgo event coming up in SA? I'll already be there that weekend, so I'm going!  O0

HoustonControl    1,044

Anyone going to the WereIgo event coming up in SA? I'll already be there that weekend, so I'm going!  O0

Aw nuts!  I can't go.  We're going to SA in two weeks for a couple of days and I do plan on finding at least one of the two Whereigo caches that are there then.

I'm still working on my Whereigo cartridge, but I've hit a stumbling block I've got to push through.  :-\

georeyna    108

Aw nuts!  I can't go.  We're going to SA in two weeks for a couple of days and I do plan on finding at least one of the two Whereigo caches that are there then.

I'm still working on my Whereigo cartridge, but I've hit a stumbling block I've got to push through.  :-\

HC, why don't you host a WhereIGo Event to introduce the community to the latest craze of geocaching?

HoustonControl    1,044

HC, why don't you host a WhereIGo Event to introduce the community to the latest craze of geocaching?

Well, maybe some day.  Right now, I'm in the neophyte noobie stage when it comes to Whereigo.  I'm not a programmer and the Whereigo builder is in Alpha release (It's not even Beta yet).  Lots of bugs still being worked out...

I have it on my watchlist and I am seriously thinking about making it a camping-caching-event weekend.  BUT you know how reliable I am at events...so we will just have to wait until it gets a little bit closer to the date.

Thot    57

Is there a brief and reasonably clear explanation of wherigo?  Since apparently it's associated with geocaching, maybe a comparison to traditional geocaching would do. 

Is there a brief and reasonably clear explanation of wherigo?  Since apparently it's associated with geocaching, maybe a comparison to traditional geocaching would do. 

Pseudo-virtuals with a smidge of total interactive immersion...at least the way we understand it at first blush.....instead of caches its cartridges....

HoustonControl    1,044

Actually, there are two separate entities.  Wherigo cartridges are little virtual "games" that you download and play on your GPS-enabled PPC or Garmin Colorado.  I compared it to a simple PC based adventure game like Zork, but instead of typing, "GOTO the Dungeon", you walk 150 feet east to the dungeon.  That's probably real simplistic and I'm sure there are creative folks out there that can make them a lot more entertaining than that, but the tutorial I downloaded and played was somewhat like that.  There are cartridges specific to certain locations and there are "play anywhere" cartridges.  When you complete a cartridge, you can log it on the Wherigo site using a completion code you are given at the end.

In addition (since February), there are now Whereigo Caches -- you download a location-specific cartridge, play it, and are directed to a physical cache at the end.  That's what I'm trying to put together for the BNC, if I ever get time to finish it.

Thot    57

Those two replies, especially in combination make it perfectly clear.  :2funny:  :D:2funny::D

Thot    57

Just for clarification.  Is PPC

Professional Photographers of California

Project Performance Corporation

Pay per click

production possibilities curve

or

Pilgrim's Pride Corp.

::)

HoustonControl    1,044

Just for clarification.  Is PPC

Professional Photographers of California

Project Performance Corporation

Pay per click

production possibilities curve

or

Pilgrim's Pride Corp.

::)

Or Pocket PC -- Windows Mobile powered PDA. :)

HoustonControl    1,044

I found a Whereigo cache in San Antonio this afternoon.  It was the only cache I did all weekend.  Playing the cartridge was fun, but it would've been more fun if it hadn't been 95 degrees out!

Got a new icon added to my profile!!!  Woo Hoo!!!!

georeyna    108

It seemed like quite a few people had the Colorado this weekend in Wheatland California.  The owners seemed pretty pleased aswell.

I found a Whereigo cache in San Antonio this afternoon.  It was the only cache I did all weekend.  Playing the cartridge was fun, but it would've been more fun if it hadn't been 95 degrees out!

Got a new icon added to my profile!!!  Woo Hoo!!!!

So, HC, in layman's terms, what the heck did you do?  Can you describe the process a little better since you've done one now?  Thanks!  O0

AggieJWP    4

It's too bad the units lack some key functionality....

I heard they fixed alot of the functionality issues with the last software update