Many 60CSx Questions (more later)

346 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I haven't tested, but is the protocol on the 60 set to Garmin?

I went to the interface screen.  It seemed to be setup correctly and then I plugged the cable in, and it connected.  It now works.  Strange.  Very Strange.  :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Posted · Report post

When I went to TC08 I deleted all the waypoints in my 60 CSx.  The first time I reloaded them from GSAK I forgot to use a filter to eliminate "founds" & I got an error message on it that said "Waypoint memory full".  I haven't had much time to cache since then, but plan to this weekend.  Today I deleted all waypoints & used a filtered list out of GSAK to do so.  GSAK said the transfer was successful, but when I look on the 60 I only see 52 waypoints.  I had the same problem with the Garmin 76 CSx I started with.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the problem is?  :-[

Posted · Report post

When I went to TC08 I deleted all the waypoints in my 60 CSx.  The first time I reloaded them from GSAK I forgot to use a filter to eliminate "founds" & I got an error message on it that said "Waypoint memory full".  I haven't had much time to cache since then, but plan to this weekend.  Today I deleted all waypoints & used a filtered list out of GSAK to do so.  GSAK said the transfer was successful, but when I look on the 60 I only see 52 waypoints.  I had the same problem with the Garmin 76 CSx I started with.  Does anyone know what I am doing wrong or what the problem is?  :-[

How many waypoints did GSAK say were available for transfer after applying the filter?

Posted · Report post

When you say you only see 52, does that mean you moved down using the down arrow until it wouldn't go any farther?  It will only show about 50-60 that way.  I'm not sure how to tell how many it has but try looking up a few by name and I think you'll find they're all there.

Posted · Report post

You continue to be awesome! When I searched by cache name they were all there!  But, what is the deal with that?  :-[

Posted · Report post

The default find routine is to find by nearest.  It limits the search to speed up the process.  Find by name just limits the search by other criteria. 

Posted · Report post

I do have to calibrate it quite often though.

My electronic compass needs calibrating more often than I than I think it should.  It is also not as accurate as it should be.  I find that turning it off while moving gives a more accurate pointer. 

I recently got a 60CSx.  Yesterday was the first time I have used it for more than a quick grab on the way from one place to another.  I was doing a 21 cache series & on three of them (not consecutive) the needle just went crazy!  On one it would point to one side of the road then when I got there it would point back to the other side & no, the numbers weren't zeroing out in the middle of the road, not even close.  I recalibrated but still got the same results.  Frustrated I gave up on that one. On the next couple it operated perfectly.  Then it goes crazy again.  The needle was swinging wildly & at one point it was pointing 180 degrees from the direction I was walking, but the numbers were dropping.  Recalibrated again  >:( & noticed the battery power was getting low so changed the batteries & recalibrated AGAIN. Seemed to be working okay for the next few then started doing weird things again.  Finally finished the series & moved out of the area.  The rest of the day it seemed to work just fine.  After reading several pages of posts about the electric compass I have now turned it off.  Could that have been the problem?  If not anyone have any ideas as to what was causing this weird & extremely frustrating behavior?

Posted · Report post

After reading several pages of posts about the electric compass I have now turned it off.  Could that have been the problem?

I doubt it

Posted · Report post

Certainly... I very rairly use the electronic compass.

Posted · Report post

If the calibration is off on the compass (frequent occurance) it could be pointing behind you as head towards a cache in front of you.  I've had mine do that and turning off the electronic compass seems to fix it.  If I do use the electronic compass, it's only after calibrating it and then only when I'm very near the cache and moving slowly.

Posted · Report post

Sounds like the electronic compass alright...there's a few ways to turn it off....one requires doing it every time you start up, one way leaves it on but makes it virtually impossible for it to go off....and that is under Setup -->  Heading -->  "Switch to compass heading when below:"  Change that to 0mph for more than 180 seconds.  That way if you sit still for more than three minutes it will activate....

Garmin should have made it easier to disable. 

Oh well, not everything can be perfect.....just really close!  O0

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys! I read my owners manual & went to the compass page. I did as instructed & held the page button down for a couple of seconds & got the message "compass off".  Acording to the book, it will stay off until I manually turn it back on.  Is that right?

Posted · Report post

If the calibration is off on the compass (frequent occurance) it could be pointing behind you as head towards a cache in front of you.  I've had mine do that and turning off the electronic compass seems to fix it.  If I do use the electronic compass, it's only after calibrating it and then only when I'm very near the cache and moving slowly.

I assumed she was using the mock compass.  The feature that's on models without an electronic compass.  Are you saying the electronic compass can interfere with the mock compass?

Posted · Report post

Acording to the book, it will stay off until I manually turn it back on.  Is that right?

Yes, unless maybe something happens after the battery has been removed for a very long time.  Some devices hold their settings with an internal device that can finally run out of energy.  Some (all?) digital cameras do that.  I don't think this unit does that but I've never checked. 

Posted · Report post

Thanks guys! I read my owners manual & went to the compass page. I did as instructed & held the page button down for a couple of seconds & got the message "compass off".  Acording to the book, it will stay off until I manually turn it back on.  Is that right?

See that, we thought you had to do it every time you turned the thing on....  reading the owner's manual would help....( I can hear Mrs. OSC saying that right now....)

Thanks for clarifying that!  O0

Posted · Report post

I assumed she was using the mock compass.  The feature that's on models without an electronic compass.  Are you saying the electronic compass can interfere with the mock compass?

I never got a clarification on this.  I doesn't matter much since I never use the real compass or the mock compass -- they stay permanently turned off.  But, I'm curious.  It doesn't make sense to me that the real compass could interfere with the mock compass.  I think of them as entirely independent things.

Posted · Report post

They don't necessarily interfere with one another, it is just that they both share the same display.  The GPSr will show the mag compass direction if it is on.  If the mag compass is turned off the display looks just the same but the direction for the compass display is provided by the motion of the GPSr. 

I use the mag compass regularly but occasionally it will send me off in the wrong direction for no apparent reason.  Other times, like when the receiver is on my bike handlebar, the mag compass is misdirecting for a known reason, so I turn it off when riding.  It is also seems flakey when I get out of the car to find a cache, but like the handlebar, the metal of the car would throw it off.

Posted · Report post

By mock compass, do you mean the bearing indicator on the GOTO screen that works off of the GPS signal?

My belief is that the electronic magnetic compass "overrides", to some extent, this mock compass, especially when standing still or moving slowly.  This can be handy to keep the indicator steady when you're not moving, or tree cover is causing a spotty signal.  My old GPS60 didn't have the compass feature (or the SIRF antenna) and would gyrate wildly when I got in the deep woods.  I got to where I ignored which way it was pointing and used the magnetic compass in the end of my hiking pole to determine which way was which and where to concentrate my search for the cache.

If the calibration for the magnetic compass gets off, or you're not holding the unit level, it can decide that you are headed east, when you are actually walking west.  If the cache is to your west, the arrow on the display will point behind you, even though the distance to destination is counting down.  Turning off the magnetic compass alleviates this condition.

The 60 CSx is still new to me, so someone correct me if I'm wrong. :P

Posted · Report post

Speaking of holding it level... on a 60 is that vertical or horizontal level?  I know on the 76 it is vertical.

Posted · Report post

Speaking of holding it level... on a 60 is that vertical or horizontal level?  I know on the 76 it is vertical.

Horizontal

Posted · Report post

Thanks!  Thant's what I thought.  I meant horizontal on the 76.

Posted · Report post

By mock compass, do you mean the bearing indicator on the GOTO screen that works off of the GPS signal?

Yes, but it has been made confusing on the 60CSx by it doing dual use.  So for clarity it's this screen on the eTrex.

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

What's a good price for a 60CSx now?  Ebay vs. Retail?  ???

PCNation.com has them for $297.80 with free shipping.

Posted · Report post

I bought my 60CSx about a month ago on Ebay.  Other than weird stuff going on with the needle last weekend it's been great.  The other day when I was trying to select what fields I wanted to see on the "go to" page I noticed that when I went to the geocaching page it said "None found". I didn't remember deleting them but was intent on another project so didn't really pay attention just did it on the waymark page.  Since I am planning to go caching this weekend & I had a couple of free minutes at work yesterday I tried to down load them from GSAK.  Still "None Found" on the geocache page, although GSAK didn't give me any errors.  They were all there on the 'find waymark" page, but I wasn't sure it was from this download or a previous one.  So, thinking I might have somehow set my home coords somewhere far away, I marked my current location but still nothing. Today, I deleted all the waymarks & up/down loaded from GSAK again.  All the caches are there in "find waymark" but in the "find geocaches" it still says "none found".  So, anybody khow what the deal is?  This is my first purchase on Ebay, so I'm thinking maybe I got..... had?  Then again, I may just be clueless.  :-\