Many 60CSx Questions (more later)

346 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Now another question.

How do I get rid of the pseudo compass screen -- the screen a lot of people use to point to the cache.  I don't  use this screen, but it's always in my way and I have to toggle screens to get away from it.

I've turned it off in the settings and it doesn't normally show, but  >:(every time>:( I choose a new cache to go to this damn screen comes up and I have to find the button and click it away ----- baaaaa humbug. >:( >:(>:( >:(>:(

Posted · Report post

Not sure about that one.  I think it's a firmware default to switch to the pointer screen after you have selected a waypoint.

Posted · Report post

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them. 

Nothing changed other than any changes made to the cache (new coordiantes, etc.).  It's just an update.  I have a local set I update regularly and  a larger set I update less frequently.  Unfortunately, since it doesn't use the same space and a full set nearly fills the gadget, I have to recombine the sets, use the gadget to erase all (because garmin doesn't have a software erase feature, booooo) then readd them all -- very clumsy and annoying.

We found that if we upload identical caches it adds it with a number 1, thus making a mess.

We just delete all unfound caches prior to updating the unit with new caches.  It doesn't take too long to do the whole operation.

Posted · Report post

How do I get rid of the pseudo compass screen -- the screen a lot of people use to point to the cache.  I don't  use this screen, but it's always in my way and I have to toggle screens to get away from it.

I've turned it off in the settings and it doesn't normally show, but  >:(every time>:( I choose a new cache to go to this damn screen comes up and I have to find the button and click it away ----- baaaaa humbug. >:( >:(>:( >:(>:(

Sputnik (a Houston cacher) on gc.com had the answer:

Go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use).

Apparently it uses the treasure chest icon to tell which waypoints are caches.  So, if it thinks another icon is caches it doesn't throw up the pseudo compass screen, and instead goes to the first screen in your list of screens -- exactly what I want.

Posted · Report post

Sputnik (a Houston cacher) on gc.com had the answer:

Go into the unit setup under geocaching mode and change the icon there to something else (one that you normally don't use).

Apparently it uses the treasure chest icon to tell which waypoints are caches.  So, if it thinks another icon is caches it doesn't throw up the pseudo compass screen, and instead goes to the first screen in your list of screens -- exactly what I want.

So if you don't use the compass screen, how to you find caches?

Posted · Report post

So if you don't use the compass screen, how to you find caches?

I'm so glad you asked.  If you're serious go here

But, I'm ashamed of you for not reading my Beginner's Guide, which is prominently mentioned in the Home dropdown of this illustrious website and in the tagline of each and every one of my messages. :police:

Posted · Report post

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.  For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier.  I was just walking around with a group of friends this past week that were trying to read a very easy street map and were having problems with it.  I certainly wouldn't have turned them to the map screen.  The arrow is so much easier.  I personally use the map to get to about the last 500' from the cache and then switch over to the arrow for the final approach to the cache.  (BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide).  If the map works best for you, then stick with it though.  Everyone needs to use the tools that are easiest for themselves. 

Posted · Report post

(BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide). 

I'm sorry, but if you use a Magellan how would you know there's not an issue using the Map in a Garmin?

Posted · Report post

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.  For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier. 

I was a rank beginner when I wrote that and immediately found the map more informative and easier to orient myself and know how close to the cache I am. 

If you follow the instructions on that page you don't have to turn maps in any direction.  The map always points in the direction you are moving and shows the cache in relation to you and the direction you are going.

GPSscreen.gif

Posted · Report post

I would have thought that the "mock compass" would be the easiest for a beginner to use rather than the map screen.   For those of us that are a bit map challenged and have to turn our maps in the direction we are going, the arrow is so much easier.   

I was a rank beginner when I wrote that and immediately found the map more informative and easier to orient myself and know how close to the cache I am. 

If you follow the instructions on that page you don't have to turn maps in any direction.  The map always points in the direction you are moving and shows the cache in relation to you and the direction you are going.

GPSscreen.gif

I have my map set as north always facing up.  To use the map in the way that you mention, I'd have to reset my map display to course up.    I prefer to know what direction I'm headed.  It's just a personal preference for this simple mind.  I have read very little of your guide because by the time it came around, I was no longer considering myself a beginner.  I'm sure that there is stuff in your guide that I could learn from, but since what I'm using is working for me, I think that I'll just stick with it. 

Posted · Report post

(BTW, I use a Magellan and not a Garmin, so it's not a Garmin issue that is referred to in the Beginner's guide).   

I'm sorry, but if you use a Magellan how would you know there's not an issue using the Map in a Garmin?

I think that you missed what I was trying to say.  I was referring to your sidebar...

Sidebar:  In the first release of this article I said "don't use the compass."  I got flack from many cachers with much more experience than I have who rely on the compass the way I rely on the Map.  I haven't been able to understand why they prefer it --  perhaps the Map screen isn't as useful on Garmin units.  But I know this, it's a mistake to ignore the weight of that kind of experience.  So, now I say, you need to figure out which display works best for you.

I was just trying to say that it's not just a Garmin user that might disagree with you because I'm a Magellan user and I disagreed with this method too.  Your last sentence says it best though...figure out which display works best for you. 

Posted · Report post

Well, as much as I have checked your pages, I'll admit that we (OSC, the team) prefer to let the compass get us close and use our native visual receptor devices (our EYES) and intuition find the cache.  ;)

The more we've cached the less reliance on keeping the head in the unit.

Posted · Report post

Well, as much as I have checked your pages, I'll admit that we (OSC, the team) prefer to let the compass get us close and use our native visual receptor devices (our EYES) and intuition find the cache.  ;)

From my beginners guide:

Believe your GPSr, but don’t be slaved to it. When you get within 20-30  feet (6-10 meters), -- maybe a little more -- start looking around for where it might be hidden.  Many beginners either depend too much on the GPSr, or don’t trust it enough. Either is a mistake. 

Posted · Report post

The downside to using the map to find the cache is with using older units.  When I was using our blue Garmin I tried to use the map to find caches, but the unit was so slow I got sick of waiting for it to update the map.  I would use the map to get a general idea of where the cache was, but I mainly use the arrow once I get with in 200' - 300' or so.  When I'm down to 10 - 15' or so I go into the mode of, if I was hiding this cache were would I put it.

JaM

Posted · Report post

Question 453,242,233 in my ongoing series. 

When I tried to scroll down the list looking for a waypoint this afternoon it seemed to only scroll down to a limited number of waypoints -- maybe 2-3 screens worth.  I have almost 1000 caches in from the entire City, but it stopped listing caches at about 5 miles from where I was.  Is this how it's supposed to work or am I doing something wrong?

Posted · Report post

Yes, That is how it is designed to work. If you going to be looking for a cache in particular and not just the nearest 20 then switch to find by name and start typing the first few characters of the cache until you find it. You can also select caches from the maps screen too. Just pan the cursor to the waypoint you're looking for until a dialog pops up. Then press enter.

Posted · Report post

thanks 

Actually I wouldn't remember the name until I saw it.

Posted · Report post

Okay, I'm back. 

The batteries just gave a "low" popup, so I replaced them with a fresh pair.  The thing then gave a "the battery is too low to use backlight" popup.  I changed to another fresh pair.  The unit would not come on.  Another pair -- same story.  I have 5 pairs of NiMH rechargeables, only the first pair I removed was discharged one (using it in the unit).  The last pair (a much older and one, recharged many times (the other 4 pairs are fairly new) finally worked.  But, when the backlight comes on it flickers continuously.  This behavior confuses me.

Second problem:

Is there any way to stop that tiny black SD chip from falling out nearly every time I change batteries?  I've almost lost it in the grass. 

Posted · Report post

I am not sure what is going on with the batteries and back light, but there is a silver piece that he micro SD card "slips" under....you should be able to slide that piece and "lock" the card in-place

Posted · Report post

Thanks.  Yes, I've done that several times.  I never really feel it "snap" into place and it keeps coming loose.

Posted · Report post

Thanks.  Yes, I've done that several times.  I never really feel it "snap" into place and it keeps coming loose.

Call Garmin and explain the problem.  It sounds like you need to get a replacement unit if you've got these two issues going on...

Posted · Report post

I'll consider that -- problem is I'll be without for a while if I do it.

The unit seems to work fine when the battery change is finally done.  Well . . ., except for the flickering backlight.

Edited to add the qualification

Posted · Report post

Another question:

How do others typically turn the backlight on?  I press the enter key

Posted · Report post

Another question:

How do others typically turn the backlight on?  I press the enter key

I press the power button to turn the back light on for my receiver. 

With the batteries, have you checked the settings for the battery?  If they are set for alkaline and you put in rechargeables, the receiver will not get the voltage it is expecting.