Many 60CSx Questions (more later)

346 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Another in what will probably my endless series of question. ;D

Doesn't the unit come with a SD card?  Every other device I have that uses a memory card came with one (albeit often a small one).  If the 60CSx comes with one I haven't found it.

Posted · Report post

Yes it comes with a small 64Mb one if I remember correctly.

Posted · Report post

That's confusing given my understanding of how WAAS works.

As I understand it WAAS satellites send a table that contains correction data for all GPSs for which signals are available in your area.  If the GPSr gets the WAAS table why wouldn't it correct all GPSs it's using to calculate position?  Thus, all you need to know is if it's acquired the table.  ???

Not sure on this one... Maybe WAAS can only correct certain sats...  *shrug*

A 64MB micro SD is included with the unit.  It's located under the batteries.

Posted · Report post

A 64MB micro SD is included with the unit.  It's located under the batteries.

Thanks.  That explains it.  The picture in the manual is unclear.  Combine this with the fact that I thought I knew what a small SD card looked like and I didn't, further combined with the fact that when you look at the little flip lid it doesn't look like a memory card of any kind.

Posted · Report post

I would like to pack as much descriptive information as practical into the device.

Do the GSAK defaults do this?  If not, can anybody point me to a page that describes how to set GSAK up for the 60CSx?

Posted · Report post

there is a limit to what GSAK sends to the unit's data field.  If the cache description isn't too long you can usually get the name of the cache, the hider, and the terrain and difficulty.  But it has its limits.  Come to think about it, I don't know for sure if that can be expanded upon in the unit or if GSAK does anything different.  All I know is that I set GSAK up to read a USB capable unit.  I'm not using the latest version (7) so I don't know if there has been any changes.

Posted · Report post

Something I read made me thing the field size in the 60C is greater than previous/other Garmin models and therefore can store more characters.  I'm just a vague on this, but I  have a fuzzy belief that the length of the string GSAK sends is configurable.

Let's say other Garmins can only store 10 characters and the 60C can store 14.  By changing the GSAK set up you may be able to use all 14.

Posted · Report post

I want to say that the 60CSx allows 25 or 30 characters for the description.  Here's the format I use when I export to mine.  The format below works pretty well except on caches with long names.  The character limit only applies to the waypoint name.  I use the GC code.

%Name=15-%By=11 (%Dif1a/%Ter1a)

The 1st 15 characters of the name of the cache

The 1st 11 characters of the cacher

The Difficulty & Terrain in single character form... 1 = 1, 1.5=A, 2=2, 2.5=B etc...

Posted · Report post

That's the number of characters I could fit on the unit.

I didn't know you could configure GSAK to add more characters.

It's Good to learn something new every day!

Now to check into that!

[House cleaning - attachment deleted by admin]

Posted · Report post

The Difficulty & Terrain in single character form... 1 = 1, 1.5=A, 2=2, 2.5=B etc...

That's exactly the sort of thing I meant.  Thanks

Posted · Report post

When you are in the GPS send screen in GSAK click on the help.  There's a page in the help that lists all of the variables and what can be done with them.

JaM

Posted · Report post

In the waypoint name field when sending with GSAK I use %smart. When setting up Gsak under tools, options, I have smart name length set to 15. you could set the output way point name as %smart=6, saving a few characters for other info.

In the description field when sending by GSAK I use: %hint %children %smart%c_Prefix

You will get some portion of the hint, if there is one. everything else will load child way points such as trail head, parking, etc: The list is endless as what you can send. look at the special tags in the help files.

POI's: Love them. You can download several macros pertaining to poi's. Some will break a long hint into parts where you can have it all on the GPS. Custom icons also come with that. It isn't very hard to set up and since there isn't a 44 character limit on poi's a lot more info can be displayed.

If you haven't downloaded Gamin's POI free loader, you should have a look at it. With caches loaded this way, the PDA comes out of my pocket a whole lot less, decreasing the chance of lose or damage.

Posted · Report post

I want to say that the 60CSx allows 25 or 30 characters for the description.  Here's the format I use when I export to mine.  The format below works pretty well except on caches with long names.  The character limit only applies to the waypoint name.  I use the GC code.

Wow, that worked pretty well!  Thanks!

Posted · Report post

He's baaaaaaak

Really, I do look in the manual before posting -- really!  I searched the manual.  It does not contain the word "sort."

By default caches are listed in order of distance from your current location (nearest first, etc.).  Occasionally I need to find one by name.  How do I sort the list of caches alphabetically by name?

Posted · Report post

When viewing the caches in order by distance.. hit menu, choose find by name.

Posted · Report post

By the way, here are the pros and cons I see to the 60CSx vs my SporTrack Pro:

Though I haven't yet seen much improvement in location performance in this unit over my Maggie, it has some bells and whistles I like. 

Pros:

• The biggest improvement is the USB connection.  Comm port is a real pain and sloooooow.
  • The increased number of caches it will hold is also very nice and one of the reasons I bought it (though I thought it held more without using the card).
  • I really like the direct download of a cache's coordinates. 
  • The easier battery change-out is another plus.

Cons:

• It doesn't let GSAK erase/flush the existing waypoint load/set when refreshing it -- I have to do that 
  • It doesn't start coordinate averaging automatically when I stop moving.

That's about it for the way I use a GPSr.  Was all that worth $350?  I'm not sure.

If I think of other advantages I'll come back and list them.

Posted · Report post

Does GSAK or the Maggie give you the option to select which type of waypoints to delete?

-I like the 60cs because when you go to delete the waypoints you can delete waypoints by symbol and not clear the whole unit. A little extra functionality and control it seems which I like.

Garmin is so good it doesn't need to average..  :D  sorry.. I couldn't resist.

Although evertime I've averaged the coordinates didn't change much from when I started it.

FYI, hitting the menu button twice on any given screen/page will take you to the main menu.

Hitting the menu button once on a given screen/page will give you the options for that screen/page. So if you were on the altimeter page, hitting the menu button once will give you options pertaining to the altimeter.

Posted · Report post

When viewing the caches in order by distance.. hit menu, choose find by name.

Thanks. 

Posted · Report post

Does GSAK or the Maggie give you the option to select which type of waypoints to delete?

-I like the 60cs because when you go to delete the waypoints you can delete waypoints by symbol and not clear the whole unit. A little extra functionality and control it seems which I like.

I'm guessing you could do that in GSAK.  As far as I know you can't do it in the SporTrack, but it's a feature I haven't realized a value for yet so I've never tried to do it.

FYI, hitting the menu button twice on any given screen/page will take you to the main menu.

Hitting the menu button once on a given screen/page will give you the options for that screen/page. So if you were on the altimeter page, hitting the menu button once will give you options pertaining to the altimeter.

I knew that from when I first got it and was setting it up, but I'd forgotten it.  That popup menu feature is nice too.

Posted · Report post

You can also find by symbol, too....and I mentioned this in another thread...if you go to the calendar and enter the day, you can see the caches you did in the order you did them!  For the picky people (like us, er me, the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...) that's a plus!

Posted · Report post

. . the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...

Hmm . . .  She's right. ;)

Posted · Report post

. . the other half of the team thinks I'm nutty about it...and she's correct...

Hmm . . .   She's right. ;)

;D

;D

Posted · Report post

Here I go again.

When you resend the same set of waypoints that are already in the unit, does it put them in a separate place, thus using more memory?  Spec says it will hold 1000.  I had about 800 in it.  I refreshed about 200 of these 800 and began getting a "Waypoint Memory Full" message.  If it reused the space originally occupied by these same waypoints it should not have increased the memory used at all.

Posted · Report post

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them.  If anything in the name of the cache was different it will treat them as waypoints.  I use the GC code as the name to make sure it's the same all the time and then use my custom description.

JaM

Posted · Report post

If you used the exact format to send the same waypoints to your unit then it should of updated them. 

Nothing changed other than any changes made to the cache (new coordiantes, etc.).  It's just an update.  I have a local set I update regularly and  a larger set I update less frequently.  Unfortunately, since it doesn't use the same space and a full set nearly fills the gadget, I have to recombine the sets, use the gadget to erase all (because garmin doesn't have a software erase feature, booooo) then readd them all -- very clumsy and annoying.