Sign in to follow this  
Red Eye Rebels

Impromptu Event this weekend

5SH and I have been chatting back and forth about having an event this weekend for those interested.  So far the idea is to keep it simple, but allow us all to get together without waiting a month(that is for those not making the FCL).  Something like bring your own snacks, and nothing major planned but some chattin and meeting all the great cachers we have in town.  Here are some tentative ideas, certainly it's flexible so chime in if you have any input.  Saturday, 2pm, we were looking inside the beltway.....maybe TC Jester or CyFair Park.  I think CyFair has a covered area in case of inclement weather, I am not sure on TcJester.  Incidentally, so far the plotted high temps look to be around 80 so this could be a beautiful afternoon.  I would love to post this one online as well, but we all know how PA will react to my last minute idea.  I have tried to get the word out to cachers on the North Side who don't participate in the website to get them coming, so far there are a few interested.  Anyway who needs the smiley to get together, not me :D, I already have mine.  Please add your thoughts and let us know if you are interested, I know it's last minute but with the weather this weekend we didn't want to pass up the opportunity.

I'll check with the family....I need more specifics about the park, like where its at  :D. I'd hate to be the only one at the wrong party! Jeff's outa town, but I'll see what he says when he gets back....it might just be ME... :o what a concept!

So far we have been looking off of I-10 and 290, inside the beltway.  Of the ones I know there is Moffit, TcJester or CyFair.  We were looking around there thinking it would be pretty short for anyone to drive, about 45 minutes from the Woodlands, same from Sugarland.  If you have any park ideas it's an open floor.  The best part about this last minuteness is it's flexible.  I hope you can make it, I suppose we should get solid on the location by sometime tomorrow, so if anyone has ideas shoot now.

OK, I have figured something out tx secsy...what I thought was CyFair Park is actually Bane Park.  I has a covered area with picnic tables, though not huge, a playground, fishing pond and some ballfields.  Here is the link for location and info, let me know what you think?  http://www.hcp4.net/parks/bane/index.htm

Nice park.....can we have beer  ;)? Doesn't say we can't....I'm thinkin all those circus animals are gonna be thirsty  :D.

I'm lookin forward to it. We should find some caches in the area!

Count me in. I am kidless and my trip to Austin has been postponed. Woohoo.....

gsguru

Hmm.. Tough choice.. TPB and I were thinking about going to the Renfest. How flexible is the time?

OOOOooOOOOoo, I wanna go to Renfest! (Mynda hasta work though  :( )

But I'll probably go to this event if you nail down a time and place in time for me to make plans.

Weekend update.....

Here is some info for this Saturday->

As their has been no suggestions for a different park, we'll  be doing this at Bane Park, link here http://www.hcp4.net/parks/bane/index.htm.  Unfortunately there is a rule against alcoholic beverages as this is a family oriented park(sorry tx secsy).  Doesn't mean they won't know the difference if your careful but there will likely be posted signs just so you know ahead of time.  As wild as 5SH is, I don't think I'll need any alcohol to have a good time(some of you may know what I mean).  This park has a pavilion, picnic tables and a pit, if anyone wants to bring some hot dogs for themselves.  We however don't have to pay anything at this park, and make no reservations, versus Spring Creek Park where we could have alcohol if we pay 125 bucks and make reservations.  It is also quite a bit further out.  Anyway as far as times go 5SH and I talked about starting around 2PM and going until whenever.  There is a good chance this will go all the way to dark and may spawn some night caching, who knows.  So as far as flexibility goes, people can come anytime from 2 till sunset.  Hit it after the game, or before Renfest, or whatever works best for you individually.  I plan to be around as long as there are cachers around to hang out with.  5SH undoubtedly has tricks up his sleeve, as others may, for this event.  There is no required reading however and no massive planning on this one so mostly it will be what everyone is looking for, a get together and chat event.  Please let me know if anybody needs anymore details or if I have left anything out.  Hope to see you there.

Auggg to you all, let  it be know to all the ole Bosun will  set sails on this event , far and above my sailing horizions , lookin fwd to seeing all and same bushwaching and keel hullin, nar did i say chow will be served, but I will be  bring my own basket of fruits, goodies, and blessings for our caching friends in B-Town, looking fwd to the git-together

pipe me onboard at 4 bells.

Bosun

My class will extend on how to drive a car with a cast on your RIGHT leg....NOT! :D I will also be teaching a class on basic mathematics for the CHICKENS (cough-5sh-cough) who won't attempt Briar Knoll  ::)

All BS asside me and my non-beer will be there!

this sounds like a LOT  of fun!  no cleaning up to do.  no meals to plan.  no drinks to buy.  just show up and enjoy. cooooool...way cool.  don't know that i can make it, though.  but i printed out the map and  would love to see folks there...especially if 5SH has anything up his sleeve!

I just received an email from FSC about this event.  Keith ihas been told he has off for the weekend so we are planning ondriving down that morning and will see you at the park with Abbe of course.  It will be great to see everyone again after all this time.   

Weekend update.....

Here is some info for this Saturday->

As their has been no suggestions for a different park, we'll  be doing this at Bane Park, link here http://www.hcp4.net/parks/bane/index.htm.  Unfortunately there is a rule against alcoholic beverages as this is a family oriented park(sorry tx secsy).  Doesn't mean they won't know the difference if your careful but there will likely be posted signs just so you know ahead of time.  As wild as 5SH is, I don't think I'll need any alcohol to have a good time(some of you may know what I mean).  This park has a pavilion, picnic tables and a pit, if anyone wants to bring some hot dogs for themselves.  We however don't have to pay anything at this park, and make no reservations, versus Spring Creek Park where we could have alcohol if we pay 125 bucks and make reservations.  It is also quite a bit further out.  Anyway as far as times go 5SH and I talked about starting around 2PM and going until whenever.  There is a good chance this will go all the way to dark and may spawn some night caching, who knows.  So as far as flexibility goes, people can come anytime from 2 till sunset.  Hit it after the game, or before Renfest, or whatever works best for you individually.  I plan to be around as long as there are cachers around to hang out with.  5SH undoubtedly has tricks up his sleeve, as others may, for this event.  There is no required reading however and no massive planning on this one so mostly it will be what everyone is looking for, a get together and chat event.  Please let me know if anybody needs anymore details or if I have left anything out.  Hope to see you there.

OK. I should be there with the dogs. Mynda has to be at work by 1, so she won't make it.

O0  O0  O0  Whoop, Whoop, Whoop

Got my new head lamp that I won at the Grillin' and Chillin' event that I need to break in..... woohoo!!

I am sooo excited. Lots of fun...  ;D  ;D

gsguru

I think Frances has some family coming to visit her this weekend, if so I will try to stop by for a little while.

I remembeer the park well, seems we looked forever for a Babslover cache in the trees behind the pond.

Yes you should bring Abbe's playmates.  I have those items for you to blend as well!!

Mentioning that cache reminded me that I lived right by that park and I just remembered that park is used as a sports field on weekends where a few hundred people gather for baseball games.  I know when I took Abbe there for runs it was very difficult to park (sometime not able to park) and even find a table to sit at.   The nicer the day the more people who are at the park also because the library is adjuacent and they use the same parking lot.

Has anyone called to find out if the park is being used this Saturday?  It is not very large at all so if a game/s is going on we will have a problem unless someone gets there "early" in the day and holds tables and grills.  You cannot bring your own grills onto this park.  I am sure this has all been checked out, I just wanted to bring it to light in case it hasn't been.

See you Saturday!!

Hey TK, wanted to let you know I already tried to contact the CyFair sports folks, haven't heard back yet.  Also 5SH or I should be arriving pretty early so we can grab as much seating as possible, it can't be reserved and is first come, first serve.  Past that I would suggest everyone bring a park chair if they have one as you might do with any park event.  I would also suggest people try to park west of the ballfields as this is closest to the pavilion, if that is full you can park in the much larger lot by the library.  We've been doing everything we can to ensure this goes without a hitch, if you think of anything else please let me know, I appreciate your input!!!  I look forward to seeing everyone there.

I did get a hold of Bane Park and there are games scheduled for that day.  My suggestion would be to grab the area to the left of the entrance gate right behind the brick building.  If memorary serves me correctly that is a pretty good area and keeps us out of the entrance gate and gets off the beaten path and out of the playground. 

When you come in the gate from the main parking lot you have the playground and the pavillion immediately there.  To your right you have some  ground then another fiield.  The pond is sort of in the middle of the park with the back of the park lined with woods.  To the left is the other area of grass.  That is the best area with the most trees and such.  You don't want to get to close to the pond as there are lots of kids playing, the ducks, people fishing etc.  The games start at 9 am but she did say that could change.  I am sure we will leave earlly.  Keith is use to getting up at 4 am  ughhhhhhhhh  Of course  I don't  LOL  Let me know if I should bring anything in particular.

If anyone has a geocaching event flag or other sign and wouldn't mind bringing it along I'd appreciate it.  I am having quite a time trying to locate or create one.  Thanks

Sam has a banner. I think Mudfrog had it on loan though.. Not sure if he returned it or not before Rita. Alternatively we could park Snoogans kinda out front by the road. He makes a great landmark.  :)