ohl hockey guy

Longest since last find

1,355 posts in this topic

Can someone please forward me some info on the process y'all are using to get the out-of-commission caches archived? I'm very glad progress is being made on the list TW referred to, but there are a bunch of caches up here in our neck of the woods that just need to go away...

I know some consider this to be "South Dallas" up here, but really it's not quite that far north LOL!!

Can someone please forward me some info on the process y'all are using to get the out-of-commission caches archived? I'm very glad progress is being made on the list TW referred to, but there are a bunch of caches up here in our neck of the woods that just need to go away...

I know some consider this to be "South Dallas" up here, but really it's not quite that far north LOL!!

Russ, send me the name and GC number of them and I'll add them to the list, research and prioritize them, and beginning sending batches to PR. We've just had a few point people (and random people) sending them to PR in small batches. There were a couple of other reviewers helping out at the beginning, but PR killed them off and peed on a few trees to mark his territory. It's been a touch-and-go process over the last several months, let's just say that. 

Huff-Suter likes this

We'll get a list generated and sent to you Brian.

I guess what I'm asking is, what is or should be the proper protocol for beginning the process of getting a cache archived? Should we as cachers log a "DNF" then after a handful of DNF's log a "Needs Maintenance", then after a certain period of time with no interaction from the CO log a "Needs Archived" or what? Just wondering...

Now if we can just get event owners to archive their past events.  :angel:

Post a Note or a Needs Archive to it.  Usually two weeks after the event is plenty of time for everyone to have logged it.

And you can still log it after it's archived.  So no issues there.   It's just that people simply forget.  A note ought to do the trick 99% of the time, I'd think.

Funny because last night we got an Attended log on one of our events back on 19 Sep 13. Someone was just catching up.

Now if we can just get event owners to archive their past events.  :angel:

Post a Note or a Needs Archive to it.  Usually two weeks after the event is plenty of time for everyone to have logged it.

Post this note on the questionable cache:  "Greetings, there is no dishonor in archiving a cache that has become a problem to maintain.  At a later date, when you have more time, you can always submit a new cache.    Peace AND CACHE ON!"

Thanks Bert.  It looks like the Kingwood area and south is starting to get some attention. Started a list this morning for north of Kingwood and will send it to TW as he requested. It sure would be nice to see some of the neglected caches up this way disappear too!

I also post this:  Hello my fellow geocachers! A good group of us well-meaning cachers including the SETX Rep of the Texas Geocaching Association are trying our best to urge local cache owners to bring their caches up to snuff. I really enjoy finding local caches. Could you take a look at the cache(s) needing maintenance, or do like I do - simply archive them until I can build new ones. Thanks folks and keep caching.

I know it will make some folks mad, but taking 3 months to repair a cache is a bit excessive, I would think and in an area as big as Houston/Beaumont, this could mean there are  50  279 broken caches waiting on the CO to repair them.

Edited by Baytown Bert

Thanks Bert for reminding me to archive Sleeper Cells.  I had taken all the elements of the cache down in Jan with the intent of archiving it, but I had forgotten to (or more likely - was loathe to actually kill it outright).  I had fun building the cache and reading the logs, so I guess I was a bit slow to actually pull the trigger.   Call me sentimental.

Your note also encouraged me to archive my remaining caches as they are simply not getting much run any longer.  It's something I've been considering for a while, but this was the impetus I needed.

Baytown Bert likes this

Whew!  I do not know when I post these innocuous reminders if I am going to piss someone off.  I practice what I preach as do others.  If one of my caches becomes a troubled child, I simply archive it and look for a new place to put one.

Jhawk! likes this

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity.  The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems.  The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

green-eyed likes this

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity.  The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems.  The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

Sorry, boss. I've been hunkered down for 4 weeks on a big project, so I haven't had time to go look for any of them. Since I'm on loan for this project, they've promised me my very own tape measure at the end of the project. I bet it's a 12-foot tape measure...  :)

Dhaulaghiri and Jhawk! like this

I hate to see folks archive caches just because they no longer receive much activity. The whole point of the LSLF list is to encourage people to find those gems. The archival of lost and abandoned caches is simply an offshoot of that and, frankly, becomes the focus a little too often.

Sorry, boss. I've been hunkered down for 4 weeks on a big project, so I haven't had time to go look for any of them. Since I'm on loan for this project, they've promised me my very own tape measure at the end of the project. I bet it's a 12-foot tape measure... :)

Hmmmm wonder what we can measure that might be 12' long? :o

I understand Larry. I've always appreciated the list you maintain and in the past was active to nab those older caches.  It was fun finding caches which hadn't been found in such a long time. I hope you continue it.  

At some point, however, I'd rather archive them then maintain them.  I kept them for a while after I moved, just because they were among my favorites.  

BB's somewhat self-righteous note (no matter how well intentioned) was just the final push I needed to close them down and open up the area for LPCs and shrubbery caches.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. I hate offending anyone and in a perfect world, everyone would love me and I would love them and we'd never offend each other. But in this instance I agree with Bert I'm afraid. If I can't maintain one of my caches I will either adopt it out or shut it down. In my area of town it's particularly important because the area is a bit saturated and many of them haven't been found in a year or more or are in areas that are being bulldozed for more subdivisions. I don't think it's necessarily self-righteous... just a little nudge to do what needs to be done. Just my opinion though... I know they are a dime a dozen! ;-)

Dhaulaghiri, GASTX and TexasWriter like this

PR's been busy!  He disabled or archived 23 long-forgotten caches on the list in the last 24 hours!

Now I know why he hasn't published my new caches.  He's been doing other things for the last seven eight days...

TexasWriter and Dhaulaghiri like this

Is there a time limit associated with how long you can "Unlike" something that you accidentally liked? I don't get the option on something I accidentally liked two days ago.

Some of this discussion smacks of Home Owner Association's. And, while I know HOA's are well-meaning, in principle, they can get carried away and get things wrong. ( "you have planted tulips instead of pansies in your front bed without our consent, or ...uh oh, they didn't like our shade of redwood stain on our backyard fence...but I digress)

Sometimes, there are really good explanations for caches to be disabled for lengthy periods of time, exceeding 3 months. Dangerous construction near GZ is one reason. Permits and permission are another. Temporary lack of easy access is another. I'm sure there are more legitimate reasons. If it's a good spot, I don't want to risk losing it by archiving! People need to suck it up and wait in these cases.

Please keep these possibilities in mind before you post a "needs archived" log entry, or go writing love letters on disabled caches. And, for the love of everything Geocaching, please read the whole description and all of the logs for an explanation before you post a nasty gram.

The loss of even one well-meaning CO over a misunderstanding is a terrible price to pay.