ohl hockey guy

Longest since last find

1,379 posts in this topic

Just an idea:

How about we form a CacheSavers committee that organizes a mini-event where we all get together and discuss ways to save/adopt caches as well as contact cachers that may have dropped off for any number of reasons.   This has been done elsewhere in the country.

You get with PR, too, to coordinate some of this.

This way the community wins because some great caches are saved and some of the geo-litter is removed, all the while keeping any angst down because no one wants to be perceived badly or as vindictive.

We've never hosted an event (yet) so we're not sure of all the details but would be happy to be part of forming up such a committee and being involved.  :)

I probably wouldn't be able to attend any of the meetings, but If I got an email about caches in my area I would love to help. I totally agree with cachers who maintain neglected caches just so others get to enjoy the cache as we have done.

Maybe, some time this month I when I am "test driving" my jeep I will check on the two closest to my house that I have found. Those two are the Where and the Cedar Hill on Charlotte caches. When/if I do I will post it here.

I looked at Where and No Smoking a couple of days ago.  As far as I can tell, the only way to get to them is to drive down a gravel driveway off of Mallet Ln. -- a driveway that is clearly marked with a "Posted - No Trespassing - Keep Out" sign.

7e12ed2f-beaf-4639-8fd3-37fb61c77a31.jpg

I posted a "Needs Archived" on No Smoking.

From what I remember, that drive does look kind of familiar but I will go back and look around. 

Just an idea:

How about we form a CacheSavers committee that organizes a mini-event where we all get together and discuss ways to save/adopt caches as well as contact cachers that may have dropped off for any number of reasons.   This has been done elsewhere in the country.

This way the community wins because some great caches are saved and some of the geo-litter is removed, all the while keeping any angst down because no one wants to be perceived badly or as vindictive.

We've never hosted an event (yet) so we're not sure of all the details but would be happy to be part of forming up such a committee and being involved.  :)

I love this idea! As someone who regularly tries to go after caches on this list I would love to see some of them saved. Others are just irritating because you know they aren't there but no one will take the time to try to find them since they are puzzles or multis. And Prime Reviewer won't do anything with only one or two DNF's. It's a great proactive way to keep the litter down and open back up some areas for new caches. I would happily volunteer for something like this. Good idea! O0 O0

MIGO (Michigan) cachers have a rescue committee that checks when a couple dnf's or maintenance is posted and the owner can't get there someone will. We have a cache in the Upper Peninsula and  don't want to arrchive it so all it takes is a email and someone from the area will help out. It would be nice for something like that around here.   

MIGO (Michigan) cachers have a rescue committee that checks when a couple dnf's or maintenance is posted and the owner can't get there someone will. We have a cache in the Upper Peninsula and  don't want to arrchive it so all it takes is a email and someone from the area will help out. It would be nice for something like that around here.   

But, that works because there are only 7 caches in Michigan. :2funny:

Just an idea:

This is a wonderful idea and you can count on Tim and I to participate.  I would like to take a moment to publicly thank HC for taking care of a couple of our caches that needed minor maintance when he found them.  With the price of gasoline, Tim and I have been a little reluctant to put out more caches because it is all we can do to maintain the ones we currently have.  With a committee, or just adopting a standard of cache maintenance when needed would be an awesome idea.  As for putting on an event, there are several of us that will be more than happy to assist you with that.  Your a great leader so keep the great ideas coming! O0

A few thoughts:

1.  I don't think a committee is needed.

2.  If you wish to maintain caches who are owned by others, just do it.  I always bring extra logs, baggies, and cache maintenance items and use them often.  I alway appreciate it when folks put new, dry logs in mine if they are needed.

3.  I don't want to maintain a bunch of "throw down" caches and would rather open up the area to new caches (smileys) which may be of better quality.

4.  I think folks should just maintain their caches or archive them.  Yes, folks fall out of caching or leave them unattended for a variety of reasons, but there is already a process to deal with these. 

5.  If you can adopt them (which usually requires the permission of the cache owner) then do so.

6.  If not, then go ahead and maintain the cool ones. I maintain (unofficially) a very cool puzzle cache in Dallas where the owner has been missing and not answered e-mails for a long time.  I've since seen several others find it and it's very satisfying for me... and them. I have no idea what happened to the owner and just hope they are OK.

7.  If a cache is not worthy of maintaining (your judgment) and it is not being maintained, then request for PA to archive it and move along.

Having said that...maybe I'll put out a new container for "Pearl Lake" to help out Bosun...

FWIW...

Time's a Wastin' was found today by Zephyr.  Who said blondes couldn't solve complicated puzzles?  Betcha TDW can't figure that one out!  :2funny:

Time's a Wastin' was found today by Zephyr.  Who said blondes couldn't solve complicated puzzles?  Betcha TDW can't figure that one out!  :2funny:

He should be able to figure it out.  He's always wasting time.  :2funny:

Way to go Zephyr. That is quite a puzzle.

Okay..let's see.  Mickey's Big Hand is where?

seiko_mickey_arms_men.jpg

I'm impressed! :)

Nice watch.

Just saw this posting this morning. Larry, you are TOO much!!  >:DO0 O0 O0

Zephyr :crazy2: :crazy2:

More importantly, this weekend ATMA went with us to grab FTFC#29 Count me out, which had just been over a year with the last find in April 2007 by Tantillos.com.  Thx to all who verified my puzzle solving info!  O0

Zephyr

Yes, and that was a lot of fun too. O0

• May Update:
    Since the last update, 3 caches on the list were found, 5 were archived, 4 were temporarily disabled, and 8 more were added to the list.  As of April 30th, there were 44 active caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months.  They are:

• Far Side GCM9JV - last found on 2/5/06 by GrangerFam.
    • Swamp Treasure GCT8JV - last found 5/21/06 by Monkey's Uncle.
    • Boggy Bayou Basin GCKAGH - last found on 7/8/06 by GrangerFam.
    • Jack's Pocket Cache (aka Mudfrog's Nemesis) GCGQPM - last found on 8/6/06 by ComicBookCacher with a couple of DNF's since.  This cache has had exactly 2 finds in the 4-1/2 years since it has been placed.  Mudfrog reports that it may be missing.
    • Doggie Paddle Island GCNRM1 - last found on 9/3/06 by KingwoodGeo.
    • Cypress Creek Walk #4 GCG4YZ - last found on 9/17/06 by kokopellitoki and cpadgett13, with 4 DNF's since.  OSC reports it to be a goner for certain.
    • BELLAIRE CHRISTMAS CACHE GCHDPJ - last found on 10/29/06 by stcymcc with 6 DNF's since.  Looks like it's MIA.
    • Where? GCZRR8 - was last found on 12/21/06 by Woodpicker, Mudfrog, BizzyB, tuba_dude, and Ribbitz.
    • Cedar Hill on Charlotte GCNXBH - was last found on 12/24/06 by CacheCow_Queen with 2 DNF's since.
    • Pelican P** Island GCY42F - was last (and first) found on 12/27/06 by MooseTrainer.  Only one find in the 20 months since the cache was published!
    • Working Title GCXZ2R - was last found on 1/7/07 by GrangerFam with 3 DNF's since, including one by me.
    • Duck Hunter's Cache GC212F - was last found on 1/13/07 by TeamZZ.
    • OVERDUE GCH97J - was last found on 1/28/07 by Pepper.
    • Pigg in a Poke GCEFE3 - was last found on 2/3/07 by Larry53 with 3 DNF's since.
    • Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - was last found on 2/9/07 by WTT-B2 with one DNF since.
    • "Oldies but Goodies" GCV5VJ - was last found on 2/11/07 by Muddy Buddies with two DNF's since.
    • X Doesn't Mark the Spot!  GCX2D9 - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
    • Keith-Weiss GCH97J - was last found on 2/25/07 by Muddy Buddies with one DNF since.
    • Cambridge Village Kids Cache GCRNNJ - was last found on 3/4/07 by MAES and Team Tulip with one DNF since.
    • Halle Berry GCZR35 - was last found on 3/4/07 with two DNF's since.  Missing??
    • Tree Family Reunion GCRZ8N - was last found on 3/5/07 by Shorty17 with one DNF since.
    • CHIN GI GCRN9E - was last found on 3/6/07 by dragonhunter223.
    • Double Shot GCKGFZ - was last found on 3/10/07 by teamCull and Jarihend with one DNF since.
    • Enchanted Paradise GCW51B - was last found on 3/11/07 by Jarihend with one DNF since (by me).
    • The Meaning of Thanksgiving GCRDPJ - was last found on 3/15/07 by Mudfrog and Woodpicker.
    • 646: A or B GCW2GV - was last found on 3/15/07 by Drew8 with two DNF's since.
    • bellaire multi-cache GCHDPF - was last found on 3/16/07 by teampants with a couple of DNF's since.
    • LH 3 -- Travis Park GCGATW - was last found on 3/16/07 by texaslandrover and kd&prettierhalf with 5 DNF's since.
    • Leonardo da Vinci GCXQY8 - was last found on 3/16/07 by Drew8 with two DNF's since.
    • Transit of Venus GCJMXW - was last found on 3/17/07 by CindyFrag and cybercat
    • FTFC #14 - A Tribute Cache GCR3PW - was last found on 3/18/07 by CaptainConcrete with one DNF since.
    • Sugar Land East GCKWQ0 - was last found on 3/19/07 by greenehorn.
    • Creekside Cache GCYFN0 - was last found on 3/22/07 by Mysteria with two DNF's since.
    • Looking Down the Creek GCVP81 - was last found on 3/24/07 by teamCull.
    • ODS: {Donnie Darko} GC10A2K - was last found on 3/24/07 by Piman314.
    • HAVEN'S CACHE GCPF8E - was last found on 3/29/07 by yours truly with 4 DNF's since.  This one appears to be a goner.
      • Running Bull GCPVC5 - was last found on 4/1/07 by klm28 with one DNF since.
      • Caching Along the Brazos #2: Pirates GC11DH6 - was last found on 4/30/07 by  Georeynozos and Muddy Buddies with 2 DNF's since.
      • Butterflies are Free to Fly GCTVY9 - was last found on 4/15/07 by CacheCow Queen with one DNF since.
      • Redbeard's Treasure GCTRJW - was last found on 4/16/07 by CAEDDA with 3 DNF's since.
      • Silly Season GCRVBV - was last found on 4/21/07 by Rich & Lola.
      • FTFC #29 Count me out GCZ9GZ - was last found on 4/22/07 by tantillos.com (it has since been found on May 4th by ATMA and Zephyr01)
      • FTFC #16 - mtp 2nd Anniversary GCRKVQ - was last found on 4/26/07 by sbergeon with one DNF since.
      • Ellipse II GCX6VE - was last found on 4/29/07 by Muddy Buddies with one DNF since.

Now off the list:

• King Kong Lives! GCTMBR was found April 13th by pblt, cachers from Austin who snagged it while on a 56 mile bike ride.  Way to go!
  • Time's a Wastin' GCMA2X was found April 23rd by Zephyr01.  Good job, Lisa!
  • The Spot We Found! GCH97J was found on April 27th by teamcull.  Congrats!

Other changes since the last update:

ANCITW #5 GCND8M was archived.

Mlaapum mlaapum to GCG8R1 was temporarily disabled by Prime Reviewer.

Pearl Lake GCJ4PC was archived.

Trees of Oak Lake GCRRVM was temporarily disabled by Prime Reviewer.

Keep It Constant GCTP04 was archived.

Armand Bayou GC11EE was archived by Prime Reviewer.

the lone ranger GCW3BH was temporarily disabled by Prime Reviewer.

Sadie, Sadie - Geocaching Lady GCD540 was archived.

Enchanted Paradise II GCYK00 was temporarily disabled by Prime Reviewer.

Sorry it took so long to get the list out this month, but work and life got in the way.  Turns out that a couple of the caches on the list have been found since the first of May, which will of course be noted in next month's update.  The list got slighly shorter this month, thanks in part to GrangerFam's and others actions to get obviously missing caches disabled or archived.

• June Update:
    Since the last update, 4 caches on the list were found, 2 were archived, 1 was temporarily disabled, and 4 more were added to the list.  As of May 31st, there were 42 active caches within a 50 mile radius of downtown Houston that have not been found in over 12 months.  They are:

• Far Side GCM9JV - last found on 2/5/06 by GrangerFam.
    • Swamp Treasure GCT8JV - last found 5/21/06 by Monkey's Uncle.
    • Boggy Bayou Basin GCKAGH - last found on 7/8/06 by GrangerFam.
    • Jack's Pocket Cache (aka Mudfrog's Nemesis) GCGQPM - last found on 8/6/06 by ComicBookCacher with a couple of DNF's since.  This cache has had exactly 2 finds in the almost 5 years since it has been placed.  Mudfrog reports that it may be missing.
    • Doggie Paddle Island GCNRM1 - last found on 9/3/06 by KingwoodGeo.
    • Cypress Creek Walk #4 GCG4YZ - last found on 9/17/06 by kokopellitoki and cpadgett13, with 4 DNF's since.  OSC reports it to be a goner for certain.
    • Where? GCZRR8 - was last found on 12/21/06 by Woodpicker, Mudfrog, BizzyB, tuba_dude, and Ribbitz.
    • Pelican P** Island GCY42F - was last (and first) found on 12/27/06 by MooseTrainer.  Only one find in the 20 months since the cache was published!
    • Working Title GCXZ2R - was last found on 1/7/07 by GrangerFam with 3 DNF's since, including one by me.
    • Duck Hunter's Cache GC212F - was last found on 1/13/07 by TeamZZ.
    • OVERDUE GCH97J - was last found on 1/28/07 by Pepper, with two recent DNF's.
    • Thorolfur's Treasure GCM9VJ - was last found on 2/9/07 by WTT-B2 with one DNF since.
    • "Oldies but Goodies" GCV5VJ - was last found on 2/11/07 by Muddy Buddies with two DNF's since.
    • X Doesn't Mark the Spot!  GCX2D9 - was last found on 2/18/07 by Muddy Buddies.
    • Keith-Weiss GCH97J - was last found on 2/25/07 by Muddy Buddies with two DNFs since.
    • Cambridge Village Kids Cache GCRNNJ - was last found on 3/4/07 by MAES and Team Tulip with one DNF since.
    • Halle Berry GCZR35 - was last found on 3/4/07 with three DNF's since.  Missing??
    • Tree Family Reunion GCRZ8N - was last found on 3/5/07 by Shorty17 with one DNF since.
    • Enchanted Paradise GCW51B - was last found on 3/11/07 by Jarihend with one DNF since (by me).
    • The Meaning of Thanksgiving GCRDPJ - was last found on 3/15/07 by Mudfrog and Woodpicker.
    • 646: A or B GCW2GV - was last found on 3/15/07 by Drew8 with two DNF's since.
    • LH 3 -- Travis Park GCGATW - was last found on 3/16/07 by texaslandrover and kd&prettierhalf with 5 DNF's since.  OK, three of the DNF's are by the same cacher.
    • Leonardo da Vinci GCXQY8 - was last found on 3/16/07 by Drew8 with two DNF's since.
    • Transit of Venus GCJMXW - was last found on 3/17/07 by CindyFrag and cybercat.
    • FTFC #14 - A Tribute Cache GCR3PW - was last found on 3/18/07 by CaptainConcrete with one DNF since.
    • Sugar Land East GCKWQ0 - was last found on 3/19/07 by greenehorn.
    • Creekside Cache GCYFN0 - was last found on 3/22/07 by Mysteria with two DNF's since.
    • Looking Down the Creek GCVP81 - was last found on 3/24/07 by teamCull.
    • ODS: {Donnie Darko} GC10A2K - was last found on 3/24/07 by Piman314.
    • HAVEN'S CACHE GCPF8E - was last found on 3/29/07 by yours truly with 4 DNF's since.  This one appears to be a goner.
      • Parabola II GCV6VH - last found on 3/29/07 by Muddy Buddies with 2 DNF's since.
      • Running Bull GCPVC5 - was last found on 4/1/07 by klm28 with three DNFs since.
      • Caching Along the Brazos #2: Pirates GC11DH6 - was last found on 4/30/07 by  Georeynozos and Muddy Buddies with 2 DNF's since.
      • Butterflies are Free to Fly GCTVY9 - was last found on 4/15/07 by CacheCow Queen with one DNF since.
      • Redbeard's Treasure GCTRJW - was last found on 4/16/07 by CAEDDA with 3 DNF's since.
      • Silly Season GCRVBV - was last found on 4/21/07 by Rich & Lola.
      • FTFC #16 - mtp 2nd Anniversary GCRKVQ - was last found on 4/26/07 by sbergeon with two DNFs since.
      • Ellipse II GCX6VE - was last found on 4/29/07 by Muddy Buddies with one DNF since.
      • Alex's Kidz Cache #2 GC108PB - was last found on 5/15/07 by ljtxhiker.
      • Yellow GC12CDV - was last found on 5/19/07 by GrangerFam with 3 DNF's since.
      • Thinking Outside the Box GCK0DY - was last found on 5/24/07 by fendmar.
      • Nature's Magic GCN429 - was last found on 5/26/07 by teamCull with 2 DNF's since.

Now off the list:

• Cedar Hill on Charlotte GCNXBH was found on May 11th by Hanson-Brown and MoussiferRex.  Way to go!
  • Double Shot GCKGFZ was found on May 25th by GrangerFam.  Congrats!
  • bellaire multi-cache GCHDPF was found on May 30th by sunshot99
  • FTFC #29 Count me out GCZ9GZ was found on May 4th by ATMA and Zephyr01.  Good job, guys!

Other changes since the last update:

BELLAIRE CHRISTMAS CACHE GCHDPJ was archived.

Pigg in a Poke GCEFE3 was temporarily disabled by PR.

CHIN GIGCRN9E was archived.

The list keeps getting slightly shorter, but there are still quite a few most-likely-MIA caches on the list.

I found Transit of Venus on June 1st. I tried to find it a couple of times without any luck and finally asked GrangerFam if he would check it since he had found it before. He couldn't find it either and posted a note to the page and geowyz quickly replaced the cache and I was able to log it. Thanks GrangerFam and geowyz!

I bet Tree Family Reunion GCRZ8N is missing as the last find was in Aug 2006 by Jarihend.  Shorty17 posted a find, but the write up says they didn't find it.  Also the owner hasn't logged in in almost a year.  :(

Halle Berry is just around the corner from me.  I will try to get out this week and check on it since I have previously found it.

I found Transit of Venus on June 1st. I tried to find it a couple of times without any luck and finally asked GrangerFam if he would check it since he had found it before. He couldn't find it either and posted a note to the page and geowyz quickly replaced the cache and I was able to log it. Thanks GrangerFam and geowyz!

Congrats on that!  I was going to give you props for finding that, but decided to put it in the July update.

I bagged the oldest one on the list today. O0 Far Side was almost completely filled and covered by termites but it was still there. It needs maintenance though after over two years without a find since the termites have eaten the pages out of the logbook.  :o

I bagged the oldest one on the list today. O0 Far Side was almost completely filled and covered by termites but it was still there. It needs maintenance though after over two years without a find since the termites have eaten the pages out of the logbook.  :o

Great going!!!  Keep working on that list.  O0 O0

Where? GCZRR8 - was last found on 12/21/06 by Woodpicker, Mudfrog, BizzyB, tuba_dude, and Ribbitz.

I seriously don't think this one is accessible anymore. I've been out there and everything is private property now.

Congratulations, Fendmar!!  O0 O0  You are doing a great job of chipping away at the list. (And making it easier for the rest of us to find these elusive caches too! :D)

I got really lucky on Boggy Bayou Basin over the weekend. Spotted an area that fit the hint and hit paydirt!!! I never did find a good resource for the information needed to calculate the coordinates.

I got really lucky on Boggy Bayou Basin over the weekend. Spotted an area that fit the hint and hit paydirt!!! I never did find a good resource for the information needed to calculate the coordinates.

Congrats on your find - saw your log and thought sometimes it's better to be lucky than good  O0